Gammons Latest...

Boog Sciambi

What's the deal?

The Marlins and Orioles want the A.J. Burnett deal to happen. Peter Angelos just doesn't want to pay more than $10 million of the $18 million Mike Lowell has remaining on his contract, and Florida's goal is to clear Lowell's money, put Miguel Cabrera at third, take the savings and go back into the market and try to make a run.

And, oh by the way, firing Jack McKeon isn't part of the plan. The front office feels something has to be done to shake up the team, but replacing McKeon isn't it.

If the deal were to go through, Hayden Penn would go to Double-A, Admin Bigbie would platoon with Jeff Conine and Lowell would play first for the Orioles. Then, Florida would try to make another deal or two to strengthen its pitching.

I guess Loria won the Beinfest/Loria duel about whether or not to fire Jack. However at this point the Front Office should do anything in its power to turn around this team, if that includes firing Jack then I am all for it. Of course this is also Gammons... yea... he apparently was right on with this whole Baltimore thing... done deal and all... yea. lol.

This is what baffles me, we lose 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 and Mkeon is expected to be fired but then we win 1 game and all of the sudden the team doesnt want to fire him and never did.

867292[/snapback]

Before the game last night on the Arizona broadcast they said Florida personnel had mentioned a change in manager is not in the plans (not in those words but it was the point)... so has nothing to do with the fact we won.

jack is a fine manager, and the only reason to fire him is pure despiration - no one knows what to do, so fire the manager. while i wouldn't cry if it happened, i can see why they are avoiding it....really, it's a move made because there's nothing else to do, not because it's the right thing to do. and that's not exactly smart business.

and those of you who say "he's lost some of the players"....Penny and Jack never got along during the 2003 season, but he was one of our World Series heroes. i think stuff like that is overrated. the only person who could possibly benefit from that kind of change is Lowell, but i don't even know if that is the answer for him. Pierre was struggling too, and he pulled himself out of it without any changes in leadership.

This is what baffles me, we lose 3 in a row and 4 out of 5 and Mkeon is expected to be fired but then we win 1 game and all of the sudden the team doesnt want to fire him and never did.

867292[/snapback]

Before the game last night on the Arizona broadcast they said Florida personnel had mentioned a change in manager is not in the plans (not in those words but it was the point)... so has nothing to do with the fact we won.

867353[/snapback]

Seeming I watch the Arizona Brodcast

and those of you who say "he's lost some of the players"....Penny and Jack never got along during the 2003 season, but he was one of our World Series heroes. 867368[/snapback]

I don't think that they hated each other, always remember last game of the San Francisco series, it was Penny who was next to Jack, making sure that he wasn't going to injure himself after the game, and helping him up the steps. I think that he must have at least respected Jack as a person. Jack's gripe with Penny was everyones gripe with Penny, don't look at the speed gun reading after every pitch!!

and those of you who say "he's lost some of the players"....Penny and Jack never got along during the 2003 season, but he was one of our World Series heroes. 867368[/snapback]

I don't think that they hated each other, always remember last game of the San Francisco series, it was Penny who was next to Jack, making sure that he wasn't going to injure himself after the game, and helping him up the steps. I think that he must have at least respected Jack as a person. Jack's gripe with Penny was everyones gripe with Penny, don't look at the speed gun reading after every pitch!!

867398[/snapback]

yeah, i guess what i'm saying is - i don't think everyone loves everyone all the time, and if they don't like each other, it probably doesn't impact all that much. I'm sure Encarnacion was not a huge fan of McKeon's when he started this year off, but he still had one of his hottest hot streaks ever.

it's entirely possible that Jack has "lost" this team. But if we win our next 5 games, think that will help Jack "find" the team again? me too. they are tuning out because we are losing, not because of anything Jack's done.

867398[/snapback]

yeah, i guess what i'm saying is - i don't think everyone loves everyone all the time, and if they don't like each other, it probably doesn't impact all that much. I'm sure Encarnacion was not a huge fan of McKeon's when he started this year off, but he still had one of his hottest hot streaks ever.

it's entirely possible that Jack has "lost" this team. But if we win our next 5 games, think that will help Jack "find" the team again? me too. they are tuning out because we are losing, not because of anything Jack's done.

867412[/snapback]

Totally agree with you, a winning team solves a lot of clubhouse issues, didnt mean to sound argumentative, and I think that if this team gets on a roll (with or without changes) the team will be "found". Losing at any level of sport sucks, and I'm sure the players are frustrated, and a lot of the media leaks from players come after frustrating losses, I mean who hasnt gotten annoyed after the game and let off a head of steam at a teamate.

:thumbup

867370[/snapback]

Unless I imagined it, they said it :mischief

867403[/snapback]

they said it, you arent imagining things.. Or are you ? hehehe

867414[/snapback]

:kissing ass

Never mind we dont have that smilie

867370[/snapback]

Unless I imagined it, they said it :mischief

867403[/snapback]

they said it, you arent imagining things.. Or are you ? hehehe

867414[/snapback]

:kissing ass

Never mind we dont have that smilie

867452[/snapback]

seriously they did say that. I will ask one of my friends to check their Tevo( sp???) hehehe But I am almost positive it was said. Jack isstaying till the end of the year folks.

Most of the blame falls on the players for this year so far , however i dont think McKeon has managed all that well either. While his moves dont seem to be working whether they are text book or gut realistically who are we going to replace him with let McKeon finish out the year after 2003 he has earned that much then next year move in a different direction.