Joe Girardi Mastermind

MiamiMarlins1

Young closers: While the Marlins are loaded with young pitching, the team's philosophy is to go with more experienced relievers in the closer role.

That's kind of a league-wide theory. There are some exceptions, with Boston using youngster Jonathan Papelbon as its closer. And there are a few other teams with pitchers having previously little experience being thrust into the closer role.

The Marlins' thinking is to go with veterans like Joe Borowski and Matt Herges in the ninth inning. There are some young candidates who could be closers, but the team is keeping them in middle and setup relief roles. Josh Johnson is an interesting candidate because he could be groomed as a closer. Now being used in long relief and setup opportunities, Johnson still projects to become a starter.

Girardi says, in general, young pitchers aren't prepared to close early in their first few seasons.

"When they are young, they want to get innings," Girardi said. "So they are not really raised as closers, they are raised as pitchers. So to ask them to make the adjustment, it is not real easy. They are not used to the situations. Sometimes when you get a starter warming up in the bullpen, he might throw 40 or 50 pitches. As a reliever, that doesn't work."

Mod Edit: From MLB.com

Makes sense, JoBo and Herges have shown they could handle the lat inning pressure very well

:lol Marlins2003 you crack me up.

For what it's worth, he is correct about needing to cite sources, not just for what he said above but also because we don't want the site to be accused of plagarism.

Yeah we wouldn't want to have to go before the Honor Council

:lol Marlins2003 you crack me up.

seriously

but to the topic ... I think that young kid from the A's did a good job last year :plain

and I dont think the problem is closing games the problem is getting the lead there ... maybe the veterans need to be used there instead. Im all for giving Josh Johnson the closers job and throw Borowski into a set-up not because he has been doing a bad job but because there is a serious problem in the middle relief section.

actually they all suck

The younger pitchers in the pen might've had shots at higher leverage innings had they shown better control. Right now the top spot still belongs to JoBo and Herges is probably #2 or #3. I have no problem with it for now.

I think the only agruement for keeping JoBo or Herges as a closer is like you said in your other post to hope they do well and we could trade them at the deadline. As far as using them b/c their better than anything else, this goes back to my post yesterday about Helms, most everyone's reaction was that we should start Jacobs b/c we're playing for the future not the present. Well under that guise then we should be developing a closer for the future and not worry and the present

The younger pitchers in the pen might've had shots at higher leverage innings had they shown better control. Right now the top spot still belongs to JoBo and Herges is probably #2 or #3. I have no problem with it for now.

I think the only agruement for keeping JoBo or Herges as a closer is like you said in your other post to hope they do well and we could trade them at the deadline. As far as using them b/c their better than anything else, this goes back to my post yesterday about Helms, most everyone's reaction was that we should start Jacobs b/c we're playing for the future not the present. Well under that guise then we should be developing a closer for the future and not worry and the present

I think Jake would hit quite a bit better than Helms over the course of a season. It's early still for Jake, although his swing/approach definitely needs an adjustment. As for Helms he's never really hit righties well enough or played good enough defense to be a regular. Rebuilding or not I'd rather have Jake in there eve against most lefties. We need to sort out who our core guys are and we can't do that while platooning them after less than 70ABs. Against real tough lefties, sure give him a rest. Same for JoBo/Herges. They've exhibited the best control of our pen arms, and despite the heat they take and short sample size statistics they're probably the best options late in games AT THIS POINT. Plus we arn't competing for anything this year, so why not let the guys get their innings in lower leverage innings.

I think what the article forgot to hit on (or at least the snipet posted here) is that young relievers usually don't have the thick skin that is needed to be a closer. You see verteran closers like Jason Isringhausen (spelling) and Brad Lidge blowing saves almost nightly this season and its seems like its starting to effect their psyche. On the other hand Mariano Rivera blew a couple saves to the BoSox early last season and still finished the season just as strong as he always does. So if many vets can barely handle the closer roll it'd be tough for a youngster to go in there and start closing games. He might turn into another Rick Ankiel. =/

I think these guys have the mentality..I mean, they arn't whimps. The point is they havn't exactly proved themselves better options than the veterans quite yet. The idea is to give them something to accomplish. "hey kids, pitch well, keep the walks down, and well tap you for some higher leveraged innings, and eventually put you in the rotation." That's my interpretation of what's happening at least.

I think what the article forgot to hit on (or at least the snipet posted here)

Next person to question my posting is going to get a beatdown :D

:lol no one is questioning him now

That's right

How's the Boggie Down doing. I was born in DA BRONX. I just moved down from Brooklyn to sunny FL 2 years ago, just in time for all the hurricanes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.