June 11, 200620 yr Our Cf situation is a result of a series of events...I believe originally the FO considered Aguila as the frontrunner for the job with Reed being more than capable in staking his claim for the job. Thet also really liked Gathright's prospects and really wanted to trade for him. They realized Aguila wasn't more than a 4th OF. Kool Aid had an outstanding ST. Reed looked like he had some potential but paled in comparison to Kool Aid...The Devil Rays made absurd trade demands for Gathright...Our FO thought that the D-Rays would eventually comeback to reality and an equitable trade would be worked out. Baldelli was still hampered by injuries so the D-Rays were not really serious about trading Joey Gathright. We started the season with Kool Aid and Eric Reed platooning. Reed bombed!...was sent to the minors after hitting .080. Kool Aid has improved and has been playing fairly well. Gathright had a horrible performance and now that Baldelli is back he was sent to the minors immediately. Damn I am glad the Marlins never traded for him...Borchard has been the 4th outfielder that Aguila couldn't be. Ross has been brought in for additional depth in the OF and has played fairly well (as a reserve)
June 11, 200620 yr The team will trade arms for hitters once they figure out which pitchers they want to keep. Also, once the team looks ready to compete, there is the FA option.
June 11, 200620 yr The team will trade arms for hitters once they figure out which pitchers they want to keep. Also, once the team looks ready to compete, there is the FA option. Couldn't agree more. They wanted to evaluate their new pitching prospects before making any rash decisions. I think that now they have a pretty good understanding of who is tradable, and if I may be so bold: Petit should be right on the top of that list.
June 11, 200620 yr Author The team will trade arms for hitters once they figure out which pitchers they want to keep. Also, once the team looks ready to compete, there is the FA option. Couldn't agree more. They wanted to evaluate their new pitching prospects before making any rash decisions. I think that now they have a pretty good understanding of who is tradable, and if I may be so bold: Petit should be right on the top of that list. Any idea who might take Moe's place in the rotation next year?
June 11, 200620 yr The team will trade arms for hitters once they figure out which pitchers they want to keep. Also, once the team looks ready to compete, there is the FA option. Couldn't agree more. They wanted to evaluate their new pitching prospects before making any rash decisions. I think that now they have a pretty good understanding of who is tradable, and if I may be so bold: Petit should be right on the top of that list. Any idea who might take Moe's place in the rotation next year? Willis, Olsen, Johnson, Nolasco and Sanchez (although Sanchez might be a mid-season callup)
June 11, 200620 yr Author The team will trade arms for hitters once they figure out which pitchers they want to keep. Also, once the team looks ready to compete, there is the FA option. Couldn't agree more. They wanted to evaluate their new pitching prospects before making any rash decisions. I think that now they have a pretty good understanding of who is tradable, and if I may be so bold: Petit should be right on the top of that list. Any idea who might take Moe's place in the rotation next year? Willis, Olsen, Johnson, Nolasco and Sanchez (although Sanchez might be a mid-season callup) Thanks.
June 11, 200620 yr The team will trade arms for hitters once they figure out which pitchers they want to keep. Also, once the team looks ready to compete, there is the FA option. Couldn't agree more. They wanted to evaluate their new pitching prospects before making any rash decisions. I think that now they have a pretty good understanding of who is tradable, and if I may be so bold: Petit should be right on the top of that list. I don't think we should give up on Petit yet. I'd like to see Petit make 4 or 5 starts in the majors before I'm comfortable trading him away and essentially making the FO look like fools for not getting Milledge. I still think Petit could be a big part of our future rotation.
June 15, 200620 yr Ungs has an outside shot at next years rotation IMO. Not a chance in the world. They have returning pitchers (Nolasco, Willis, Olsen, Johnson); they have prospects fighting for a spot (Petit, Sanchez, Hernandez, Garcia, Pinto)
June 15, 200620 yr You really can't be this dense Holly, teams "build up the middle" (catcher, SS, 2B, CF, pitching), hence there's an incredible premium on blue-chip position prospects at said positions. It isn't coincidental that the only "blue chipper" at any of those positions was brought back in the trade of our most talented player in the offseason (Beckett/Hanley for those that have a hard time playing along at home). At some point, you can't have a super-star at every position. By my count, we're very set at short, second, third, right and arguably left and first, that leaves only catcher and centerfield, and the 7 and 8 hole in the lineup. Just give me two guys who can play good D at the position and have the potential to maybe do something if they get into it.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.