Do we offer Enc, Jones, and Gonzalez Arbitration?

DelGOT2Rings

After tiring of this week's depressing events, I decided to pretend we'll actually have a team next year and found myself browsing online a list of type A/type B free agents:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/columnists/askba.html

It got me thinking. Juan Enc. and Gonzalez are Type B FAs

Jones and AJ are Type A FAs.

We already knew that we were going to give AJ his walking papers. But after acquiring HanRam and the past week's events, obviously we're going to let Juan and Alex walk too. Nevertheless, do we even risk offering them abitration now (considering our desire to have a minimal payroll)?? Apparently, we might get a first round pick for both of them.

The Jones situation seems very tricky. He's likely going to be out of our price range, but do we risk offering him arbitration either (considering that he could get quite a bit after the season he just had)? If he indeed is a type A FA, we could get a 1st rounder PLUS a sandwich pick.

After all is said and done, we could end up with 5 first round picks (counting our own), and 2 sandwich selections after the departure of AJ, Juan, Alex, and Jones. Of course that would require all these FAs to go to teams in the bottom half of the draft (and to a team that does not sign a higher ranked Type A or Type B FA - which seems nearly impossible).

After both last year's draft and this ensuing firesale...we could have QUITE the farm system after next year's draft.

I don't see any reason not to offer arbitration to AJ and Jones. Jones accepting could be a good thing and we know AJ won't. I would be surprised to see us offering arby to Gonzalez or Encarnacion if we don't want to take a chance on them coming back. Having Gonzalez back for 1 year while HanRam matures could be a good thing....but yet I'm not controlling the purse strings.

ok, this is nonsense. OBVIOUSLY the team does NOT want to spend money on veteran talent. not to mention they just got a major league ready SS in Hanley. So WHY would you post something like this?

It doesn't matter what you would "like" to see (we'd all like to see beckett, delgado, lowell and the whole 05 roster plus some new bullpen help on the field next year). We should focus on what the Marlins WILL do. And I can garuntee you, signing new contracts for vets is NOT one of them. Kill the pipe dreams buddy.

We can hope that they're signed before the deadline for offering arbitration (really, Encarnacion and Jones are the only ones this applies to).

Otherwise, offer they type-A's arbitration, AJ isn't coming back, and given what's gone on, Jones would be nuts to come back...have to get those first round picks; I mean, we need to use those picks to get more young pitchers in our organization ;) .

ok, this is nonsense. OBVIOUSLY the team does NOT want to spend money on veteran talent. not to mention they just got a major league ready SS in Hanley. So WHY would you post something like this?

It doesn't matter what you would "like" to see (we'd all like to see beckett, delgado, lowell and the whole 05 roster plus some new bullpen help on the field next year). We should focus on what the Marlins WILL do. And I can garuntee you, signing new contracts for vets is NOT one of them. Kill the pipe dreams buddy.

Obviously you missed the whole point of the post. All of these players are CLEARLY not in our plans now. The question is: Do we RISK offering arbitration to them so we can get draft picks when they sign with other clubs?? Usually, you only offer arbitration to players you want on your team. But, AJ is 100% signing somewhere else, so it doesn't hurt to offer him arbitration - there's no way he takes it.

But, offering Alex, Enc, and Jones arbitration is risky - because there is a small chance they could take it - and we'd be saddled with their new arbitration contracts. Although, it seems like Alex will be offered a multi-year deal by somebody, so offering him arbitration is the least risky.

I guess we could always trade them away if they accept arbitration, but do we want to take that chance?