Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WHAT THE f*** IS EMO???

Featured Replies

A type of music that, unfortunately, has evolved into a societal mainstream dictating appearances and personalities though the music is supposed to be against mainstream societal movements like that. Hence, a large trendy movement that has always existed and then the "underground" equally as popular and possibly larger movement of being "unique" and "yourself" but not accomplishing either.

something that is "bleh"

 

A group of people who believe they have to dress a certain way and look a certain way in order to fit into this mold. Pretty much like every other "style" that relates to a musical taste.

A bunch of whiney trust fund babies who feel they are seperating themselves and being individuals by listening to a certain type of music and a certain type of clothing.

 

The first emo kids back in the late 80's early 90's were a key part of the alternative rising, now it's a joke as the kids all dress alike and pretend to be hopeless romantics and yet say their individuals.

 

I liken it to the hair metal craze of the 80's

  • Author

Isn't punk and emo the same thing?

Are there any stations that play this type of music, because it's still not clear to me.

Isn't punk and emo the same thing?

Are there any stations that play this type of music, because it's still not clear to me.

874318[/snapback]

 

not really, you will usually see these kids hang out together tho, punks and 'emo kids'....atleast thats how it was in high school a couple of years ago. It was really undefined and it has turned out into some sort of a mainstream movement. Some of them wear thick black elvis costello type glasses....they look all depressed and wear vintage shirts....its a needless label like someone else said but the music is out there and some of it is really good....the roots of it come from the late 80's early 90's with Mineral (not the metal band) ,sunny day real estate.....my ex girl wasnt into the whole scene but thats what she listened to , i was into punk but its good stuff.

 

you can check out www.purevolume.com

I love "emo". And not because it's "cool", but because I like the music...a lot.

 

But you're right. Most people have made it seem like its cool to listen to it and dressing "emo" is cool. f*** that, I like the music a lot but I dont go around dressing a certain way.

 

And I dont appreciate it when people generalize everyone who listens to it.

i listen to it and i really like it but some high school kids get into the scene and dress a certain way just to fit in and be part of a group just like every other stereotype im sure. I didnt mean to generalize everybody that listens to it....thats just what some try to aim for.

 

old school saves the day, old school tbs, jimmy eat world's clarity, ataris , saosin, circa survive, mars volta, good stuff!

old school saves the day, old school tbs, jimmy eat world's clarity, ataris , saosin, circa survive, mars volta, good stuff!

874398[/snapback]

:thumbup

 

That's what I mostly listen to. I still love Taking Back Sunday, but their old stuff was definitely better.

 

Oh yeah and the Starbucks scene...what the hell is that? Wasting 5 dollars everyday to be cool? Pfft.

old school saves the day, old school tbs, jimmy eat world's clarity, ataris , saosin, circa survive, mars volta, good stuff!

874398[/snapback]

:thumbup

 

That's what I mostly listen to. I still love Taking Back Sunday, but their old stuff was definitely better.

 

Oh yeah and the Starbucks scene...what the hell is that? Wasting 5 dollars everyday to be cool? Pfft.

874403[/snapback]

tbs's first cd is a classic in my book. You wouldnt happen to go to goleman?

old school saves the day, old school tbs, jimmy eat world's clarity, ataris , saosin, circa survive, mars volta, good stuff!

874398[/snapback]

:thumbup

 

That's what I mostly listen to. I still love Taking Back Sunday, but their old stuff was definitely better.

 

Oh yeah and the Starbucks scene...what the hell is that? Wasting 5 dollars everyday to be cool? Pfft.

874403[/snapback]

tbs's first cd is a classic in my book. You wouldnt happen to go to goleman?

874407[/snapback]

Yep. I love their first album.

 

Actually, I do. Why?

Isn't punk and emo the same thing?

The Clash and The Ramones are rolling in their graves at the uttering of this statement

I didn't realize emo was anything more than a type of music featuring a lot of whining. This is all very interesting...

 

But, in any case, emo and punk are most definitely not the same thing...totally different attitudes...

I love "emo". And not because it's "cool", but because I like the music...a lot.

 

But you're right. Most people have made it seem like its cool to listen to it and dressing "emo" is cool. f*** that, I like the music a lot but I dont go around dressing a certain way.

 

And I dont appreciate it when people generalize everyone who listens to it.

874363[/snapback]

 

:notworthy

 

Hey MikeyFan have you ever heard of The Academy Is...? I've seen them in concert a couple times and they've become one of my favorite bands.

emo has somewhat filtered itself into every aspect of music. its a true virus to society ... just the label but whatever

 

I think that some of what is considered "emo" nowadays its just simply pop punk. to me all these "warped tour" bands are simply pop punk bands

 

 

I dig some early rootsy stuff

 

 

sunny day real state - diary

weezer - pinkerton

hum - downward is heavenward

hot water music (g?ville represent) - forever and counting

mineral - endserenading

texas is the reason - do you know who you are

lifetime - jerseys best dancers

 

now I have a question ... what I dont understand is how everyband could potentially be emo? bands get that dumb label all the time: the strokes, belle & sebastian, mars volta, interpol even the white stripes. whats that about?

 

 

im so totally emo and so is moby

 

:plain :plain

emo = emotional

 

 

isnt all music emotional?

 

 

its all rock n roll to me

874320[/snapback]

but rap is crap

874327[/snapback]

 

 

:thumbdown

I love "emo". And not because it's "cool", but because I like the music...a lot.

 

But you're right. Most people have made it seem like its cool to listen to it and dressing "emo" is cool. f*** that, I like the music a lot but I dont go around dressing a certain way.

 

And I dont appreciate it when people generalize everyone who listens to it.

874363[/snapback]

 

:notworthy

 

Hey MikeyFan have you ever heard of The Academy Is...? I've seen them in concert a couple times and they've become one of my favorite bands.

874427[/snapback]

I like alot of emo music (by the way, LOL at all of you who gave such grown-up, scientific, rambling answers...) but the Academy Is sounds like a direct rip off Fall Out Boy...

Here's something I find viciously ironic. As our civilization experiences unprecedented comfort and luxury the rate of whining and bitching has increased almost as a function of said wealth. It appears that as we are robbed of things to bitch about we must seek others to bitch about, even if they are non-existent, in effect creating an endless chain of possible reasons to bitch. If these poor fools knew anything of how an Irish/Italian/Polish/Jewish/African person lived in 19th century they might s*** themselves and then vomit.

 

But really most of this stuff is prepacked along with the look. Prepacked culture for a generation so bereft of things to bitch about it needs to wallow in fabricated coolness to take its mind of its lack of excuses.

emo = emotional

 

 

isnt all music emotional?

 

 

its all rock n roll to me

874320[/snapback]

but rap is crap

874327[/snapback]

You can't spell crap without rap. :plain

Definition of emo

 

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.