Let's Talk About Rivalries...

Mark

Tell me what you think about sports rivalries in general...which ones are the best? most bitter? historically which ones were best?

First of all, in it's heyday, the Avs - Wings rivalry was easily the most violent, bitter rivalry I've ever seen. I still remember seeing Claude Lemieux checking Kris Draper's face into the boards, and then watching the two teams rack up penalty minutes the next couple games. Then the following season watching the puck drop to start the game followed by Darren McCarty and Lemieux fighting right after that. Good times.

Pistons - Lakers back in the day was an awesome rivalry. Pretty much because of the whole "Bad Boys" vs "Showtime" theme.

Florida - FSU is crazy. So much tension the whole time, so competitive. And there always seems to be the chance of a on field brawl between the two football teams. It rolls over into other sports as well. The baseball super regionals were pretty wild this year. Georgia - Florida is pretty much the same. Lots of historical hatred between the two schools. And I see Tennessee - Florida approaching that level. None of these are as good without Spurrier, but I can see Urban renewing some of the hate.

Red Sox - Yanks, of course.

I have trouble finding a good, long-standing NFL rivalry because teams talent fluctuates so much in the NFL. Yes, the Dolphins have had some good conference rivalries, but I don't see them on the scale as "Big" rivalries.

The Bears-Packers is a pretty good one, but again, the Bears just haven't been on the same level the last several years. Same with the Raiders-Broncos.

Florida-UM was the best in the state bar none until the Gators chickened out.

Heat-Knicks rivalry of the 90s was one of the best ever.

Bill Russel-Wilt Chamberlain...

Toronto Maple Leafs-Detroit Red Wings...

Edmonton Oilers-Calgary Flames (Who could forget the classic battles for Alberta)...

New York Rangers-Islanders

And perhaps the most viscious of them all...

Toronto-Ottowa-Montreal...

Baseball, we all know about Sox and Yanks, Dodgers and Giants, St. Louis and Cubs etc.

883748[/snapback]

That's the typical unedcuated, high school dropout, gold toothed Hurricane 'fan' comment. It wasn't cost effective for UF to play a home and home once they took on the full SEC schedule. Unlike other schools in this state, UF is a great overall athletic association that looks beyond one or two sports.

But that is for another time another place.

883748[/snapback]

That's the typical unedcuated, high school dropout, gold toothed Hurricane 'fan' comment. It wasn't cost effective for UF to play a home and home once they took on the full SEC schedule. Unlike other schools in this state, UF is a great overall athletic association that looks beyond one or two sports.

883754[/snapback]

Ok, so Title IX takes precedence over the best rivalry in the state. Give me a break.

Last I checked UM had a pretty good athletic association as well. From Football to Baseball to Women's Basketball and Soccer to Tennis. The swimming team was a power for a long time as well.

And now I am an uneducated, high school dropout? Thats the typical elitest, wishes they could go to UM, Gator fan remark.

883748[/snapback]

883754[/snapback]

Puh Puh Puh Please dont give me that excuse. UM had been drilling them every year and knocking them out of any possible championship. The only reason why I respect FSU is because they never dropped UM from their schedule. Cost effective my ass. They rather play Eastern Louisiana State Tech than play UM, dont give me cost effective cause they made boku bucks playing UM at home or at the OB.

883748[/snapback]

883754[/snapback]

Puh Puh Puh Please dont give me that excuse. UM had been drilling them every year and knocking them out of any possible championship. The only reason why I respect FSU is because they never dropped UM from their schedule. Cost effective my ass. They rather play Eastern Louisiana State Tech than play UM, dont give me cost effective cause they made boku bucks playing UM at home or at the OB.

883777[/snapback]

:notworthy

Maybe they should focus on that baseball national championship. :whistle

883748[/snapback]

883754[/snapback]

Ok, so Title IX takes precedence over the best rivalry in the state. Give me a break.

Last I checked UM had a pretty good athletic association as well. From Football to Baseball to Women's Basketball and Soccer to Tennis. The swimming team was a power for a long time as well.

And now I am an uneducated, high school dropout? Thats the typical elitest, wishes they could go to UM, Gator fan remark.

883774[/snapback]

You sir, are not close to even knowing one bit of information on any of this. Not even close, just stop talking already.

UF's athletic department is the class of the state. It finished 6th in the National rankings overall (Sears Cup) and has finished in the top 10 for many years in a row now. Miami is not even in the same league. It's laughable. And yes, I can justify an athletic program based on other sports just like you can justify an academic instituation based on the jazz band.

Wanted to go to Miami? Haha, that's a smart comment.

883748[/snapback]

883754[/snapback]

883777[/snapback]

You have no intelligence on the big business that is college athletics. Enough said.

You're nothing in this conversation.

Cost effective my ass. They rather play Eastern Louisiana State Tech than play UM, dont give me cost effective cause they made boku bucks playing UM at home or at the OB.

883777[/snapback]

I guess Florida could have played in the Big East all those years. Rutgers and Temple were always such good opponents. And don't forget about Pittsburgh back in the day, those guys were sick nasty.

883748[/snapback]

883754[/snapback]

883777[/snapback]

You have no intelligence on the big business that is college athletics. Enough said.

You're nothing in this conversation.

883787[/snapback]

Since I am "nothing" enlighten me. Dont spew this crap acting all superior. You say I know nothing, you say I am nothing yet you have no substance.

How have I had no substance. It wasn't cost effective when playing a full SEC football schedule against other big schools. That's all the substance you need.

btw, I work in an college athletics setting and am also a sport management major in my senior year. I think that may have something to do with this subject.

How have I had no substance. It wasn't cost effective when playing a full SEC football schedule against other big schools. That's all the substance you need.

btw, I work in an college athletics setting and am also a sport management major in my senior year. I think that may have something to do with this subject.

883802[/snapback]

Stop trying to be so damn defensive. I ask you to enlighten me. Just cause you say its not cost effective tells me nothing. Why, is it not cost effective? Just because they play big schools? Could you enlighten on the situation, Id like to be informed, so I dont have to be "nothing" in the future.

883802[/snapback]

Stop trying to be so damn defensive. I ask you to enlighten me. Just cause you say its not cost effective tells me nothing. Why, is it not cost effective? Just because they play big schools? Could you enlighten on the situation, Id like to be informed, so I dont have to be "nothing" in the future.

883812[/snapback]

First off, you have to be defensive with Miami "fans" (and I use the term loosely) because they usually don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Now on to the economics of it. UF decided to focus on the athletic department as a whole, spending money on other sports to strengthen them, i.e. many women's sports. With that said, and extra home and home series in football takes away a ton of revenue. So, they decided to pay a smaller school a pretty good amount of money to bring them into the swamp every year. It's basic college athletic economics. a lot of schools does it.

883748[/snapback]

883754[/snapback]

883774[/snapback]

You sir, are not close to even knowing one bit of information on any of this. Not even close, just stop talking already.

UF's athletic department is the class of the state. It finished 6th in the National rankings overall (Sears Cup) and has finished in the top 10 for many years in a row now. Miami is not even in the same league. It's laughable. And yes, I can justify an athletic program based on other sports just like you can justify an academic instituation based on the jazz band.

Wanted to go to Miami? Haha, that's a smart comment.

883785[/snapback]

I can base an academic institution based on what I want to learn last I checked.

I never did say UF's athletic dept was bad, I said that UM's was good last I chcked.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.