Man Dies From 50 Hours Of Gaming

Passion

SEOUL (Reuters) - A South Korean man who played computer games for 50 hours almost non-stop died of heart failure minutes after finishing his mammoth session in an Internet cafe, authorities said on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old man, identified only by his family name Lee, had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cybercafe in the southeastern city of Taegu, police said.

Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play on-line games on August 3. He only left the spot over the next three days to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed, they said.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," a Taegu provincial police official said by telephone.

Lee had recently quit his job to spend more time playing games, the daily JoongAng Ilbo reported after interviewing former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe.

After he failed to return home, Lee's mother asked his former colleagues to find him. When they reached the cafe, Lee said he would finish the game and then go home, the paper reported.

He died a few minutes later, it said.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/PrinterFriendly...KOREA-GAMES.XML

Although this is an extreme case, the damage caused by video games is becoming an enormous problem not spoken of enough in day-to-day life. For example, husbands playing video games so much that they don't spend anytime with their spouse or children.

896145[/snapback]

Exactly, my mom and step dad are getting separated because he is always on his computer playing "everquest". He comes home from work, runs into his office and starts playing it usally with his door shut.. He eats dinner while playing that game.. He gets up at 3 AM and plays it.. Even during Christmas dinner last year he asked if 10 minutes was enough because he had to go back to playing that game.. He thinks "quality time" is watching tv with her and he usally falls asleep within 5 minutes.. Really sad. He'll end up losing everything.

Although this is an extreme case, the damage caused by video games is becoming an enormous problem not spoken of enough in day-to-day life.? For example, husbands playing video games so much that they don't spend anytime with their spouse or children.

896145[/snapback]

Exactly, my mom and step dad are getting separated because he is always on his computer playing "everquest". He comes home from work, runs into his office and starts playing it usally with his door shut.. He eats dinner while playing that game.. He gets up at 3 AM and plays it.. Even during Christmas dinner last year he asked if 10 minutes was enough because he had to go back to playing that game.. He thinks "quality time" is watching tv with her and he usally falls asleep within 5 minutes.. Really sad. He'll end up losing everything.

896167[/snapback]

That is one sick addiction. I'd feel pretty bad if I were having to battle for attention from my future wife and I was losing to a computer game.

Although this is an extreme case, the damage caused by video games is becoming an enormous problem not spoken of enough in day-to-day life. For example, husbands playing video games so much that they don't spend anytime with their spouse or children.

896145[/snapback]

Sounds like he's got it right. I'd rather play video games too!

Most people who play sports games play 1-2 games at a time with like 5 minute long football quarters not the hours and hours these fools play building up a charachter.

897224[/snapback]

Yes, I should've made that distinction, however there is also a segment of gamers that play the sports games and other non-character building type games to neglect of everything else.

Most people who play sports games play 1-2 games at a time with like 5 minute long football quarters not the hours and hours these fools play building up a charachter.

897224[/snapback]

Yes, I should've made that distinction, however there is also a segment of gamers that play the sports games and other non-character building type games to neglect of everything else.

897228[/snapback]

No doubt.

Now Id say add video game addiction up there with Drugs, Gambling, Sex, and Alcohol. Not always the same health and body altering effects but it can still numb the mind and lead to unhealthy habits.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.