Vargas to start Friday

wanks1212

Manager Jack McKeon will give right-hander Brian Moehler an additional rest day before his next start. Rather than pitch Friday's series opener in Cincinnati, Moehler will go Saturday and Dontrelle Willis will stay on regular rest and pitch Sunday.

Rookie left-hander Jason Vargas will make his second major league start Friday. He is also penciled in for Wednesday's home game against the Diamondbacks.

Josh Beckett and Ismael Valdez will pitch the first and second games of Monday's doubleheader in Colorado, respectively.

The Marlins made a couple of transactions at Triple-A Albuquerque, releasing left-hander Matt Perisho and signing free-agent outfielder Jason Romano.

Designated for assignment on June 7, Perisho cleared waivers and was outrighted to Albuquerque. He was 0-2 with an 11.93 ERA in 17 games (one start) with 25 hits and seven walks in 141/3 innings for the Isotopes.

The Marlins are responsible for the remainder of his $475,000 major league salary.

Romano split the first four months this season between the Reds and their Triple-A Louisville affiliate. He has appeared in 129 games over four seasons with the Rangers, Rockies, Dodgers, Devil Rays and Reds.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

Well it's pretty much pitch Vargas in Cincinnati or Colorado, because of the need for an extra starter, or call up a Travis Smith, AAAA-type to spot start in one of the two hitters parks.

Neither one is an attractive option, and if McKeon decides to start Vargas, I'd rather him do it in Cincinnati than Colorado.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Are you sure Alfonseca is a free agent at the end of the season?

I thought he signed a multi-year deal. :mischief2

edit: I checked, he has a vesting clause for 2006 based on 65 appearances in 2005.

886963[/snapback]

McKeon'll just have to run him out there... :shifty

Well it's pretty much pitch Vargas in Cincinnati or Colorado, because of the need for an extra starter, or call up a Travis Smith, AAAA-type to spot start in one of the two hitters parks.

Neither one is an attractive option, and if McKeon decides to start Vargas, I'd rather him do it in Cincinnati than Colorado.

886948[/snapback]

SCOTT OLSEN anyone?

886948[/snapback]

SCOTT OLSEN anyone?

887072[/snapback]

Are you referring to his disastrous Philly start and saying that Vargas could experience a similar result and therefore he shouldn't start?

If so you'd rather have Travis Smith/John Reidling/Donovan Osborne/Les Walrond/Ariel Prieto/AAAA pitcher of the month make the spot starts?

I hope the Braves sign Perisho, then he can walk all the batters he faces and we'll be in good shape. Anyone kniw anything about the new outfielder?

887045[/snapback]

If the Braves sign Perisho, he'll probably turn into Mariano Rivera or something :thumbdown

887104[/snapback]

Nah, the scapeheaps they turn around atleast start with decent control

Not crazy about pitching Vargas in the hitters paradise that is Cincy...didn't we learn anything from Olsen?

Either way, hopefully he keeps the ball down.

886941[/snapback]

vargas began to feel discomfort in his elbow that game, which is why he didnt pitch that well..

vargas throws more strikes too, im excited to see him play..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.