Pay J. Burnett

DcFishFan

What the hell do either of you mean???

Caveat emptor is a latin/legal phrase that essentially means buyer beware. In law, it means if something as "as is," that means you buy it as is. Here, I believe, DCfishfan is using a combination of pun and double entendre to suggest that the two teams currently offering AJ Burnett five year deals are both idiots. Apparently the Blue Jays are one of them.

A.J. Burnett - S - Marlins

A.J. Burnett has already received two five-year offers and expects to receive at least two more within the next week, his agent told ESPN.com.

A source told ESPN that the Blue Jays have offered about $50 million for five years. It's likely to take at least $60 million and perhaps $65 million to sign Burnett. FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cardinals, Cubs and Red Sox are making hard pushes for Burnett. The Rangers, Mariners, Nationals, Orioles and Mets are also known to be interested. Nov. 17 - 3:54 pm et

Source: ESPN.com

Question...who are the Mets not interested in? LOL

From the Hindsight is 20-20 dept.

Wasn't there a deal being suggested around the deadline last year where we'd send Burnett and Lowell to the White Sox for Contreras and two stud prospects (I think Anderson and McCarthy)? Oof. That's one deal I'd have liked to have done.

Rumored but never close to being done. And according to either a Gammons report or a Berardino report, there were no teams that were willing to take Lowell's full contract with Burnett.

Guest markotsay7

I wish I was in AJ position.

I certainly wouldn't mind being offered a 5-year $60-65 million deal.

Especially to have all the talent he has and not even have to use it or expend any energy to get the big pay day.

Guest markotsay7

whatever team signs him will need to put a disclaimer on the ticket stub for each game he pitches encouraging them to cheer loudly for him or else he won't perform at 100%

And to not boo if he does poorly.

Especially to have all the talent he has and not even have to use it or expend any energy to get the big pay day.

Or basically conning some team into signing you for five years when even you have no idea how your arm is going to hold out.

You gotta love the con artist of the world :thumbup

Or basically conning some team into signing you for five years when even you have no idea how your arm is going to hold out.

You gotta love the con artist of the world :thumbup

There is nothing wrong with wanting money, even if it is wanting more money than you are worth. If someone wants to pay you more money than your skills demand are you going to say "Oh, hey, I'm not really qualified for this, here is your bags of money back." Hell no!

I am studying foreign relations now, but if CNN or MSNBC wanted to pay me big bucks to be an analyst, I'd think "holy f***ing stupid" but I'd say "Sure, hook me up, n***a!"

AJ is still a nerd, though.