Eric Gagne To Have Season Ending Back Surgery

Passion

Eric Gagne will have season-ending surgery Saturday to repair a herniated disc in his lower back, the latest injury to sideline the Los Angeles Dodgers' All-Star closer.

The announcement was made about 3 1/2 hours before Friday night's game against the San Francisco Giants. The 2003 NL Cy Young Award winner woke up with back pain Tuesday and received an epidural injection along with a nerve block and an MRI, neither of which produced the desired results.

The operation will be performed by Dr. Robert Watkins at St. Vincent Medical Center.

The injury had nothing to do with baseball-related activity, because Gagne has been on the disabled list with elbow problems that have limited him to 16 appearances since the beginning of last season. The 30-year-old right-hander agreed to a $19 million, two-year contract before the 2004 campaign.

He underwent surgery on April 7 to remove a nerve from his pitching elbow - the same elbow that required Tommy John surgery in 1997. The three-time All-Star missed the first 51 games and made only two appearances after that. The most recent was on June 6 against the New York Mets, when he struck out Carlos Delgado and David Wright en route to a perfect ninth inning and his 161st career save.

Gagne's 2005 season also ended prematurely when he underwent elbow surgery, but that time he didn't need a second ligament replacement procedure. Doctors just cleaned up a slight amount of residual fraying around a nerve from the original Tommy John surgery, and he was able to begin spring training on time.

Gagne holds the major league record of 84 consecutive saves. He had a club-record 55 saves and 1.20 ERA in 2003.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5766786

Dodgers will in all likelihood decline his option for next year, making him a free agent.

Guest Fritz

That's interesting how non baseball related injuries are now linked to steroids.

:rolleyes:

Because baseball players have oh so much credibility?

Guest Fritz

That's interesting how non baseball related injuries are now linked to steroids.

:rolleyes:

Because baseball players have oh so much credibility?

I just don't like to play McCarthyism 2K6.

The thing is, McCarthy was more often right than he was wrong. Until baseball gets real about drug testing, I'll take the guilty until proven innocent approach with guys that do any of the following:

1. Marked body changes

2. One year wonders not during contract years

3. All relievers

Thank God America doesn't work that way.

Anyways my original point was, this injury has absolutely nothing to do with baseball related activities so to say it has to do with steroids is mindless.

So, how do you still defend/praise Bonds? Someone who has admitted to taking the 'roids.

Anyways my original point was, this injury has absolutely nothing to do with baseball related activities so to say it has to do with steroids is mindless.

So, how do you still defend/praise Bonds? Someone who has admitted to taking the 'roids.

Once again, he has never admitted.

If you are going to accuse him of admitting, show proof where he says he "took" 'roids.

If you are going to accuse him of admitting, show proof where he says he "took" 'roids.

How many times does it have to be stated?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...NGGFA0UDU65.DTL

How many times does it have to be stated?

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file...NGGFA0UDU65.DTL

I guess enough times until the American reading comprehension improves.

First paragraph alone sums up what he admitted:

Barry Bonds told a federal grand jury that he used a clear substance and a cream supplied by the Burlingame laboratory now enmeshed in a sports doping scandal, but he said he never thought they were steroids, The Chronicle has learned.

NOWHERE, in the article does it say Bonds admitted to taking steroids. Maybe you should read it more carefully and not read into more then is there, before you talk down to others.

I've discussed this plenty of times and I'll just re-post what I said 2+ months ago...

He took a clear substance that he 'didn't know' what it was. He admitted to that in a testimony. Sure Barry, Durrrrrrrrrrr. I'm around body builders and atheletes every day and everyone of those guys knows exactly what is going into their bodies regardless if it is coming straight from them, or through a trainer. Anyone that values their body (and an athelete definitely fits into that category) doesn't just put a foreign substance in their body for the hell of it or because someone recommended it to them. Anyone that can believe that he just started taking this stuff, never asking a question and not caring has the intelligence to be duped by a Slylock Fox Sunday comic strip.

Of course he didn't admit to taking a steroid, but he did admit to taking what his trainer at the time, Greg Anderson, supplied to him.

Anderson plead guilty to sterioid distribution and during his time using the San Francisco Giants facilities, he was known as a steroid supplier.

But yeah, he was Bonds' right hand man in training because he had the 'arthritic cream and flax seed oil' hook-up.

I will add one more point, if 'the clear' was flaxseed oil, only a color blind person would say that the flaxseed oil was 'clear' when in fact it is yellowish in color.

I'm sick of arguing the same points, against the same people who have no answer for it especially someone like you who lurks on the board and then only posts on about 4-5 different controversial/argumentative subjects.

Yeah, and not even he 'knew' what he was putting in his body....stuff he got from a convicted steroid distributor and what he called cream and clear. Like I said, and I guess I have to emphasize it, no athelete let alone one of Bonds' stature puts creams and the like on his body without knowing exactly what it was.

I hardly ever agree with you but I think you're a smart guy, you're a college graduate, how you could still believe this guy never put anything illegal in his body and just had his head grow in his latter years randomly is kindof sad to me.

I get you like the guy but with all the evidence there, how anyone can support/defend the guy and then turn around and throw darts at a dartboard of players with not even a one one hundredth of a percentage of evidence that Bonds has against him is just straight puzzling to me.