July 31, 200521 yr A teary-eyed Buddy Groom was so upset about being designated for assignment yesterday that he wanted to send a message to relievers who might consider joining the Yankees. "Don't come here thinking you might get a chance at a lot of opportunities," he said, "because unless you're one of Joe's boys, you're not going to get a shot." Although Joe Torre agreed that the lefthanded reliever wasn't used regularly during his three-month stint here, Torre took offense at Groom's assertion that he plays favorites. "If I started pitching or playing guys because I liked them, or didn't play them because I didn't like them, I'm doing a disservice to the rest of the team," Torre said. "If I've ever done that," he added, "I'm not aware of it." The Yankees made the Groom move to create room for lefthander Alan Embree. Torre and GM Brian Cashman delivered the news to Groom yesterday morning in Torre's office. "They just said they got Embree and that's it," Groom said. "It wasn't anything like I hadn't done the job or whatever. Maybe it was my age? I don't know." Groom, 40, who had pitched four times since June 25, was most angry about his role. Lefthanded hitters were 13-for-49 (.265) against him this year, but his stats improve greatly if you remove a two-inning mop-up stint at the end of a 17-1 loss May 28 against Boston; then lefthanded hitters are 8-for-41 (.195) against him. Lefties are 22-for-70 (.314) vs. Embree. "Buddy just wasn't given opportunities," Cashman said. "That's what it came down to. He's obviously got abilities. He's a good man. Hopefully, I'll be able to put Buddy in position to compete on a daily basis somewhere else. I'll try to find a trade." What a clown. http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/ny-...eball-headlines
July 31, 200521 yr Torre should pull a Pedro and say "WHO IS BUDDY GROOM???" Buddy Groom?!!? Who cares if this guy is bitter he is gone.
July 31, 200521 yr You don't just GET opportunities when you're in a championship chase, you earn them. 'nuff said.
August 1, 200521 yr You don't just GET opportunities when you're in a championship chase, you earn them. 'nuff said. 882584[/snapback] how can he earn them if he dosent play?
August 1, 200521 yr And yet his point as to why the heck he was replaced by Alan Embree is valid. 881699[/snapback] so true. if he had been replaced by a lefthander that had been doing his job thats one thing. but i could probably get more batters out than alan embree at this point.
August 1, 200521 yr You don't just GET opportunities when you're in a championship chase, you earn them. 'nuff said. 882584[/snapback] how can he earn them if he dosent play? 882912[/snapback] 24 games pitched, a 5 ERA. He had his shot. He sucked. Embree has more potential to be an asset to the Yankees than Buddy Groom.
August 1, 200521 yr Maybe if Groom actually performed well, he'd have an opportunity to pitch. Talk about sour grapes.
August 1, 200521 yr Buddy Groom doesn't have the right to call out Joe Torre. If his name was Mariano Rivera, then maybe.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.