New York Mets

The_Punisher

How many of you think the Mets are finally the elite team in the NL East and will be tough to beat? Let's make a quick outlook here, what are their weakness? Where must we be careful here? They are looking at both Baez and Manny, which could add pop and an extra arm in a already potent bullpen, should we fear these Mets of 06?

Guest Juanky

No.

The Braves are the champs until someone knocks them off. The Marlins have a very large margin of error, they could be really good or really bad. The Phillies have gone down a bit but they also now have a competent FO so don't count them out just yet. And, well, everyone predicted the Nationals to be dead last in 05 and look how that turned out.

Nothing is ever for sure in the NL East except the Braves being there at the end.

I'd say the Mets are the team to beat this year. Of course, in reality, it's the Braves cause they've won it 14 straight years.. but in respect to talent, I'd have to say it's the Mets.

Their starting rotation isn't too bad (Pedro, Benson, Glavine, Heilman, Seo, and or Trachsel).. The one thing I'm unsure about is their middle relief. And I think they have made good moves. In the past, they signed high profile guys, but these are guys that can really produce (Delgado, LoDuca, Billy Wagner, etc..)

Strengths: A very strong batting order with lots of speed at the top, pop in the middle, and guys who can get on base through out the line-up. Also a good mix of youth and experience throughout the team with guys like Reyes, Wright, Heilman, Seo, Diaz, and possibly a few relievers coming up through the system. Defense is pretty solid with Floyd and Beltran in the OF; Wright, Reyes, and possibly Anderson Hernandez in the IF; and LoDuca is decent at catcher. Bench looks strong with Castro, Nady, Woodward, J.Franco, and Valentin.

Weaknesses: Pitching scares the crap out of me in terms of age. Our two best pitchers are on the wrong the side of 30. nBeyonf Pedro and Glavine the rotation is pretty ordinary. Benson is inconsistent, Zambrano just isn't very good, Seo is a crap shoot, and Trachsel is a good 5 starter but not much else. Pen is a tad weak, but if we can land Baez or Tavarez I'll feel a bit better.

Should you fear them? I think you'd be a little naive not to, but until the Braves are dead I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Guest Juanky

No, they have the talent of a 95 win team. Talent. But they also have the inexperience that could net 100 losses. Let's just say .500 for now and wait until ST.

IMO the Braves are the team to beat in the NL. East. They still have the pitching, I believe they have improved the bullpen some, and they have very young inexpensive talent on the field that wins on a daily basis. Even if they have a weakness, they have enough payroll room to trade for what they need. The mets are a force, I dont like there rotation, Pedro's still pedro, I dont think Glavine will have another year like last year, Benson is so-so, Zambrano, SEO and Trachsel wont get you anywhere, if they could get a # 2-3 starter type in a trade there chances wil improve. Even with there so-so pitching, there offense is good enough to carry alot of the load. The Mets will win the Wild Card and lose in the first round of the playoffs. IMO obcourse.

good points thus far, I also agree that they need the starting pitching, but am also determined to know if they are another version of the Phillies, or a real threat to the Atlanta Braves title....

my predictions

1st place

mets-braves

2nd place-

braves-mets

3rd place

phillies a lock

4th place

expos

5th place

Marlins