Da Vinci Code

Lefty

anyone have any links to reviews?

I already got advanced tickets to go see it on friday ... I know im a nerd and yes I have heard it being bashed by critics so Id like to read a bit more about it

Bah you aren't a nerd.

I stood in line for 3 hours to see Harry Potter.

anyone have any links to reviews?

I already got advanced tickets to go see it on friday ... I know im a nerd and yes I have heard it being bashed by critics so Id like to read a bit more about it

Bah you aren't a nerd.

I stood in line for 3 hours to see Harry Potter.

I stayed up all night in line for that crap called the phantom menace

:tissue

but shhhhhhhhh you did not hear anything

The one thing I'm looking forward to is Paul Bettany/Alfred Molina Opus Dei stuff. They weren't 'huge' parts in the book, but each brought a certain element that gave the story life and mystery. Paul Bettany will need to be really creepy in this. The book-on-tape makes Silas sound like a stealth mercenary street rat.

Let's see...

Audrey Tatou as Noveau (sp) was pretty much the only choice they had at a star French actress in her late twenties-ish.

Tom Hanks would not have been my first choice (Bill Paxton!); but I think he'll be alright. Hate the hair though, and the fact that he's 10 years older than Langdon is supposed to be.

Ian McKlellan as Teebing (sp) is a great choice. Although I thought Teabing would be a 'little' younger, and a little more plump. However, it should work fine.

Jean Reno (or however you spell it) isn't who I pictured Vash (sp) to be. I thought he would be fatter, squatter, and more thuggish. But we'll see what happens.

I don't know who plays the other officer, but I'm looking forward to that.

I recommend RottenTomatoes.com if you want to see all of the reviews of any film in the country.

It is interesting that a Ron Howard movie is getting this much flak. I wonder if this is going to be one of those movies that makes a ton the opening weekend, but then suffers from bad word of mouth and drops 50-75% the following weekend.

I like Ebert, but I feel like he gives almost anything 3 or 4 stars these days, unless it's a horror film or a comedy.

Also, there are some hilarious videos on the net of Ebert and Siskel doing promos for their show, and Ebert is just brutal to Siskel. Totally changed the way I see Ebert...he's probably mellowed over the years, but he used to be pretty nasty.

People need to look at this movie as entertainment instead of someone trying to retcon the Bible. It's a serious movie portraying an authors viewpoints pertaining to what said author seems to be an alternate version of what transpired in biblical times. It's up to the viewer to believe wether they believe it or not, which if they are firm in their beliefs they should have no problem with. If others choose to do so, that's those individual viewer's problem. The Catholic church, the biggest opponent of the movie, has bigger problems to worry about than a summer blockbuster.

Well, Da Vinci put up the #32 biggest single day box office gross ($30 million) of all time on Friday. Saturday could possibly top that, though...I don't know. I figure no one sees matinees on Fridays, but that they do on Saturdays. Either way, it's gonna make a lot of money this weekend.

As for that Bodog bet...Da Vinci vs. POTC...POTC has some serious work to do, especially coming out right after Superman.

On Ebert:

I actually read the articles to get a better view, instead of just looking at the stars. He'd probably be able to give a better statement using a 10 point scale instead of the 4 stars. 4 stars doesn't tell enough when 1 means crap, 2 is fair, 3 is good, and 4 is excellent. Too many movies are just 'good' per that scale when you only have 4 choices.

They also use half stars. So technically it goes up to 8.

Yeah I know that, and 9 if you count the dreaded Zero Stars. :thumbup

Those still aren't used and I just think it's easier to give a movie with high production values and above average writing nowadays a 3 then say a 7.7 it could deserve on a 10 point scale with 100 choices.

Ebert is probably a tad more lenient now because he wants to still be 'the critic' and not come off as some know-it-all snob like alot of critics do.

Still, his writing style and his voice is still the one I respect the most and go with.

Guest Fritz

Mildly entertaining, illogical, too long and down right laughably overdramatic at times...

C-

Says the guy with the V for Vendetta link in his sig.

:lol :lol