Two Small NL-East Trades

FutureGM

-The Phillies traded Tim Worrell to the D-Backs in exchange for infielder Matt Kata.

-Meanwhile, the Braves strangely traded Kevin Gryboski to the Rangers for pitching prospect Matt Lorenzo.

I don't understand why either team would make those deals, the Braves' bullpen needed Gryboski, and I thought the Phillies needed Worrell more than another second baseman.

Guest FishFanInPA

Tim Worrell has been so bad.. beyond terrible this year.

aren't they calling up Cole Hammels soon anyway?

869748[/snapback]

Hamels just got hurt....Plus....they actually gave up cash too to get Worrell off their hands...makes no sense.

Guest FishFanInPA

So instead of paying the whole contract to an AWFUL reliever, they only have to pay some of it? Why doesn't that make sense?

869754[/snapback]

Because the purpose of trading is to get rid of money and get rid of bad players.....

For TB they get cash, a possible closer for the year when they move Baez.

For Phillies they get rid of a guy that has been horrible for them and save some cash.

For the braves, that pitcher will end up a 20 game winner, 200k guy that will win the cy young. Always happens. Unless Mazzoni takes the deal from the yanks and runs (we can hope).

for texas they are just dumb.

I'm surprised they traded Gryboski, I thought he was one of their better bullpen arms

869843[/snapback]

That's what I thought. What's even stranger is the fact that they traded him for a guy who has a 7.53 ERA in Double-A. Even in Single-A, his ERA wasn't any lower than 4.

So instead of paying the whole contract to an AWFUL reliever, they only have to pay some of it? Why doesn't that make sense?

869754[/snapback]

Because the purpose of trading is to get rid of money and get rid of bad players.....

869775[/snapback]

And they did both.. LOL

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.