Need some help

OldSand

I'm writing a position paper on the Miccosukees was wonderin if anybody knows any peculiar things customs whatever about them. The paper has no guidelines so I'm free to write about anything. It's due at midnight and I haven't even started so any info (any anthropology guys/girls here?) would be very helpful. Thx

As you are well aware, they were part of the group of Native Americans that the U.S. Government referred to as "Seminoles." They Lived in the area of what would be Georgia today, forced down into the depths of the Everglades and Big Cypress during the Seminole Indian Wars. The Miccosukee Tribe was actually split up, those captured being shipped to Oklahoma on the trail of tears.

In the early '60's, with the incredible fear of communism as a result of Cuba, The Miccosukee Tribe of Florida threatened to move to Cuba due to a lack of acknowledgement by the US. Fearing a major backlash (not to mention the great propaganda victory Cuba would receive from accepting Native Americans being ignored by the US,) a deal was struck. While most people believe the Miccosukee's reservation is a track of land along old U.S. Highway 41, it is not. The reservation is actually north of the current U.S. 41, crossing I-75 and areas to the north. The land most Miccosukees live on along old U.S. 41, was a result of their threat to move to Cuba. It was a 99 year, $1.00 lease, giving them full access for housing and administrative development on the northern boundry of Everglades National Park. In the last 10 years or so, the State of Florida has deeded most of the state owned land within that area to the Tribe. I do believe it is no longer an active lease, but the Miccosukees must deal quite a bit with the National Park since most of the housing is within Park boundry lines.

The land where their Resort and Gaming is located, was originally willed to them upon an individual's death. They have used the vast income from that facility to give dividend checks to every man, woman, and child registered with the Tribe. It has also allowed them to start a property holding company which buys up plots of land to expand their economic potential (Miccosukee Country Club in Kendale Lakes, large tracks southwest of Dade Corners, and land in historic Everglades City.) It has also allowed them to build quite a bit of political clout. Just 20 years ago, the Miccosukees were usually on the losing end of political battles surrounding the lands around them, but today they are one of the strongest groups when it comes to decisions on water throughout the Everglades region.

While this new found economic wealth has caused some to sit back and collect, it has motivated others to try new business ventures, especially the traditional trade of building chickees (thatched roof structures constructed of cypress logs and Sabel (Cabbage) palm fronds.) These business ventures may never have been possible for some, if it were not for the injection of income generated by the Tribe's business practices.

There is obviously lots more information involving the Miccosukees, but that is just a taste.

p.s. they are enormous sports fans (especially football.)

They have steak & lobster dinner for $6.95.

:D

Did you know that they are the only indians that have never signed a treaty with the US? Very proud people, the Miccosukees.

edit:

nm with the help...I'm just going to turn in something and then get the chance to re-write.

I'm almost positive the Seminoles resisted US expansion, and hid in the swamps of Florida without surrendering?

Did you know that they are the only indians that have never signed a treaty with the US? Very proud people, the Miccosukees.

edit:

nm with the help...I'm just going to turn in something and then get the chance to re-write.

I'm almost positive the Seminoles resisted US expansion, and hid in the swamps of Florida without surrendering? They did. The Miccosukees are a part of the Seminole tribe which really isn't a tribe as much as its outcasts and runaways.

edit:

I'm almost positive the Seminoles resisted US expansion, and hid in the swamps of Florida without surrendering? They did. The Miccosukees are a part of the Seminole tribe which really isn't a tribe as much as its outcasts and runaways.

True that, I remember now.