Reds Trade for Eddie Guardado

Junior

Travis Chick gets passed around more then a philly blunt at a Wu-Tang recording session.

BTW Everyday Eddie is NOT the answer to your bullpen problems.

He posted a sub 3 ERA last year with 36 saves.

He is worth a shot. Of course he is worth the shot. Just don't think he is the cure all. Anything is more formidable then David Weathers and Todd Coffey.

Confirmation for Felo

CINCINNATI ? (AP) ? Trying to bolster their struggling bullpen, the Cincinnati Reds acquired Eddie Guardado and cash from the Seattle Mariners on Thursday for minor league pitcher Travis Chick.

The Reds made the trade a day after blowing two leads in extra innings before losing 6-5 in the 13th at Milwaukee. After the game, Cincinnati reliever Brian Shackelford was arrested on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault.

Guardado is expected to join the Reds in Atlanta on Friday. Cincinnati began the day two games behind St. Louis in the NL Central.

The 35-year-old Guardado had 36 saves with a 2.72 ERA in 58 games for the Mariners last season.

But this year, the normally reliable reliever known as "Everyday Eddie'' struggled and was demoted from the closer's role in May after blowing three save chances. Guardado was 1-3 with five saves and a 5.48 ERA, and was serving as a setup man for J.J. Putz.

"Eddie had some struggles early on this season that allowed some of our young guys to run the back of the game and they got that job and haven't let go,'' general manager Bill Bavasi said in a release.

The 21-year-old Chick was 4-5 with a 4.61 ERA for Double-A Chattanooga. The Reds acquired the righty from the San Diego organization last July in a deal for third baseman Joe Randa.

Travis Chick gets passed around more then a philly blunt at a Wu-Tang recording session.

He is worth a shot. Of course he is worth the shot. Just don't think he is the cure all. Anything is more formidable then David Weathers and Todd Coffey.

Coffey isn't that bad. I don't have a problem with him as much as I do Weathers/Mercker/Yan.

At least guys like Coffey, Belisle, Standridge, and even Shackelford could improve. Weathers, Merck, and Yan are all on the wrong side of their career.

Eddie may be our closer, as sad as that may sound.

Coffey isn't that bad. I don't have a problem with him as much as I do Weathers/Mercker/Yan.

At least guys like Coffey, Belisle, Standridge, and even Shackelford could improve. Weathers, Merck, and Yan are all on the wrong side of their career.

I think Coffey will still be the closer and Eddie will be his set up man.

Coffey can't get his mother out since moving into the closer's role. He blew 2 of the 3 games in Milwaukee. He had a sub 1 ERA as the setup man. I would let Coffey go back to the 'bullpen ace' and let Eddie be the closer.

I think Coffey will still be the closer and Eddie will be his set up man.

Eddie may be our closer, as sad as that may sound. I am bitter at Coffey. Hoping he was a fantasy waver wire wonder :lol

But your right. The couple times I have seen him he seems to have teh closer stuff more then rubber arm Eddie. Regardless its nice to see your owner making moves this early in the season to help out someway with your bullpen.

For some reason, this seems like a Ron Villone move all over again.

Still, could be a decent move, but I don't think this shifts the balance of power in the division like it would have a year or two ago.

For some reason alot of people thought he was the cureall for the Marlins when we picked him up last year. Then Jack decided to wear his ass out right away :lol

If my calculations are right, here are EG's #'s since May 1st (he had a horrendous April)

19 Appearances

1 Win, 1 Loss, 1 Save

14.3 IP

16 H

4 BB

12 K

3.767 ERA

1.395 WHIP

Eh still not THAT horrible.. same could be said with Jeff Weaver since Mid May..

I think it's a good move.. dont know how your pen could even try to get any worse with him.. same situation the Cards just did (Weaver cant really be as bad as Ponson, Marquis, or Suppan.. Eddie cant be as bad as what you have in the pen.. can they be?).. you take a gamble and if it pays off it does.. if it doesnt.. well no big deal really!

If my calculations are right, here are EG's #'s since May 1st (he had a horrendous April)

19 Appearances

1 Win, 1 Loss, 1 Save

14.3 IP

16 H

4 BB

12 K

3.767 ERA

1.395 WHIP

Eh still not THAT horrible.. same could be said with Jeff Weaver since Mid May..

I think it's a good move.. dont know how your pen could even try to get any worse with him.. same situation the Cards just did (Weaver cant really be as bad as Ponson, Marquis, or Suppan.. Eddie cant be as bad as what you have in the pen.. can they be?).. you take a gamble and if it pays off it does.. if it doesnt.. well no big deal really!

Yep I agree. Getting Weaver was a good move for you, getting Eddie was good for us.

Guardado sux.

I got talked into trading for him earlier in the year for JEFF KENT because I needed a closer. I got FLEECED.

There is a picture of him in the encyclopedia next to the word "Useless"

Wait..I thought that was my divorce lawyer from 20 years ago ;)

Actually, we could've given ya Keith Foulke... just give us back BRONSON :crying