Drew Weatherford to start Monday night

wanks1212

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college...ports-headlines

Seminoles to Start Redshirt Freshman at QB

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Redshirt freshman Drew Weatherford will start at quarterback for No. 14 Florida State in the season opener Monday against No. 9 Miami.

Weatherford beat out fellow redshirt freshman Xavier Lee for the job.

"It looked from about the third scrimmage on that Drew would be the guy you'd start," Florida State coach Bobby Bowden said Wednesday. "He has all the tools to be an outstanding quarterback."

Bowden said he considered Weatherford the starter and Lee, possibly, the closer.

"I want both of 'em practicing with a number one mentality," Bowden said.

The veteran coach said he expected Weatherford and Lee would battle throughout the season for playing time.

"They will continue this competition," he said. "This is not a season-ending contest."

The competition at quarterback came down to the two inexperienced passers when Wyatt Sexton was lost for the season to Lyme disease.

Weatherford played one play last season, spraining his ankle against North Carolina in the fourth game of the season. He had surgery on it this spring, but has been healthy throughout August, while Lee has been troubled with a sore arm.

Bowden said Wednesday that Lee's arm is now fine.

Not any shocking news there with Lee's arm problems.

Hopefully it'll be a long night for Drew.

Hopefully it'll be a long night for Drew.

923367[/snapback]

I wouldn't keep your hopes up.

923371[/snapback]

With all of the starters Miami has returning on defense, I will.

We'll find out Monday night, though.

923402[/snapback]

This is how I rate the game

Defenses

Both are two of the top defenses in the nation. I would give a very slight edge to miami for their sheer number of returning starters.

QB

I give the edge of Kyle slightly because he does have a little experience at least. The FSU QB Weatherford, wasnt even able to win the job till recently.

RB

Leowyn washington trumps a slimmed down boss. Edge to FSU

WR

UM has the edge with some of the best WR's in the country right now. Some of the best they have had since Andre Johnson left.

Special teams

UM once more has the edge with Hester returning kicks and their kicker

Other factors

Home field gives FSU a big edge to the game there. They are always tough at home.

Prediction still is UM to win the game.

Now I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I've been told by a few people that Miami might possibly have both the best D-line and the best LBs in the country...which almost certainly means they have the best front 7 in the country.

Which probably means this Weatherford guy is going to be sat on at some point in this game.

I like Miami in this one because I'm a homer, and also because in a game featuring 2 rooks at QB, I'm taking the scarier front 7.

Now I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I've been told by a few people that Miami might possibly have both the best D-line and the best LBs in the country...which almost certainly means they have the best front 7 in the country.

Which probably means this Weatherford guy is going to be sat on at some point in this game.

I like Miami in this one because I'm a homer, and also because in a game featuring 2 rooks at QB, I'm taking the scarier front 7.

923672[/snapback]

Canes might have the best defensive line, but no way in hell do they have the best LB corp, FSU, Iowa, tOSU all have superior units.

Now I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I've been told by a few people that Miami might possibly have both the best D-line and the best LBs in the country...which almost certainly means they have the best front 7 in the country.?

923672[/snapback]

Canes might have the best defensive line, but no way in hell do they have the best LB corp, FSU, Iowa, tOSU all have superior units.

923689[/snapback]

Willie Williams could be a breakout performer this year. The redshirt freshman might be the most talented LB in the country. He is a MONSTER

923672[/snapback]

923689[/snapback]

Willie Williams could be a breakout performer this year. The redshirt freshman might be the most talented LB in the country. He is a MONSTER

926174[/snapback]

Breaking out of jail or breakout?

I'm certain he'll be the former, not so sure about the latter, however, UM has a track record of great LBs, much like FSU.