NCAA bans Indian mascots, nicknames in postseason

D-Train35

Associated Press

Posted August 5 2005, 1:31 PM EDT

INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise.

The NCAA's executive committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.

Nicknames or mascots deemed ``hostile or abusive'' would not be allowed by teams on their uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

``What each institution decides to do is really its own business'' outside NCAA championship events, he said.

At least 18 schools have mascots the NCAA would deem ``hostile or abusive,'' including Florida State's Seminole and Illinois' Illini. The full list of schools was not immediately released.

Not all schools with Indian-related nicknames would be on that list. NCAA officials said some schools using the Warrior nickname do not use Indian symbols and would not be affected.

Vernon Bellecourt, president of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media, was pleased with the postseason ban but wanted even stronger action by the NCAA.

``We would have hoped the NCAA would have provided the moral leadership on this issue, but obviously they've chosen to only go halfway,'' said Bellecourt, a member of the Anishinabe-Ojibwe Nation in Minnesota.

The NCAA two years ago recommended that schools determine for themselves whether the Indian depictions were offensive.

Among the schools to change nicknames in recent years over such concerns were St. John's (from Redmen to Red Storm) and Marquette (from Warriors to Golden Eagles).

The NCAA plans to ban schools using Indian nicknames from hosting postseason events. Harrison said schools with such mascots that have already been selected as tournament sites would be asked to cover any offensive logos.

Such logos also would be prohibited at postseason games on cheerleader and band uniforms starting in 2008.

Ban them for the postseason but it's fine the rest of the year? Where is the logic in that?

I'm conflicted.

While I don't care at all about schools using Indian names and whatnot... I just don't like the idea of the indian mascot. That just seems wrong to me to make a "mascot" for a group.

I personally think the Indian side would do themselves a hell of a favor by getting the Chief Wahoo logo changed. THAT'S racist.

Guest Fritz

How anyone finds the FSU Seminoles remotely offensive is beyond me. It's not like they mock Indians in any way and it certainly doesn't cheapen the people. Frickin' PC morons.

How anyone finds the FSU Seminoles remotely offensive is beyond me. It's not like they mock Indians in any way and it certainly doesn't cheapen the people. Frickin' PC morons.

890119[/snapback]

yup.

if i were a red injun, i'd probably find "redskins" offensive.

if i were a seminole, i'd see the seminoles mascot as badass...i'd probably be proud of that.

Guest Fritz

I can see someone complaining about the Cleveland Indians logo or the name Washington Redskins, but the Seminoles thing is really cool and IMO very respectful.

This is stupid on so many levels. What's the point of having it apply to the post-season only?

And FSU isn't disrespectful at all. They have permission from the Seminoles to use the nickname.

Now the Redskins and Chief Wahoo...

890226[/snapback]

I agree. The Redskins and Chief Wahoo are not cool at all. And I believe the Fighting Illini also have permission for using the nickname from the few remaining members of the Illini tribe as well....

Guest Fritz

I can see someone complaining about the Cleveland Indians logo or the name Washington Redskins, but the Seminoles thing is really cool and IMO very respectful.

890122[/snapback]

idk Fritz, the chop is pretty disrespectful

890127[/snapback]

Are you kidding me?

Well, what if there was a team called "the Blacks" and had a white cheerleading dude running around in full sambo makeup doing jigs. People would have a problem with that. do it with any group but Native Americans and you have a problem.

That being said, The Fighting Whites are tight as hell!