Yates verdict...

Rune

Just got this in my e-mail...

***USATODAY.com Breaking News***

HOUSTON -- A jury found Andrea Yates not guilty in the drowning deaths of her young children in the bathtub of their suburban home. Yates will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released. If convicted, she would have faced life in prison.

For more on this story, go to http://www.usatoday.com.

Disgusting.

HOUSTON -- A jury found Andrea Yates not guilty in the drowning deaths of her young children in the bathtub of their suburban home. Yates will be committed to a state mental hospital, with periodic hearings before a judge to determine whether she should be released. If convicted, she would have faced life in prison.

Disgusting.

W/e its obvious that women is nuts. She needs treatment.

Disgusting.

W/e its obvious that women is nuts. She needs treatment.

People that are nuts need treatment, but there's this little line that anyone can step over called murdering your children that warrants proper punishment.

agreed - i want the least cost involved and could give a rip about treatment, because if someone is so whacked out they murder their kids i'm not that concerned about getting them right enough to return to society - because they should never, ever return to society

Well her reason for murdering her children were because she believed they were dammned because of her evil ways and them being alive would only lead them closer and closer to hell.

She needs to be put in a Ward. I still get squeamish when I hear about these murders and how she carried them out.

Guest Fritz

No way in Hell should she be rehabilitated or something like that in the loony bin. Run some CT scans to see what her brain looks like compared to a normal woman, then shoot drown her ass just like she did to her kids. Make sure to do it five times too. Drown her, make sure she passes out, then revive her. Rinse and repeat.

What about a war veteran who suffers flashbacks and ends up killing someone as a result? Murder? Or someone who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia?

I hope you guys realize that there is pretty much little to no chance she is actually going to get rehabilitated, meaning she probably wont leave the nuthouse. But if she didnt have the cognition that the rest of us have, how do we put her in the same category as regular killers?

What about a war veteran who suffers flashbacks and ends up killing someone as a result? Murder? Or someone who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia?

I hope you guys realize that there is pretty much little to no chance she is actually going to get rehabilitated, meaning she probably wont leave the nuthouse. But if she didnt have the cognition that the rest of us have, how do we put her in the same category as regular killers?

I always find myself struggling with these questions b/c I feel that a lot of murderers suffer from some mental illness. Like bundy and dahmer. Even had she been convicted of mruder, she still would have gone to the loony bin, and once she was 'healthy' she would have had to serve her sentence. The problem here would be if they just let her out to wander freely

Always difficult to work through this stuff. She drowned her 5 kids. One by one, held them under water until they stopped kicking. Her own children. All presumably to rescue them from Satan's grasp. There is no word that can describe the level of insanity it must take to do something like that.

Then there was just a case the other day in which they gave the death penalty to a man who murdered a woman friend of his & her 3-year old daughter. He went into her room at night, stabbed her something like 30 times in the neck, then the daughter was screaming for help & he stabbed her to death too. Now I'm not sure the specifics of that case, but don't you think this guy is freaking insane too?

Unless you kill someone in the "fit of rage/passion" where your actions are just a wild overreaction to something, then most cold-blooded murderers are serously sick demented individuals.

So how you judge which one dies & which ones deserves treatment...

I dunno, as long as they never get out into society again. Lethal injection or whatever is nothing compared to what their victims go through anyway. Having to sleep with the nightmares and come to terms with what you've done is probably worse than a quick bullet to the head even if that were an option.

If you think about it, if they actually ARE able to treat her and she is able to function as a normal human being... once she realizes what she's done, how could you go on living knowing what happened? Waking up every morning would be like a living Hell. I mean there's no rehabbing from that, you'd be suicidal every moment of your life. "Oh well I was in therapy for about 20 years, yeah.... I was pretty messed up for a while. Killed all five of my kids, yep. But I'm fine now, really."

But clearly, the experience of a psychotic person is something that, for the mentally healthy person, is almost impossible to grasp. I mean either you believe that she was absolutely looney & thought she was saving her kids from eternal damnation, or you think she actually wanted to kill all her own children. Or maybe you admit she was insane & feel she should be killed anyway.

But do we just take our crazy people & dispose of them? "Put them out to pasture" as it were? I'm not suggesting letting them loose into society obviously, but just cleanly ridding ourselves of them with a quick bullet (or injection in our case)? I'm not sure that's something I want to be a part of. I'm not saying I'm against the death penalty by the way, because I think there are cases where it's justified.

Death penalty.

Taxpayers are already suffering with the burden of keeping nut jobs alive..........and for what?

An eye for an eye (in this case several eyes.....imagine what those poor kids went through).

It can be said that all murderers have some type of mental illness.

Does that mean that they shouldnt pay for their crimes?

Nope.

There are millions of veterans who suffer from PTSD, flashbacks, and other things of that nature and do not go around killing people. It doesn't matter who you are, if you murder someone in cold blood then you need to be eliminated from the gene pool.

But do we just take our crazy people & dispose of them?

If they murdered someone, yes.

I think most murderers could argue that they're not "all there". Do I give a damn? No.

There is a huge difference between psychopath and the criminally insane. We have never come close to allowing a psychopath go free or get treatment. And it is a difference that shouldn't be dismissed because of the zones of gray. The definition of being criminally insane has nothing to do with whether somebody is a wacko. It has to do with whether they have the ability to make a choice that their acts could be wrong or not.

This is an issue where the devil is in the details. But those details will get drowned by misconception.

There are millions of veterans who suffer from PTSD, flashbacks, and other things of that nature and do not go around killing people. It doesn't matter who you are, if you murder someone in cold blood then you need to be eliminated from the gene pool.

Unbelievable. Once again you manage to absolutely miss the basic point in favor of simple minded rhetoric. I dont care if most vets dont suffer from PTSD. Some do. And when they do, they 100% believe they are in Vietnam.

If she absolutely and honestly and without question believed that she needed to save her children from Satan, how could she have killed them in cold blood? None of us would say that the act of saving your children from Satan is a definite wrong act. But we are saying it isnt ok or reasonable for her to believe such a thing. But what if she did by no decision of her own?

Youre making the choice from your perspective but thats because you have your essential facilties together. So you ask yourself what you would do if you started to believe that Satan was trying to kill your children. But the key is you have the basic ability to doubt and think and consider that it could either be an insane or not insane idea. So you think that nobody else could possibly have such an honest belief because their basic facilties should stop them from believing it. And if they do, they made that choice and are killers.

But the key difference is that she doesnt have her basic volition and essential facilties together. She couldnt make the choice. She couldnt have doubt. The choice was made for her and it was made by the mental illness. The mental illness created the absolute honest belief. The same mental illness that creates the honest belief in some Vietnam vets that they are in Vietnam and have to shoot at the enemy.

Do you see how this works? I want to try and define this for you but it might be too complicated. We arent talking about wackos vs. normal people. We are talking about clinical insanity.

I think most murderers could argue that they're not "all there". Do I give a damn? No.

There is a huge difference between psychopath and the criminally insane. We have never come close to allowing a psychopath go free or get treatment. And it is a difference that shouldn't be dismissed because of the zones of gray. The definition of being criminally insane has nothing to do with whether somebody is a wacko. It has to do with whether they have the ability to make a choice that their acts could be wrong or not.

This is an issue where the devil is in the details. But those details will get drowned by misconception.

Unbelievable. Once again you manage to absolutely miss the basic point in favor of simple minded rhetoric. I dont care if most vets dont suffer from PTSD. Some do. And when they do, they 100% believe they are in Vietnam.

If she absolutely and honestly and without question believed that she needed to save her children from Satan, how could she have killed them in cold blood? None of us would say that the act of saving your children from Satan is a definite wrong act. But we are saying it isnt ok or reasonable for her to believe such a thing. But what if she did by no decision of her own?

Youre making the choice from your perspective but thats because you have your essential facilties together. So you ask yourself what you would do if you started to believe that Satan was trying to kill your children. But the key is you have the basic ability to doubt and think and consider that it could either be an insane or not insane idea. So you think that nobody else could possibly have such an honest belief because their basic facilties should stop them from believing it. And if they do, they made that choice and are killers.

But the key difference is that she doesnt have her basic volition and essential facilties together. She couldnt make the choice. She couldnt have doubt. The choice was made for her and it was made by the mental illness. The mental illness created the absolute honest belief. The same mental illness that creates the honest belief in some Vietnam vets that they are in Vietnam and have to shoot at the enemy.

Do you see how this works? I want to try and define this for you but it might be too complicated. We arent talking about wackos vs. normal people. We are talking about clinical insanity.

That that, ladies and gentlemen, is why lawyer's get such a bad name.

No one cares if it was her "mental illness" that caused her to do what she did, the fact of the matter is that she brutally and systematically murdered her 5 children one after the other after the other after the other after the other after the other. She filled up that bath tub, then walked to get each child to murder them with her own bare hands.

I don't care how you try to rationalize this or defend her actions, she deserves to DIE.

Accord can you read and respond to anything F_M is saying beyond "NO ONE CARES"? We're all aware that she killed her children one by one. The horror of the act is not in dispute here.

Let me put this question to you.

If you've seen the movie A Beautiful Mind, did you believe that John Nash believed the visions he was having were real? Of course he did. And I know I'm talking about a movie, but the point behind it is the same. He didn't kill anyone but if the movie is accurate then it's not unrealistic to think that he could've killed someone, believing the government ordered him to.

I hate to bring up a movie to draw an analogy here, but it's something at least we've all had a chance to sit through & understand a little bit. Killing someone who is that far gone is really no punishment at all in my opinion. When someone is THAT lost in their own psychosis, they're already in a worse place than any man-made prison, and killing them is pointless.

I may buy into the insane crap if after lets say she killed the first child and then she stops because she realizes what she did was wrong and doesn't understand what got into her head so she stops the additional killings. Maybe I would believe her but you would think after the first child she killed that you would just stop. To me it was pre-meditated. She filled up the bath tub, she gets each child one by one and drowns them. That to me is murder.

Accord can you read and respond to anything F_M is saying beyond "NO ONE CARES"? We're all aware that she killed her children one by one. The horror of the act is not in dispute here.

Let me put this question to you.

If you've seen the movie A Beautiful Mind, did you believe that John Nash believed the visions he was having were real? Of course he did. And I know I'm talking about a movie, but the point behind it is the same. He didn't kill anyone but if the movie is accurate then it's not unrealistic to think that he could've killed someone, believing the government ordered him to.

I hate to bring up a movie to draw an analogy here, but it's something at least we've all had a chance to sit through & understand a little bit. Killing someone who is that far gone is really no punishment at all in my opinion. When someone is THAT lost in their own psychosis, they're already in a worse place than any man-made prison, and killing them is pointless.

Exactly. And that movie even showed it as Nash himself having those visions and having control. It can be even worse with normal people not having any control. One example is of a upstanding doctor who had a great life. But he suffered from severe paranoid schizophrenia and killed a women thinking he was a ninja. When they had him under meds, he didnt realize what he had done.

Im not even saying throw her back into society and pretend it never happend. She needs to be put in a mental ward. There is a good debate as to whether she should be released even if the medicines work however. Those medicines can be extremely painful. But can be obligate her to take them because she becomes a threat to society if she doesnt? Its an interesting line.

I just think the idea that she should be buried alive no questions asked is pretty damn backwards. Especially when any one of us could become clinically insane tomorrow. But none of us is going to become a psychopathic killer.

That that, ladies and gentlemen, is why lawyer's get such a bad name.

No one cares if it was her "mental illness" that caused her to do what she did, the fact of the matter is that she brutally and systematically murdered her 5 children one after the other after the other after the other after the other after the other. She filled up that bath tub, then walked to get each child to murder them with her own bare hands

Whats wrong with you? Are you capable of having an even remotely intelligent discussion without labeling people out of desperation? Lawyers get bad names because stupid people like you have to make everything as simple as possible for your feeble brains. I bet you think all soldiers are rapists because of Steve Green(watch how quickly you wont get this point).

Im surprised you didnt say this is how all democrats and all liberals feel on the issue. Or maybe those kids died because Yates didnt support Bush. You have to be one of the most emotionally minded idiots on the planet.

I may buy into the insane crap if after lets say she killed the first child and then she stops because she realizes what she did was wrong and doesn't understand what got into her head so she stops the additional killings. Maybe I would believe her but you would think after the first child she killed that you would just stop. To me it was pre-meditated. She filled up the bath tub, she gets each child one by one and drowns them. That to me is murder.

So it's plausible that she is insane when she killed her first child. But then she should have turned off this insanity and stopped.... because the mentally ill have the ability to realize they are mentally ill midway through?

There is a major problem in this country with lack of awareness of mental illness.

I don't understand this about putting her to death. If a person can't rationalize and is clinically insane, then what makes them liable for what they did outside of getting treatment.

You all think that mental illness is a copout. Mental illness is worse than death. When you can't rationalize between what is good and what is bad, then maybe you'll understand.

There is a BIG difference between Andrea Yates and Ted Bundy. Andrea Yates could not rationalize what she was doing was wrong at the time. Ted Bundy did everything with a rational view on the situation.

Whats wrong with you? Are you capable of having an even remotely intelligent discussion without labeling people out of desperation? Lawyers get bad names because stupid people like you have to make everything as simple as possible for your feeble brains. I bet you think all soldiers are rapists because of Steve Green(watch how quickly you wont get this point).

Im surprised you didnt say this is how all democrats and all liberals feel on the issue. Or maybe those kids died because Yates didnt support Bush. You have to be one of the most emotionally minded idiots on the planet.

You want a sick piece of crap who brutally murdered her 5 children to be "rehabilitated" and not be held responsible for her actions and you're sitting here asking what's wrong with ME? It doesn't matter if she was aware of what she was doing or not, because the fact of the matter is she did it.

No, i'm not about to say this is how all democrats and liberals feel on the issue, but since you brought it up, I will bite. I will say it is certainly entertaining watching some of the liberals on here defending her, rather than holding her accountable for her actions. Someone brutally murders her 5 children and you don't want her punished, just absolutely disgusting. Lack of responsibility and accountability, as usual. Don't worry sir, it's not your fault that you're poor (even though you refuse to get a job)! Oh, don't worry Timmy, it's not your fault that you failed Algebra (even though you refuse to study or do your homework)! Oh, don't worry sir, it's not your fault that you robbed a bank and shot two people, it's the firearm manufacturers fault for making the gun (even though you pulled the trigger)!

At least you're consistent with not holding people accountable for their actions across the board.

There is a major problem in this country with lack of awareness of mental illness.

No, the problem is a lack of testicles.

You want a sick piece of crap who brutally murdered her 5 children to be "rehabilitated" and not be held responsible for her actions and you're sitting here asking what's wrong with ME? It doesn't matter if she was aware of what she was doing or not, because the fact of the matter is she did it.

No, i'm not about to say this is how all democrats and liberals feel on the issue, but since you brought it up, I will bite. I will say it is certainly entertaining watching some of the liberals on here defending her, rather than holding her accountable for her actions. Someone brutally murders her 5 children and you don't want her punished, just absolutely disgusting. Lack of responsibility and accountability, as usual. Don't worry sir, it's not your fault that you're poor (even though you refuse to get a job)! Oh, don't worry Timmy, it's not your fault that you failed Algebra (even though you refuse to study or do your homework)! Oh, don't worry sir, it's not your fault that you robbed a bank and shot two people, it's the firearm manufacturers fault for making the gun (even though you pulled the trigger)!

At least you're consistent with not holding people accountable for their actions across the board.

No, the problem is a lack of testicles.

I really, really approve of this message.