Marlins in talks with Rays for Gathright, for Olsen? (merged)

MarlinatPenn

12/13/2005 6:01 PM ET

Marlins in talks with Rays for Gathright

Left-handed prospect Olsen a possibility to be traded

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

MIAMI -- In the market to land a speedy center fielder to replace Juan Pierre, the Marlins have had discussions with the Devil Rays about acquiring burner Joey Gathright.

According to a Major League source, the Marlins are considering parting with left-handed pitcher Scott Olsen for Gathright.

Gathright appeared in 76 games and hit .276 with 20 stolen bases in 25 attempts last season. The Marlins are weighing a number of center field options to replace Pierre, who was dealt to the Cubs last week for three pitchers.

Having a speedy center fielder is critical for the Marlins, who play at spacious Dolphins Stadium.

Gathright would provide the Marlins with a leadoff hitter to replace Pierre. Brought up in 2004, Gathright has a .271 career batting average and a .316 on-base percentage. He has stolen 26 bases while being caught six times.

Many scouts consider Gathright to be one of the fastest players in the Major Leagues.

While Olsen is a highly-regarded pitching prospect, the Marlins have recently stockpiled a great deal of young pitching through numerous offseason trades.

Olsen appeared in five games with four starts for the Marlins in 2005, going 1-1 with a 3.98 ERA. The Devil Rays got a good look at Olsen on June 25, as the left-hander stymied them to the run of one earned run over 5 2/3 innings to collect the win in his Major League debut.

Olsen was bothered by elbow tendinitis much of the second half of the season, but he is healthy now. And if he is not moved in a trade, Olsen is expected to compete for a rotation spot for the Marlins in Spring Training.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Which pitching prospect would you rather give up??

Anyone acquired through the trades except for Sanchez.

Gathright isn't that good, he's just fast, and speed is seriously overrated when you're a shaky defender and a bad bunter.

Before you even look at who you are going to trade for to get him, should Gathright even be traded for??

I mean most things I have read tell me he's severely overrated...

what's the difference, what makes Olsen so untouchable among all the others? I don't get it.

K/9 numbers in the minors, true ace stuff (probably more-so than any pitcher on our staff, Willis included), and the fact that he's going to be 22 next season and truly major league ready. As far as a pitching prospect goes, he's top of the line, and at the very least, the top of our incredibly deep system.

I seriously don't understand this......

There is supposedly a "Premium" on young pitching, yet we can't get any decent young positional players unless we give up our best arms. Olsen is a top 25 prospect, where's Gaithright? If the premium thing was correct, shouldn't we be able to use decent young pitchers to get good young hitters? Seems like it's the other way around to me.

Vargas

Olsen

Sanchez

Volstad

Gaby

Petit

Johnson

..should not be traded for Gathright.

I completly agree.

Same here. This is what I was afraid off. http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...6entry1012636 Olsen was recently ranked as the 26 best prospect by RotoAmerica.com(look in the minor league section). I sure hope to God the Marlins come to there senses and don't make this deal. Unless the trade expands to we give up Olsen and someone like Logan Kensing for Joey Gomes and Joey Gathright we get fleeced. Unfortunately I have a feeling that this trade is gonna go down and the Devils Rays are gonna have another nasty lefty.

I'd do Petit and Harvey (OF) for Gathright.

No freakin' way.

Why?????

Harvey had great numbers in college last year, has huge upside, and the only gripe is poor strike-zone judgement. His tools are there, he's a two way player (pitch or play 3rd/outfield) and he's got great power.

Petit on his own is probably worth more than Gathright, throwing in Harvey isn't a good move.

The highest I'd be willing to go would be Nolasco one for one for Gathright. I know that probably wouldn't get it done, but such is life...