Texas No Longer In Beckett Plans

RangerRed

Per Texas Rangers Website:

Rangers say Marlins rule Texas out as trading partner for pitcher Josh Beckett. "In the end, a deal wasn?t there," Rangers GM Jon Daniels said. Details to come.

Guess it's only Boston and a mystery team.

Great news. So was it the Marlins that ruled Texas out? if so even better news

Makes sense....I actually think Beinfest woke up and realized what he was doing. I would trade Beckett to get rid of Lowell's disheartening contract, but the Red Sox seem to have the best deal on the table. However, some of the Red Sox guys seem to be happily sending away Hanley Ramirez, making me wonder if he really is worth the hype....

Makes sense....I actually think Beinfest woke up and realized what he was doing. I would trade Beckett to get rid of Lowell's disheartening contract, but the Red Sox seem to have the best deal on the table. However, some of the Red Sox guys seem to be happily sending away Hanley Ramirez, making me wonder if he really is worth the hype....

The point about Hanley being "worth the hype" is the subject of intense debate on sox message boards, but no one is doubting the type of player he is capable of becoming. He was disappointing in AA this year, but some of that can be attributed to a back injury and he has all the tools to become a future all star in this league. Whether or not those tools develop into skills is another thing.

Plus, as a sox fan, the thought of getting a potential ace entering the prime of his career with postseason success is enough to make me give up a player of Hanley's caliber. If the deal does go thru, Hanley and Lester/Anibal are both very good prospects, with very bright futures.

The point about Hanley being "worth the hype" is the subject of intense debate on sox message boards, but no one is doubting the type of player he is capable of becoming. He was disappointing in AA this year, but some of that can be attributed to a back injury and he has all the tools to become a future all star in this league. Whether or not those tools develop into skills is another thing.

Plus, as a sox fan, the thought of getting a potential ace entering the prime of his career with postseason success is enough to make me give up a player of Hanley's caliber. If the deal does go thru, Hanley and Lester/Anibal are both very good prospects, with very bright futures.

As I said on another thread is he worth the hype nationwide, or is he Boston good a la Freddy Sanchez? (Don't mean to get at you, but Boston/Big Market Prospects can be overrated)

Yea I don't buy all that Hanley Ramirez hype but hey he has lots of potential cause of his tools and is a way better than Andino. Jon Lester is the guy I really want in the deal. If its Lester and Ramirez for Lowell and Beckett I won't be to upset but if its Sanchez then I will be piss. I also would like to say im gonna be very upset at alot of posters in this site if all of a sudden welcome Sanchez with open hands when they didn't want to do the Sanchez, Arroyo deal for Burnett cause thought Sanchez was overrated.

Marlins/Rangers negotiation timeline:

Yesterday

10:00 am

Marlins: Oy, who wants to take Mike Lowell...Anyone?

Rangers: He sucks.

Marlins: Well what would it take to trade him?

Rangers: Beckett

Marlins: Ok

Rangers: Really?

Marlins: No.

2pm

Marlins: You know we were joking, right?

Rangers: No. So we can have Beckett?

Marlins: Maybe. We want Hank Blalock and someone else.

Rangers: Blalock and a pitching prospect?

Marlins: Deal!

Rangers: Really?

Marlins: Actually, we should probably find out if anyone else is interested in our young, highly touted, flamethrowing World Series MVP.

Rangers: Oh, ok well get back to us.

Overnight

Marlins FO: It seems like Boston is interested in Beckett now. They are offering a young, latino SS with pretty hair and great upside.

Beinfest: That sounds like Andino.

Samson: Who?

Today

11am

Marlins FO: We should probably start a firesale.

Samson: No, I have a better idea! Let's pretend that we're starting a firesale to see who is interested.

Marlins FO: We should ask Jeffrey first, don't you think?

Samson: Guys, I'm in charge!

1pm

Various news outlets: David Samson now in charge of Florida Marlins.

mb.com: WHAT?!

1:03pm

1:15pm

Various news outlets: Mystery team wants Beckett

Admin: I like mysteries!

3pm

Marlins: So, Blalock still on the table?

Rangers: Yes, why?

Marlins: I thought we were going to make a deal.

Rangers: You never called me back last night...

Marlins: Oh baby, I was with some friends.

Rangers: Sure.

5pm

Samson: Spanglish was an excellent movie that successfully incorporated ethnic issues as well as a darling romantic side story.

Marlins FO: Huh?

Samson: Oh, I was just saying how Boston's deal sounds good.

Beinfest: I'm actually the one who makes those decisions.

Samson: Perhaps you've forgotten--I'm in charge!

Beinfest: No you're not.

Samson: I'm not?

Marlins FO: Texas won't budge.

6:30pm

Marlins: We want Texeira and Soriano.

Rangers: WHAT?

Marlins: I'm just messing with you, silly.

Rangers: F*ck this, you can keep Beckett.

Looks like Beckett might be on his way to Boston:

Per the Star-Telegram:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13227318.htm

The Rangers won?t be getting Josh Beckett after all.

According to Major League sources, the Florida Marlins have decided to trade the 25-year-old Beckett to the Boston Red Sox, reportedly for minor league prospects.

The Rangers and Marlins had agreed on the principals in a trade that would have brought Beckett and third baseman Mike Lowell to Arlington for third baseman Hank Blalock and one of the Rangers top minor league pitchers ? presumably lefthander John Danks.

The Marlins, who are once again believed to be engaging in an austerity drive to significantly lower payroll, decided to accept the Red Sox offer, the source said.

Ft. Worth Star-Telegram says that Beckett is going to Boston (according to sources). ESPN says that it is down to either Lester or Sanchez.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13227318.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2232211

Would take that with a pinch of salt, ESPN may well as be NESN, well I'm sure Gammons would be happy.

Awwww crap guys, I've been drooling so much over Hanley Ramirez and Sanchez/Lester that I forgot how much I'm going to miss both of the guys being shipped elsewhere. Beckett and Lowell were huge for this team the past 3 or 4 years and they will truely be missed....I didn't say anything about missing Mike Lowell's bat