Hayden Penn scouting report

Teal Shadow

Background: Penn's baseball experience and success were limited in high school because he also spent a lot of time on the basketball court. He was the eastern San Diego area player of the year after averaging 24 points and 11 rebounds a game as a senior. He broke out in 2004, jumping all the way to Double-A and being named Baltimore's minor league pitcher of the year.

Strengths: Penn has the stuff to pitch at the front end of a rotation. His plus changeup is his best pitch now, and he also has an 89-92 mph fastball that touches 94 and a curveball that's above average when it's on. What the Orioles really like, though, is his pitching savvy. He pitches above his age and experience, working inside, pitching to weak contact and showing a knack for reading hitters' weaknesses.

Weaknesses: Penn mainly needs innings. He didn't make his pro debut until 2003, was shut down halfway through the season, and opened 2004 in the Delmarva bullpen to reduce his workload. His curveball still requires work.

The Future: It's early, but Penn's fast progress got the Orioles excited. He'll go back to Double-A Bowie to open 2005.

it seems he was rush through the system and has little experience pitching while in HS. This kid should be in high Single A right now.

Where does he rate in their system? Does anyone know if they have many other arms in their system, or would he be regarded less highly in a pitching strong system like our own?

862315[/snapback]

If he keeps devolping, he is a future # 1 or # 2 starter in the bigs. Doesn't matter what system he is in.

Where does he rate in their system? Does anyone know if they have many other arms in their system, or would he be regarded less highly in a pitching strong system like our own?

862315[/snapback]

There are other arms, overall the farm is somewhat weak but pitching is strong. Adam Loewen a high 1st round pick froma couple years ago is on his way, another is JOh Maine who is doing very well in triple A , just to name a couple.

862315[/snapback]

If he keeps devolping, he is a future # 1 or # 2 starter in the bigs. Doesn't matter what system he is in.

862318[/snapback]

He was there best pitching prospect

Background: Penn's baseball experience and success were limited in high school because he also spent a lot of time on the basketball court. He was the eastern San Diego area player of the year after averaging 24 points and 11 rebounds a game as a senior. He broke out in 2004, jumping all the way to Double-A and being named Baltimore's minor league pitcher of the year.

Strengths: Penn has the stuff to pitch at the front end of a rotation. His plus changeup is his best pitch now, and he also has an 89-92 mph fastball that touches 94 and a curveball that's above average when it's on. What the Orioles really like, though, is his pitching savvy. He pitches above his age and experience, working inside, pitching to weak contact and showing a knack for reading hitters' weaknesses.

Weaknesses: Penn mainly needs innings. He didn't make his pro debut until 2003, was shut down halfway through the season, and opened 2004 in the Delmarva bullpen to reduce his workload. His curveball still requires work.

The Future: It's early, but Penn's fast progress got the Orioles excited. He'll go back to Double-A Bowie to open 2005.

it seems he was rush through the system and has little experience pitching while in HS. This kid should be in high Single A right now.

862310[/snapback]

I think if this trade goes through, which I think it is, Wiley would be a great influence on him. Maybe they keep him in the bullpen to get the work that he needs and gets a few spot starts here and there against some cupcake teams. All of this is depending on us actually keeping the kid, which i don't think we will. He is gonna be trade bait with Willy to bring in a big bat. I also think that Olsen and/or Vargas struggle or Beckett is hurt again we will trade enc for an arm. I am willing to bet that Penn wont be a marlin for more than 24-48 hours.

I am just throwing out the two likiest scenarios IMO

862315[/snapback]

#1 pitching prospect, #2 overall(behind Nick Markakis- who Im not sure why we arent making a play for)

Guest FlummoxedLummox

Where does he rate in their system?? Does anyone know if they have many other arms in their system, or would he be regarded less highly in a pitching strong system like our own?

862315[/snapback]

#1 pitching prospect, #2 overall(behind Nick Markakis- who Im not sure why we arent making a play for)

862343[/snapback]

You don't need position players in the minor leagues. :plain

Where does he rate in their system?? Does anyone know if they have many other arms in their system, or would he be regarded less highly in a pitching strong system like our own?

862315[/snapback]

862343[/snapback]

What position does Nick play?

Penn is probably our #1 or #2 pitching prospect. He was called up to replace Bedard. They called him probably because another more obvious callup from AAA (Maine) has been.... mediocre. They didn't want to mess up his routine, and Bedard was only supposed to be out 2 weeks. Penn looked good and very poised at first. But Bedard's 2 weeks turned into 2 months. As good as Penn looked, he showed that he wasn't ML ready yet. Good stuff, head not quite caught up yet. He's a good chance to be a #3 ish starter in the MLs, maybe better.

Markakis is a college pitcher turned outfielder. Our #1 position prospect. .294/.375/.464 10HRs 53 RBIs in 80 games at low A.

Penn's fastball is better than 89-92. Supposedly in Bowie this season it's been routinely 94-97, and was clocked at 101 once. It was around 94 during his starts with the Orioles, I think.

864460[/snapback]

And he has a developing change-up. Ray Miller is all about the change. Penn lost faith in his last couple starts, but he was the Terminator early on.

I like Mark Wiley, but then when you have to deal with Burnett who will not listen to anyone on the planet about making some sort of change life can be difficult at times. Seemed to work well with Dontrelle in the spring, sorting out his sometimes variable delivery and making it more regular, but maintaining his deception. The hitting coach on the other hand, well thats a different story.

I think that Penn is the key to this trade and will fit in well with our numerous young arms we have in the minors. We have too many dang arms down there actually (if that is possible). I guess wiley must of really liked this kid or else Julio to press for this trade.

But, if it is the trade with pitt I like it. If it isnt, then I dont.

Hayden Penn has a nice 3-pitch repertoire. His fastball usually sits

in the low-90s, his change-up can be a strikeout pitch, and his curve is

solid-average. His best attributes are his ability to pitch to most of the

plate and his fearlessness. He likes to challenge hitters up in the zone with

the gas and then he drops a change on them.

I wouldn't say Penn is a #1 starter in the majors, but he should become

a #2/3 starter. He would really benefit from pitching in a big park like in

Florida because he likes to pitch up with the heater. He's very similar to

Atlanta's Kyle Davies.scouts view