Best Athlete You've Ever Seen

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

I expect some similar answers for basketball and hockey, but I'm interested in the baseball and football answers among others. Best is completely subjective, so use whatever criteria you make like. Feel free to explain your answers.

Baseball-

Football-

Basketball-

Hockey-

Tennis-

Soccer-

My Answers:

Baseball- Pedro Martinez

I've never seen anyone, on any level, dominate games like Pedro can and does when he is on. His year in 1999 could be the most dominating year of all time. One just needs to watch on ESPN Classic the game in Yankee Stadium where he K'd 17 (I've never seen Major Leaguers so lost in my life). Or the game against Tampa Bay where he scuffled in the first and then proceeded to throw a no hitter after against the DRays. Or Game 5 against the Indians. The examples go on and on. Many baseball players are great, but Pedro in his prime completely transcended greatness into a whole new level.

Football- Barry Sanders

I can't say I was honored enough to have seen him on a regular basis. But when I did get to watch him, it was amazing. Players would routinely grab at air and turn around in a flash to wonder what the hell just happened. He danced around at the NFL level like I had never seen anyone do in college or high school (well, now Bush is doing his best impersonation). If he would have kept playing, there's no doubt in my mind that this question wouldn't even be up for debate.

Basketball- Michael Jordan

Never saw Bird or Magic play at length, and either way this is a no brainer.

Hockey- Wayne Gretzky

Likewise.

Tennis- Andre Agassi

I really don't like tennis much, rarely ever watch it even if it's on. This question was more for other people. But I did like that thing Andre did where he sent the ball back between his legs. That was cool.

Soccer- Ronaldo

Never saw Pele, Ronaldo IMO is the next best thing. I think this one and baseball will be the most controversial sports.

Fire away.

Baseball-Hate to say it but, Barry Bonds: Never seen a player demand so much respect from pitchers. Whenever the Marlins play the Giants i'd rather they walk him every at bat rather than actually pitching to him.

Football-Dan Marino: It may be biased but I don't care. I've never seen a better pocket passer to date, Manning is getting close but I don't even think he's reached the level of Marino. Marino did this all with no running game to speak of, you knew he was going to pass and you couldn't stop him.

Basketball- Michael Jordan: I used to hate watching him play against the Heat. He would always nail those turnaround jumpshots that were pretty much impossible to defend.

Hockey-Gretzky - No Contest

Tennis- Pete Sampras

Soccer-Don't watch enough to comment

Is this seen live? I've seen some good ones.

But overall:

Baseball: Vlad Guerrero, overall just the best athlete

Basketball: MJ, no doubt. Dominant.

Football: Barry Sanders, So quick, so deceptive, so flashy.

Hockey: The Great One, he just knew right where to be.

Tennis: Meh.

Soccer: Thierry Henry. He's disgustingly fast.

Is this seen live? I've seen some good ones.

No, I meant overall. But you can feel free to have a live list as well.

Cool, cool...we should all have live lists as well.

for me:

Football: Shawn Alexander

Baseball: Vlad Guerrero

Basketball: Shaq

Hockey: Pavel Datsyuk

Guest Juanky

Hmm, live I'd go with:

Football- Mike Vick (NFL) / Frank Gore, pre-injury (college) / Sean Taylor (high school)

Taylor in a game against my alma mater scored pretty much every way possible (he ran for a TD, caught one, took a kick return back, intercepted one and took it to the house, I believe he threw for one as well)

Basketball- Shaq (NBA)

Haven't seen anyone that intimidating in college or high school in person.

Baseball- Vlad (MLB - Pedro was pretty amazing when I saw him, but he wasn't the same old Pedro) / Gaby Hernandez (High School)

Gaby, among other things in his time at Belen, K'd 20 guys over an 8 inning no hitter. Only four hitters made contact in fair territory. Nobody stands out in college.

Haven't been to enough games in hockey or soccer (never been to anything tennis) to say.

Hmm, live I'd go with:

Football- Mike Vick (NFL) / Frank Gore, pre-injury (college) / Sean Taylor (high school)

Taylor in a game against my alma mater scored pretty much every way possible (he ran for a TD, caught one, took a kick return back, intercepted one and took it to the house, I believe he threw for one as well)

Basketball- Shaq (NBA)

Haven't seen anyone that intimidating in college or high school in person.

Baseball- Vlad (MLB - Pedro was pretty amazing when I saw him, but he wasn't the same old Pedro) / Gaby Hernandez (High School)

Gaby, among other things in his time at Belen, K'd 20 guys over an 8 inning no hitter. Only four hitters made contact in fair territory. Nobody stands out in college.

Haven't been to enough games in hockey or soccer (never been to anything tennis) to say.

Am I missing something here? I thought you already made a list...

Nevermind you said this is your 'live' list

Live list..

Baseball- Cal Ripken Jr. (was at his last game at fenway park and was able to meet him after the game)

Basketball- David Robinson/Tim Duncan duo.

Tennis- only been to one match, so sadly I will have to say Anna K. (haha, what a coincidence that she happened to be playing ;)

Soccer- saw the 99' women's world cup team

Baseball: Willy Mays

Basketball: Michael Jordan

Football: Peyton Manning (he will be the best quarterback ever when it's all said and done)

Hockey: Wayne Gretzky

Tennis: Pete Sampras

Golf: Jack Nicklaus (sp)

Live---

Baseball: Roger Clemens

Basketball: Dwyane Wade

Football: Dan Marino

Hockey: Pavel Bure

Tennis: Andre Agassi

Golf: Tiger Woods

Baseball: Ken Griffey Jr. pre-Cincy

Basketball: MJ

Football: Antwaan Randel El (Indiana days)/ Prime Time

Best I have seen live:

Baseball: Same

Basketball: same

football: Shawn Merriman

I didn't really go off of the best "players" but I went of the people with the most atheltic ability. Shaq would never make my list, neither would Pedro. Bo Jackson is hands down the best athlete of all time.

Guest ShaqandWade323

Basketball: MJ.

Football: Michael Vick (I hate him but you can't deny this, only close one to him is Moss)

Hockey: Lemieux

Tennis: Pete Sampras

Soccer: Ronaldo

i'll seperate between best from that sport, and most athletic

baseball: barry bonds...been the best player in the game since I was 4 years old...I am now 20

football: Jerry Rice...there is no player that is more undisputably the best ever at his position...the gaps in the record books in the receiving categories between 1st and 2nd place say it all

basketball: is there anybody else? MJ

hockey: Wayne Gretsky...definitely no discussion here

I've watched him since I started following baseball and the Red Sox in '94 and what he has done from the mid 80s into the mid 00s is insane. Pitched in big games and excelled. Pitched in Fenway. Pitched in Yankee Stadium. Pitched in a Dome. Pitched in both leagues. He has done just about it all and done it well. Arguably the best pitcher ever.

Basketball: Michael Jordan

Even though he is from my most hated team, Jordan is the obvious pick. In my days of bandwagonism and the best player in the best sport, Jordan was easily the best over. The double nickle game when he came back from retirement, the 72-10 year, all his amazing moments in the Finals. Jordan was the best ever.

Football: Brett Favre

Probably one of the few players in any sport that doesn't play for one of my 'teams' that I would seek out and want to see play live. This guy was easily the most exciting player in the '90s. I loved watching him squeeze the ball into dime wide openings to average recievers in blsitering cold. He was a nemesis of my Buccaneers for a while and him getting right back up after being knocked down by 300 lbs. Warren Sapp and jawing right back at him will always remain one of my favorite memories.

Hockey: Not Applicable

Tennis: Not Applicable

Soccer: Not Applicable