Springer, Garner suspended for throwing at Bonds

MrAndMrsFish

NEW YORK ? (AP) ? Houston pitcher Russ Springer was suspended for four games Friday after throwing several times at Barry Bonds and eventually hitting the San Francisco star earlier this week.

Astros manager Phil Garner was suspended for one game and fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball.

The strange sequence Tuesday began when Bonds led off the fifth inning of the Giants' 14-3 win. Springer's first pitch went behind the seven-time NL MVP's back, drawing a warning from plate umpire Joe West.

The next three pitches all came inside, including one that hit Bonds' bat handle for strike one. On the fifth pitch of the at-bat, Springer hit Bonds in the right shoulder. Springer and Garner were then ejected, and Bonds took his base without incident.

Bonds has hit 713 home runs, one shy of matching Babe Ruth for second place on the career list. Hank Aaron holds the record of 755, and many people believe Bonds' accomplishments are tainted because of alleged steroids use.

Unless there is an appeal, Springer will begin serving his suspension Friday night when the Astros host the Texas Rangers. If he appeals, the suspension will be held up pending a hearing.

Garner is scheduled to serve his suspension on Monday when Houston plays at Washington.

I think if they wanted to hit Bonds intentionally they would have thrown at his head...i think it is wrong to suspend someone over hitting a player...it happens every night in baseball...MLB is just protecting bonds and i don't know why

Guest FishFanInPA

No way is it an overreaction....the man threw FIVE pitches inside...not one....Four is much maybe but he should have been suspended at least two.

It is overreacting. If it wasnt Bonds, who despite his history of spitting on the history of baseball and laughing at its rules, gets coddled.

Every pitcher should just walk him every single at bat instead of throwing at him...it avoids what the few Bonds supporters will label as racism because he's not being thrown at, yet at the same time keeps the cheater from even getting a chance to break records he doesnt deserve.

Guest FishFanInPA

It is overreacting. If it wasnt Bonds, who despite his history of spitting on the history of baseball and laughing at its rules, gets coddled.

Every pitcher should just walk him every single at bat instead of throwing at him...it avoids what the few Bonds supporters will label as racism because he's not being thrown at, yet at the same time keeps the cheater from even getting a chance to break records he doesnt deserve.

I hate to say it but it is racism...how come Bonds growing a lot is steroids and Clemens growing a lot is "hard work"

to

So it's racist that Bonds took steroids?

Was it racist when Jason Giambi (white) took steroids, was also probed, and then later admitted, and apologized?

Was it racist when Mark McGwire (white) went in front of congress?

Was it racist when Rafael Palmeiro and Sammy Sosa (latin) had to do the same thing?

The reason no one talks about Clemens is because I haven't read any credible sources in detail discuss his steroid use. I don't think Clemens body or head has changed anywhere close to the way that Bonds' has.

Like I've said before. The reason all this sh*t has piled on top of Bonds, and will continue to do so is because:

1. He is a jerk himself. He brings 90% of this on himself because of his douche personality. If anyone is racist, it is Bonds himself.

2. He is approaching and will pass a huge record. He earned a portion of that record using illegal substances.

Guest FishFanInPA

Last time I checked people consider Clemens one of the best pitchers of all time and our era AND he gets better the older he gets....two points that people use for Barry but yet Clemens "works hard" and Bonds is a juicer.

Yes, because he did and Bonds used roids the latter part of his career. I have seen zero evidence of Clemens' steroid use. For Bonds, it has come out and will continue to.

If things came out on Clemens using the beef roids, I'd be on his ass the same exact way I am about Bonds.

Race has zero to do with any of this.

Also Bonds went from looking like DJ Qualls to the Incredible Hulk in a timespan that doesnt equal out to hard work and nutrition.

Clemens, and granted I myself and am still young, but to my recollection, the general shape of his body has changed hardly at all. Also, Clemens hasnt gotten steadily greater as he's got older, his #'s have greatly fluctuated from season to season. Also take note of his #s after going to Houston wherein he moved from the AL to the NL.

Guest Festa

I hate to say it but it is racism...how come Bonds growing a lot is steroids and Clemens growing a lot is "hard work"

to

It's called filling in. Clemens grew has he got older like most players, including Cabrera, Thome and Ramirez.

Bonds was skinny is whole year up until he exploded in 2000-2001ish.

to

It's called filling in. Clemens grew has he got older like most players, including Cabrera, Thome and Ramirez.

Bonds was skinny is whole year up until he exploded in 2000-200ish.

Yeah look at Griffey now compared to in the mid 90's. Look at Jordan when he was with the Bulls compared when he was with the Wizards. When you get older you are going to get bigger.

Guest Festa

That's bulls*** how MLB went soft and only gave Springer 4 games

That's bulls*** how MLB went soft and didn't suspend Bonds for using steroids.

yeah, suspend him because he alledgedly may have done something off the field that wasn't against the rules and thousands of other players have done

Guest Festa

What with all those failed drug tests and what not, it's an open and shut case!

Yeah because MLB seriously tested for roids in 2000-2003. :rolleyes:

yeah, suspend him because he alledgedly may have done something off the field that wasn't against the rules and thousands of other players have done

Hello, roids help you on the field! There is a little thing called integrity. :thumbup

That is kind of my point. How can they suspend him when the only way they can suspend him is if he failed a drug test, and they didn't test for steroids when he did them.

Guest Festa

That is kind of my point. How can they suspend him when the only way they can suspend him is if he failed a drug test, and they didn't test for steroids when he did them.

Evidence uncovered by the media (one of the reasons MLB launched an investigation this year) is enough to suspend him.

Guest Fritz

HAHA. Suspend him for something that he's allegedly done? Hey, why don't we suspend Chris Shelton for looking goofy. It has just as much merit.

:rolleyes:

Evidence uncovered by the media (one of the reasons MLB launched an investigation this year) is enough to suspend him.

Then George Bush should have been impeached because of the "evidence" found by Fahrenheit 9/11.

Sorry, there is no way you are ever going to convince myself or most people who don't hate Bonds that he should be suspended based on hearsay and illegally leaked testimony.