Josh Johnson

Marlins97+03WC

He just took over the NL lead in terms of ERA :notworthy

Johnson took over the NL ERA lead with the performance. The Marlins have played 84 games, so Johnson barely qualifies for the title at the moment.

Source: rotoworld.com

Yes, but because of the 5th inning and getting taken out afterward, he won't take the lead into the ASB. He needed to go 5 1/3 innings to do that, so he just misses the cut. Still great though that he has is always bouncing back into the lead after a start. Hopefully his next start will be a long one with three out innings instead of four out innings.

it will be interesting to see how johnson does the second half of the season i dont necessarily see him developing into an ace but see him as a good 2/3 type pitcher . D-Train , Olsen , Johnson good foundation now hopefully some of the rest of our prospects will pan out and fill out the other slots

Curious: Why don't you think Johnson will develop into an ace pitcher ?

it will be interesting to see how johnson does the second half of the season i dont necessarily see him developing into an ace but see him as a good 2/3 type pitcher . D-Train , Olsen , Johnson good foundation now hopefully some of the rest of our prospects will pan out and fill out the other slots

more of a gut feeling more than anything i view him as a brad penny type pitcher nothing wrong with that imo good stuff , not electric , pretty durable innings eater , very good pitcher but i think willis( an ace) is a notch better . johnson guts out a 5 inning win when not at his best whereas willis will give you 7 2/3 inning without his best . very subtle stuff but i am not going to run Johnson down because he has been very good for us this year so far , and even though i dont think he will be a 20 game winner type pitcher i certainly see him as a very good 14-16 win a year pitcher

JJ is pitching WAY over his head as far as Earned Run Average is concerned....but I'll certainly take it. Control is his main issue for sure and will catch up with him and his ERA eventually unless adjustments/improvements are made. But I think we've found a mid-rotation starter out of the gaggle of SP depth we've amassed which is easier said than done...prospect to producer.

JJ is pitching WAY over his head as far as Earned Run Average is concerned....but I'll certainly take it. Control is his main issue for sure and will catch up with him and his ERA eventually unless adjustments/improvements are made. But I think we've found a mid-rotation starter out of the gaggle of SP depth we've amassed which is easier said than done...prospect to producer.

Way to be! NL era leader will not have a 1.27 whip at the end of the year.

Now if we can just get Anibal, Petit, and Vargas to contribute in any sort of capacity....

I have no idea what the deal is with Vargas. His stuff is at LEAST average for a lefty and his control I thought was above average. He's still a major leaguer for this club in some capacity if not decent trade bait based on the his 2005 MLB stats and lefty handedness. Even in watching him I can't make a guess.

I find it remarkable that some fans still think we might have, at best, a mid-rotation starter in Josh Johnson after what he has done so far this season. I am guessing that it is because he is far exceeding the predictions they and other experts outside the Marlins system made during the offseason and they want to stick to their guns despite all evidence to the contrary. That and he didn't come with as much hype as other pitching prospects in our system. Thankfully Marlins scouts had a different idea about JJ's abilities.

We are talking about a 22-year-old pitcher who spent most of last season in Carolina and then got a late season callup to the bigs in which he made one start and spent some time in the bullpen. He then goes on to this season and has managed to lead the league periodically (due to starting off the year in the bullpen) in ERA, including at this point in time.

I'd like to know when was the last time a rookie has led all starting pitchers in ERA at this point in the season. Maybe Dwight Gooden? Ron Guidry? Mark Fidrych? I'm not sure. It is a shame that his performance is getting ignored by the mainstream press for the most part. Chalk that up to playing for the Marlins... though one would think that would make his story a great one considering this team was predicted by most to lose more than 100 games this season. Hopefully by the time he racks up his 10th win some baseball writers will take notice of what he has done down here in South Florida.

Not only has JJ kept his ERA down, he has managed to limit opposing batters to a .215 batting average. That is no mean feat. While his control problems have been problematic at times, I think that makes his ERA and BAA that much more impressive. Imagine what it will be like when he is able to spot his fastball with more consistency and improves his slider and changeup? Number 3 or 4 starter you say? I say that is the worst case scenario, not the best.

more of a gut feeling more than anything i view him as a brad penny type pitcher nothing wrong with that imo good stuff , not electric , pretty durable innings eater , very good pitcher but i think willis( an ace) is a notch better . johnson guts out a 5 inning win when not at his best whereas willis will give you 7 2/3 inning without his best . very subtle stuff but i am not going to run Johnson down because he has been very good for us this year so far , and even though i dont think he will be a 20 game winner type pitcher i certainly see him as a very good 14-16 win a year pitcher

BTW Penny is a Team Ace!...and an All Star!

I find it remarkable that some fans still think we might have, at best, a mid-rotation starter in Josh Johnson after what he has done so far this season. I am guessing that it is because he is far exceeding the predictions they and other experts outside the Marlins system made during the offseason and they want to stick to their guns despite all evidence to the contrary. That and he didn't come with as much hype as other pitching prospects in our system. Thankfully Marlins scouts had a different idea about JJ's abilities.

We are talking about a 22-year-old pitcher who spent most of last season in Carolina and then got a late season callup to the bigs in which he made one start and spent some time in the bullpen. He then goes on to this season and has managed to lead the league periodically (due to starting off the year in the bullpen) in ERA, including at this point in time.

I'd like to know when was the last time a rookie has led all starting pitchers in ERA at this point in the season. Maybe Dwight Gooden? Ron Guidry? Mark Fidrych? I'm not sure. It is a shame that his performance is getting ignored by the mainstream press for the most part. Chalk that up to playing for the Marlins... though one would think that would make his story a great one considering this team was predicted by most to lose more than 100 games this season. Hopefully by the time he racks up his 10th win some baseball writers will take notice of what he has done down here in South Florida.

Not only has JJ kept his ERA down, he has managed to limit opposing batters to a .215 batting average. That is no mean feat. While his control problems have been problematic at times, I think that makes his ERA and BAA that much more impressive. Imagine what it will be like when he is able to spot his fastball with more consistency and improves his slider and changeup? Number 3 or 4 starter you say? I say that is the worst case scenario, not the best.

Amen brother...you have said it all!