American History

Guest markotsay7

Guest markotsay7

I have my final tomorrow and we were given the 5 essay questions ahead of time, of those 5 we'll be given 3 and have to write about 2. Can anyone help me with some ideas for some of these? I've already got the New Deal/Great Society one down. Thanks.

3 of these questions will appear on the Final, you must answer 2 of the 3 that appear.

1. Discuss the position, roles, & expectations of women OR African-Americans from the 1920s & how those positions, roles, & expectations change by the end of the course. What events and pieces of legislation contributed to these changes?

2. The ?Roaring Twenties? came to an abrupt close with the Great Depression of 1929. What were the long-term and immediate causes of the Depression? How did Presidents Hoover and Roosevelt differ in their approaches to return economic stability? Be sure to give specific examples for each. In the end, were they successful?

3. Although fascism had been defeated on the European continent, the peace negotiations between the victors after the Second World War initiated antagonism between the world?s two superpowers, namely the United States and the Soviet Union. How, where, and why did America fight this Cold War that lasted nearly five decades? Did its policies against communist expansion change over time? Give specific details and events.

4. Compare and contrast the New Deal and Great Society. Discuss the reasons they were started, the groups they targeted, their success, and their impact on long-range policy making.

5. Discuss America?s involvement in Vietnam & how it affected American foreign policy & American society at home.

I have my final tomorrow and we were given the 5 essay questions ahead of time, of those 5 we'll be given 3 and have to write about 2. Can anyone help me with some ideas for some of these? I've already got the New Deal/Great Society one down. Thanks.

3 of these questions will appear on the Final, you must answer 2 of the 3 that appear.

1. Discuss the position, roles, & expectations of women OR African-Americans from the 1920s & how those positions, roles, & expectations change by the end of the course. What events and pieces of legislation contributed to these changes?

umm, i know the 19th amendment was passed in i think 1918 that ended women's suffrage and enabled them the right to vote, but i believe post world war 1, they were still expected to do the things that women did back then and it wasn't until world war II where they started working in factories to create goods for the armed forces, now as we know women are as equal as men by the end of the century, even probably where the textbook ends probably about the watergate scandle.

2. The ?Roaring Twenties? came to an abrupt close with the Great Depression of 1929. What were the long-term and immediate causes of the Depression? How did Presidents Hoover and Roosevelt differ in their approaches to return economic stability? Be sure to give specific examples for each. In the end, were they successful?

i believe short term all banks were closed if i remember correctly for a few days as they did something, i'm sure something will pop into your head...um roosevelt had the new deal, and created roads and infrastructure which created jobs and so on...

3. Although fascism had been defeated on the European continent, the peace negotiations between the victors after the Second World War initiated antagonism between the world?s two superpowers, namely the United States and the Soviet Union. How, where, and why did America fight this Cold War that lasted nearly five decades? Did its policies against communist expansion change over time? Give specific details and events.

4. Compare and contrast the New Deal and Great Society. Discuss the reasons they were started, the groups they targeted, their success, and their impact on long-range policy making.

don't remember this

5. Discuss America?s involvement in Vietnam & how it affected American foreign policy & American society at home.

america got involved in vietnam because it was afraid that if they let communism spread into south vietnam then it would just spread like wildfires accross and would soon take over europe and asia. it tore society up at home because many many felt terribly against the war. can't remember specifics...

889370[/snapback]

hope this helps you out.

Women begin to take a much larger role in society. One they gain the right to vote, they become more liberated, as seen in much of the culture of the twenties, largely seen in swing. In sum, women for the first time feel they have a role in society outside of the home largely. You can almost classify this period as a pre women's revolution period. For african-americans, they continued to be marginalized in society, however you did see blacks begin to appear in more mainstream settings, and begin for the first time to play some sort of major role in society. Perhaps the biggest influence blacks made in the 20s dealt with entertainment from dance to music. (not sure how far the course goes) however you can discuss brown v board of education, civil rights movement, women's rights movements, wwII, etc as major catalysts for change.

long term cause of the depression was probably the end of world war I. You can also say hte major droughts in the midwest contributed to it somewhat as well. immediate causes include wide speculation in many things. panics, horrible fiscal policy, a time of great excess with little attention paid on the effects of all the excess. Hoover took a more behind the scenes attack for the Depression, Roosevelt much more straight forward. Hoover had a great fiscal mind, just no way to get it done after the Depression, Roosevelt was able to get at the people's hearts and was successful for the period as it put many people to work. We know a lot about what FDR did but forget largely about Hoover, mainly because he was the scapegoat for the depression.

sorry its late and i have absolute zero sources on anything, this is entirely winging it and rolling with what actually makes sense off the top of my head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.