Marlins, Willis ready for Long Term Talks

Fish4Life

I like the sound of this!

MIAMI -- For the past three seasons, Dontrelle Willis has been one of the best bargains in Major League Baseball. Now, the D-Train could be in line for a large payday.

According to Willis' agent, Matt Sosnick, the Marlins have talked about working out a multiyear contract.

"We sort of talked about wanting to work stuff through before [arbitration figures are exchanged]," Sosnick said. "They are open to it."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I just hope him and Josh watch themselves in the World baseball classic with the arms and everthing else... THEY HAVE TO BE HEALTHY FOR US TO WIN NEXT SEASON PERIOD!

I suspect if Willis signs longterm he won't be pitching anywhere but for the Fish.

But your point is well-taken. I'm not in favor of the World Baseball thing for a number of reasons, and the chance for injuries is foremost among them.

I just hope him and Josh watch themselves in the World baseball classic with the arms and everthing else... THEY HAVE TO BE HEALTHY FOR US TO WIN NEXT SEASON PERIOD!

I suspect if Willis signs longterm he won't be pitching anywhere but for the Fish.

But your pint is well-taken. I'm not in favor of the World Baseball thing for a number of reasons, and the chance for injuries is foremost among them.

:blink: What do you think they do in spring training, play toss ball and relax on a team couch. Have you read the rules that they have for the WBC, 60 pitches is the max.

I'm all for locking Josh up, because he's only under team control for two more years...but why would the FO do this with Dontrelle? Locking him up now doesn't seem to make financial sense...or even seem to keep him around any longer than simply playing the arbitration game. Am I wrong?

Well the only reason why they want to lock him up before hand is because it would be saving them money. this season hes arbitraton elg. and hell be bumped up to about 4 MIL. There talking about a 4 yr 20 MIL deal. If they sign him to that... it doesnt matter HOW GOOD HE DOES he has to finish the deal. If were to win 15 games next season and 20 after that he may ask for a 4 yr 40 MIL. You get me? His stock will keep rising so you want to sign him for cheap now... The cardinals did it with pujos 10 yr 100 MIL, 10 a year is a STEAL FOR PUJOS!! Furcal is asking for that, just imagine if the cardinals didnt do that?? He would be making AROD type cash

I may be in the drastic minority on this one, but locking Dontrelle up now is foolish.

Beckett needs to be priority #1, we only have his rights for '06 and '07. Time is right for a 4 year deal.

Willis, on the other hand, has 4 more years in Florida, so unless we're going to go with a 5 or 6 year deal with Dontrelle (and considering he's a pitcher, any more than 4 years is really really asking for it), there's no point in going "long term" since he's here "long term" any way. Plus, his '06 salary won't be so ridiculously out of control that negotiating an affordable contract is the only solution. Give him his $3.5 million this off-season, and sit down and hammer it out next off-season.

I may be in the drastic minority on this one, but locking Dontrelle up now is foolish.

Beckett needs to be priority #1, we only have his rights for '06 and '07. Time is right for a 4 year deal.

Willis, on the other hand, has 4 more years in Florida, so unless we're going to go with a 5 or 6 year deal with Dontrelle (and considering he's a pitcher, any more than 4 years is really really asking for it), there's no point in going "long term" since he's here "long term" any way. Plus, his '06 salary won't be so ridiculously out of control that negotiating an affordable contract is the only solution. Give him his $3.5 million this off-season, and sit down and hammer it out next off-season.

You've got a good point but I think anothe reason why we want to lock up Dontrelle is to show this team's commitment to him. We want to show him that the Marlins want him around for years to come

You've got a good point but I think anothe reason why we want to lock up Dontrelle is to show this team's commitment to him. We want to show him that the Marlins want him around for years to come

The "no hard feelings" method of not taking him to arbitration doesn't ruffle any feathers and keeps everyone happy. The idea is in the right place, Quick, but buying out his free agent years (which is really the meat of this decision) requires a deal of 5 years or longer, which is foolish when you're dealing with a pitcher.

Now, the F.O. could make a super strong statement of having a "we're not trading Delgado news conference" while announcing that they've signed Beckett and Willis to long-term deals, but that's just wishful thinking.

The "no hard feelings" method of not taking him to arbitration doesn't ruffle any feathers and keeps everyone happy. The idea is in the right place, Quick, but buying out his free agent years (which is really the meat of this decision) requires a deal of 5 years or longer, which is foolish when you're dealing with a pitcher.

Now, the F.O. could make a super strong statement of having a "we're not trading Delgado news conference" while announcing that they've signed Beckett and Willis to long-term deals, but that's just wishful thinking.

Let me offer another possibility; signing Dontrelle for a 2 or 3 year deal that would eliminate the headache of arbitration and when that deal is up, we'd be able to know if he's worth locking up (again) and he'd know the Marlins are committed.

I agree completely...which is why I posed the question as to locking D-Train up.

Now, I'm all for locking Miggy up to a pujol-like 10-year deal...but not for a pitcher. Let's deal with Dontrelle in 3 years.

Let me offer another possibility; signing Dontrelle for a 2 or 3 year deal that would eliminate the headache of arbitration and when that deal is up, we'd be able to know if he's worth locking up (again) and he'd know the Marlins are committed.

I've thought of this too, but the problem with that is that there isn't a real incentive on the Marlins' part to do so. Sure it negotiates an affordable rate, but the incentive in going "long-term" with any player on this team is backloading costs until after the '08 season (when no one is under contract) so the core of the team can be kept together without realizing substantial payroll jumps.

If Dontrelle were to agree to a 3 year, $9 million deal (or thereabouts), then it makes sense, but that's doubtful.

If Dontrelle were to agree to a 3 year, $9 million deal (or thereabouts), then it makes sense, but that's doubtful.

Yea I agree, but that is very doubtful... I think we should lock him up but I mean not for 5 or 6 years. 2-3 is good for now.. I mean SP are on and off with injuries and all... Cabby it would more of a 5-6 yr deal

Willis is the most important player to this franchise. A long-term deal would be pretty big in terms of cancelling out the bad press they'll get when they deal some of these guys away. He's the biggest fan favorite by far, and the best player on the team.

Locking up Willis is the most important move in terms of the franchise's future, so I have absolutely no problem with them trying to sign him up before they get around to Beckett.

Guest markotsay7

Then Hermida.

Christ, let the kid play at least a full season first, and he should be at least two. If you were the GM of the Royals you might still have Bob Hamelin on your team.

Guest Moneyball

Kind of why I seperated the other 3 with commas, then period, THEN Hermida, I was trying to subtly imply that if her performs do it.

It would be in the best interest of the Marlins to wait atleast 3 seasons before they did that. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Ya know, talks are a 2 way street. If I was Beckett's agent I wouldn't be talking long-term with the team. Who knows what the finanicial situation in the future is (no one wants to be a Mike Sweeney or a Todd Helton) and Josh still hasn't pitched to his level yet. If he signs a multi-year right now and then wins 20 next season, his agent's a moron.

Dontrelle can sign away his arby years and make more money now. I don't see how signing long term at this point makes any ounce of sense for Beckett.