King Kong

EndLine

So would this be a bad idea for a first date?

IMO Movies are bad for first dates in general because that limits the actual talking/interaction that can go on

But as for the movie, I'll probably wait until it comes out of video just because three hours in a movie theatre is a little much. I've heard good and bad things from the friends that have seen it.

Just saw it.

Wayyyyy to long. Great visual effects and animations, however, several scenes dragged on for a long period and could have easily been reduced.

The fight scenes between the T-Rex and Kong were great. The story plot was pretty dumb and should have been altered somewhat, even though this is a remake.

BTW, for what its worrth, I have a very good friend who was a PA for Jack Black on a recent flim and went to the premier as a guest and said in talking with Jack several times, he gets the impression Jack does not love the Kong remake overall.

IMO Movies are bad for first dates in general because that limits the actual talking/interaction that can go on

But as for the movie, I'll probably wait until it comes out of video just because three hours in a movie theatre is a little much. I've heard good and bad things from the friends that have seen it.

We are already good friends so I'm not too worried about that. It sounds like it'd be too long. I'm thinking "brokeback mountain" instead. :mischief

We are already good friends so I'm not too worried about that. It sounds like it'd be too long. I'm thinking "brokeback mountain" instead. :mischief

That would be like a double whammy for you. :cool

Lefty's review:

Long movie, as everyone noted. I didn't think it would ever end, because I knew how it finished and it seemed like the movie was moving sooo slowly that it would never get there.

Anyway, the visual effects were just sick. The stuff on the island was bizzarely attractive (you'll understand when you see it).

I don't want to say too much because I don't like giving away stories, but I will say this:

The ape/woman love thing just didn't work for me. The carnage the ape committed was just too much for me to overlook and see the gentle thing that she did.

That's just me, though.

Jack Black did a very good job portraying his role, I thought! Honestly.

Adrian Brody was 'meh' for me.

The Jimmy/Mr. Hayes (don't remember his name actually) thing was pointless to me.

Overall: B+

:plain

Anyway...why not bring back a dinosaur instead? I mean Kong is a big ass monkey, but in the end you still have just a monkey.

And how did they get Kong into the boat to bring back?

hmmmmm

Not :plain

Worst scene in the movie. Back and forth between Jack Black and Jimmy as Adrian Brody is typing 'Skull Island'. I was laughing out loud.

It was a visually wonderful film. A bit long though.

Great, but one of those movies that are painful to watch on a small screen and w/out surround sound.

I'll give it a B+ (good considering most movies I give them an F or Z)

I agree, WAYYYY TO LONG! Movie had great graphics but dragged waaay to much!

Saw it tonight.

Fantastic.

I must preface this by saying that I don't particularly like Peter Jackson (LOTR just didn't do it for me), nor do I think that movies today are really all that good. That said, this movie was great by today's standards. Yes there were moments that made you chuckle because how ridiculous they were, but over the course of a 3+ hour movie only 2 WTF moments are actually pretty good.

Great movie. Not all time great, but certainly worth seeing.

• 2 weeks later...

yo i just seen it last night, i didnt think it was good but i dindt think it was bad ethier........

it sucks due the fact we all knew how it was gonna end...... but i guess you dont tamper with a remake......

every1 said it was long, my god it sho was.... parts the movie i was like come on lets get to island allready....

honesty im dissipointed....... i dunno why i feel this way,but im just not happy with the movie....

and 4 critics to come out and say it will make mo than the titanic, i dont think so...... titanic was a classic, this was an old movie made with some new special effects.........

my xpections on superman wont be so high, that sh*t might be dissipointing as well....

lets hurry up with underworld 2

I thought it was amazing. I agree that it was a little long, and some of the scenes could have been cut down a bit, or cut out altogether. I would've cut about 5-10 minutes out of the pre-island scenes. I understand that Peter Jackson was trying to get you to develop some empathy for the characters, but I still think it could've been done more efficiently. This movie was not made for impatient people.

I would've also chopped out at least one of the island "battle sequences", either the really long brontosaurus bit or the insect bit could've gone at no real cost to the film.

There were also some shots of Kong's face that seemed to linger forever.

Nonetheless, I saw the movie on Saturday, and it's stuck with me since then. Unlike some posters on this thread, I found it pretty easy to empathize with Kong. Yeah, he killed a lot of people. But, for one, he's an ape. A soulful ape, but an ape nonetheless. We don't blame apes for being ape-like. It's like with survivors of shark attacks--I've never heard a single one blame the shark. And, secondly, there was hardly a single moment in the film where human characters weren't either attacking him, exploiting him, or trying to take something from him. The only exception is the Naomi Watts character, which made their friendship kind of touching. Kong was treated, more or less, like a slave. Once again, I don't know too many people who would blame a slave for killing those that have enslaved him. And again, if he went apeshit, that's because he's an ape. Apes do that. Especially when their scared, confused, angry, etc. Kong deserved to be left alone, and so in that sense he was a victim.

Also, the look of the film was amazing. From the awesome battle sequences (that T-Rex/Kong scene was stunning) to the city of Manhattan, it's one of the most visually impressive films I've ever seen.

I also want to say that whoever thought of bringing Kong to Central Park and having him flop around on the ice was a genius. That scene was integral in demonstrating both the special bond between Kong and Watts, and also in showing that Kong was more than just an ape. And I'm almost positive that scene wasn't in the original (though I suppose it might've been in the first remake).