New Orleans makes promise to take Deron Williams

Passion

Deron Williams to New Orleans

Sources have indicated that the New Orleans Hornets have a promise to take star Illinois point guard Deron Williams with the 4th pick. Williams is widely considered a top 5 pick among scouts, and while it's unlikely he'll go top 3, look for him to end up 4th.

The Hornets were said to originally be high on Gerald Green and may have even told him they were planning to take him 4, however in the past week things seem to have changed. It's not clear if Green's agent's (Andrew Vye) decision to work him out individually was the cause, but after trading away their franchise point guard, Baron Davis toward the end of the season, the Hornets find themselves in a position to add a quality PG with either Chris Paul or Deron Williams, whichever of the two falls to them.

http://www.nbadraft.net/draftbuzz042.asp

All I can say is wow if this is true.

Chris Paul will most likely still be on the board and he was the consensus top PG in the draft, or so I thought.

I like Deron very much but since he has signed with an agent, I do not see the need to committ to him this early since he is not going anywhere.

Maybe they know something about a team that wants him really badly and are trying to get them to trade up right now, but if not I can not see the point of announcing this right now.

Additionally, the Bobcats would end up with Paul, the player they have always wanted and that would be a great match as he gets to play for his hometown team.

What makes you think the Trail Blazers wont take Paul at no. 3?

807662[/snapback]

After taking Telfair in the lottery and starting him down the stretch, with their committment they have been trying to show him, I just do not see them justifying taking another smallish PG this year.

He shot horrendously, but as a PG straight out of HS last year he avg 12.5ppg and 6.7apg as a starter in April. Decent numbers.

Almost every mock draft Ive seen has them going with Paul.

I think they take the best available player at 3, and that's Paul.

807735[/snapback]

The Insider mock has Gerald Green at 3, as have most I've seen. The only one I have seen with Paul at 3 is the NBADraft.net, which also has some crazy picks like CJ Miles and Rudy Fernandez in round 1, along with Monta Ellis in the top 15.

Hoops Hype has Paul at 3.

CBS has Paul at 2.

Own The Draft has Paul at 2.

Hoopsworld has him at 2 or 3.

Its basically a crap shoot at this point...I think Paul will go at 3.

807853[/snapback]

Yeah I have seen alot I can list with him at 4 or 5 and Green at 3. But I guess thats what draft night is for and will determine. So I guess for now and our own opinions we will have to agree to disagree. Hopefully the Heat take a worthwhile player. The draft seems to have a lot of depth at the back end this year instead of just superstar power in the front. Could be a very exciting overall draft.

Even as an Illinois fan, I question Deron going that high.

IMO Luther Head could be the best NBA player of the Illini trio of guards.....unlike Deron, he has yet to reach his ceiling, and his tenacious d (no pun intended) amazing athletic ability and improving shooting could turn him into a very good NBA player.

Almost every mock draft Ive seen has them going with Paul.

I think they take the best available player at 3, and that's Paul.

807735[/snapback]

that's because Paul is one of the top 3 players in the draft (along with Marvin Williams and Andrew Bogut). Most people are having Paul go number 3 because talent-wise he's a top 3 player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta take him at 2, but if they don't he would go to either New Orleans, Charlotte, or Utah.

If Portland does take him, he'll probably be traded. I fully expect Portland to take Gerald Green no matter what.

Deron is going to be Jason Kidd IMO

808817[/snapback]

Agreed.. I'm surprised Craig isn't building him up. I think he has GREAT point guard intangibles. 4th is too low, imo.

808947[/snapback]

He will be a real good pro. but after watching him for 3 years I just can't see him being the next Jason Kidd.

Eh, maybe seeing him everygame spoiled me and I don't realize how good he really is...

Guest Fritz

One possible trade scenario would have Orlando sending Jameer Nelson and their 11th pick (and possibly an additional protected first or player) to New Orleans to acquire the 4th pick to take Deron.

http://www.nbadraft.net/draftbuzz045.asp

Interesting....I think he's a better fit for Utah then Orlando...

820414[/snapback]

Hopefully that means we're getting rid of Steve Francis.

One possible trade scenario would have Orlando sending Jameer Nelson and their 11th pick (and possibly an additional protected first or player) to New Orleans to acquire the 4th pick to take Deron.

http://www.nbadraft.net/draftbuzz045.asp

Interesting....I think he's a better fit for Utah then Orlando...

820414[/snapback]

Hopefully that means we're getting rid of Steve Francis.

820425[/snapback]

Im praying this happens. If Williams is all people claim he is, then pairing him up with Dwight could create the next Stockton/Malone. Paul would be a good option too. It would also give the team leeway to trade Francis. However if it does happen, I think a team is going to want Nelson which most Magic fans seem not to like.

The Orlando Sentinel say the Magic will likey stay with the 11th pick and they won't include Hedo or Jameer in a trade.

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted June 23, 2005

Basically resigned to standing pat at No. 11 in Tuesday's NBA draft, the Orlando Magic have whittled their choice down to four or five likely candidates.

Depending on their availability, they are small forwards Hakim Warrick (Syracuse) and Joey Graham (Oklahoma State, after transferring from UCF), power forward Charlie Villaneuva (Connecticut) and shooting guards Antoine Wright (Texas A&M) and Martell Webster (Seattle high schooler).

The Magic say they would love to see small forward Danny Granger (New Mexico) or center Channing Frye (Arizona) fall to them, but those scenarios aren't likely.

Magic Player Personnel Director Dave Twardzik said Granger's stock "has been rising," as has Frye's.

Warrick's athleticism intrigues the Magic. Most mock drafts have him being picked during the last half of the draft. Named the Big East Player of the Year, Warrick averaged 21.4 points and 8.6 rebounds last season as a senior.

Twardzik said the Magic are "looking for a guy who can play, period," regardless of position, and believe they can find one at No. 11.

"You got to take the best player [available], and if that duplicates talent, that's a good problem to have. You'll have an asset to maybe trade," said Twardzik, currently sharing the role of general manager with Player Development Director Otis Smith. "Unless you have one of the top picks or you can dictate the draft -- like we did last year -- you take the best player. If they are close in talent, then you fill a need."

Orlando needs a point guard, especially if Steve Francis plays shooting guard next season. But the best point guards will be gone by the time the Magic select, and the most sought-after big men are Andrew Bogut (Utah) and Frye (Arizona), so they are expected to be gone, too.

Twardzik said the Magic also need "a shooter and another big" to complement Dwight Howard. He said the Magic have explored trying to trade up but doesn't expect a deal to materialize. Orlando is unwilling to include, say, Jameer Nelson or Hedo Turkoglu in a package.

To grab a point guard, the Magic likely would have to acquire the No. 3 pick held by the Portland Trail Blazers -- who don't need a point guard -- or the No. 4 pick held by New Orleans. The Hornets, Charlotte Bobcats, Utah Jazz, Toronto Raptors and the L.A. Lakers need point guards, and all draft ahead of Orlando and likely can produce better deals.

The Magic have discussed possible scenarios to trade up for point guards Deron Williams (Illinois) and Raymond Felton (North Carolina) and shooting guard Gerald Green, a 6-foot-8 high school star from Houston.

Williams and Felton are projected to go in the top seven picks. They both have worked out for the Magic, as has Granger. The Magic tried to bring in Green for a workout, but his camp declined.

Link