Why not play in Orlando?

MarlinYankee3542

If the Marlins had to leave Miami and another Florida city had to be picked, Orlando would be my choice with Jacksonville second... At least with Orlando, you always have people in town for Disney and all the theme parks...A family could hit the attractions by day and hit the stadium at night...I'd love to take a vacation like that...COme down to Orlando for a week see all the attractions go to a game every night they are in town for...And with a roof stadium, tourists would come to a game when rain makes it tough to hit the theme parks

Guest Moneyball

I live in Orlando. We can't even get more than 20K on average for college football, and the Magic has attendance problems as well. This place is too transient for a baseball team.

The same could be said about Miami and Las Vegas (especially). :mischief2

I live in Orlando. We can't even get more than 20K on average for college football, and the Magic has attendance problems as well. This place is too transient for a baseball team.

The same could be said about Miami and Las Vegas (especially). :mischief2 Too transient and Miami?

Nuh uh. Las Vegas, yes. Orlando, yes. Miami, no way in hell.

There are freaking 2 million people down here. Orlando can't even fathom having 2 million people actually living in the area. Las Vegas, while it is the fastest growing city in America, is still tiny compared to the population of South Florida.

Won't happen. The Magic are having as difficult time as the Marlins in getting their own stadium. I dont think Otown would build them one. I think they might struggle with attendance too although there is a solid population base around the area. The I-4 corridor is becoming the new hub of the state. Orlando as a central location might be better then Tampa.

Nobody in Central Florida gives a damn about the Marlins. The only teams that would attract fans would be the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, or Braves. I'd love for the Marlins to move up here, but it's too close to Tampa and nobody would give a crap after the original novelty wore off.

Then who would want them? Oklahoma City? Look at the Hornets who finally got fans when the moved to Oklahoma.

Or

They can play in Jacksonville in the Jaguars field.

Jacksonville won't work. The Jags can't draw and they're a damn good team in the most popular sport in America (and Florida). Also, Jacksonville is firmly entrenched Braves territory.

Guest Moneyball

The same could be said about Miami and Las Vegas (especially). :mischief2 Too transient and Miami?

Nuh uh. Las Vegas, yes. Orlando, yes. Miami, no way in hell.

There are freaking 2 million people down here. Orlando can't even fathom having 2 million people actually living in the area. Las Vegas, while it is the fastest growing city in America, is still tiny compared to the population of South Florida.

How much of that population came from New England and other parts?

And there are 5.2 million in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. Orlando has 1.8M so it's not like they are some small town.

Add this to the long list of reasons it's in MLB's best interest to keep the team in South Florida.

Rank Population (in 000s) Name

1 18,641 New York, Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY- NJ, PA

2 12,829 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA

3 9,334 Chicago, IL-IN-WI

4 5,773 Philadelphia, PA-NJ-DE

5 5,590 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX

6 5,289 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL

Jacksonville would work , to compare football and baseball is apples and oranges (especially price wise) , plus the jags excluding this year have been bad for awhile. Jax is a growing population ,has a younger demographic , doesnt have the weather issues so florida has , doesnt have the extreme poverty miami has , and as far as the braves they WERE the south's team but now TBS doesnt show as many games and their are more cable channels to chose from. It could work in JAX imo

Guest markotsay7

to close to Tampa dont you think?

Its about 1 1/2 hours, compare them to the Yankees-Mets which is like 20 minutes, then its nothing. Key West, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville also wouldn't be a bad choice. And good point by cyggymarlin.

Key West would never work. You're only drawing fans from north of you. Plus there's that ridiculous bridge you'd have to drive over.

to close to Tampa dont you think?

Its about 1 1/2 hours, compare them to the Yankees-Mets which is like 20 minutes, then its nothing. Key West, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville also wouldn't be a bad choice. And good point by cyggymarlin.

Key West would never work. You're only drawing fans from north of you. Plus there's that ridiculous bridge you'd have to drive over.

Plus the fact its an over two hour drive from just Florida City. No one would ever in their right mind go. Especially since for that amount of people moving in a short period of time, the traffic jams would be amazing.

Guest Moneyball

Besides the idiocy of putting an ML team in Key West. Where are you going to put the stadium? :blink:

You'd have to demolish half the island.

the team would draw the most fabulous crowd though

:lol

Felix Hernandez, Delmon Young, BJ Upton and Jeff Francoeur would become the rage of the island. :lol

Besides the idiocy of putting an ML team in Key West. Where are you going to put the stadium? :blink:

You'd have to demolish half the island.

the team would draw the most fabulous crowd though

:lol

Felix Hernandez, Delmon Young, BJ Upton and Jeff Francoeur would become the rage of the island. :lol

all the players would get their own section

Francoeur's Frank's lovers

Hot for Hermy

D-Will is D- licious

Orlando isn't too close to Tampa if you consider...

Mets/Yankees

Dodgers/Angels/Padres

Giants/A's

Cubs/White Sox

It would be a pretty good rivalry if MLB grew a pair and put us in the same division.

I would love for MLB to put Washington in the AL East and the Rays in the NL East.

would be fun to have a Tampa, Miami, Atlanta rivalry.

bring it to tallahassee... we need somethin up here.. we pack every FSU game no matter what sport... we got 3 colleges here... thats a lot of college kids so as long as they serve beer at the game it will be sold out no matter what... plus it will be a lot easier getting money for a stadium here since it is the capital...

You can't possibly be serious. All of you that have responded to these posts cannot be serious!

I've lived in Tallahassee IN THE SUMMER and it is a virtual ghost town, the legislators and lobbyists are not there, the students are mostly gone. Baseball in a 150,000 person market would be a failure. Plus there is a difference between a college crowd and a professional crowd. If they were the same then the NFL would have long ago placed franchises in Ann Arbor, MI; College Park, PA; Lincoln, NE; Columbus, OH; Tuscaloosa, AL; Athens, GA; Clemson, SC; and Knoxville, TN. Loyalty for college sports is different from loyalty to professional sports. I would venture a safe guess that at least 55% of those in attendance at an FSU game or a UF game aren't even from the greater Tallahassee or Gainesville area, as most alumni travel from all over the region to attend a game. The same holds true for other major colleges. An area like Tallahassee CANNOT support a professional franchise. There just isn't ANY corporate support for it.

As for some of the other ludicrous suggestions, Key West?!?!? I want some of what you're smoking. A Major League Franchise on an island with a population of 25,478 full-time residents (or roughly the average attendance for Marlins games)! A "market" with no local television and barely local radio. An area with NO corporate presence! Hey, if it can work in Key West, why don't we put a major league baseball team in Vermont, Wyoming, Montana, or South Dakota!

The Orlando Sentinel a while back wrote an expose on why the major leagues have passed up Orlando in favor of both metro Tampa and South Florida. Aside from a facilities issue, there just isn't as much corporate support in Orlando for major league sports. And don't for one second think that Disney will get involved in luring MLB to MausReich. Remember that Disney could not wait to unload both the Angels and Mighty Ducks in order to get out of the professional sports market.

Nobody in Central Florida gives a damn about the Marlins. The only teams that would attract fans would be the Red Sox, Yankees, Cubs, or Braves. I'd love for the Marlins to move up here, but it's too close to Tampa and nobody would give a crap after the original novelty wore off.

Everytime I go to a Foot Locker in Orlando I see a bunch of Marlins stuff. Does anyone wear it?