Cardinals Pick Up Preston Wilson

JonDigital

St. Louis Cardinals sign Preston Wilson

R.B. FALLSTROM

Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Preston Wilson signed with the St. Louis Cardinals on Friday, after being released by the Houston Astros earlier this week.

Wilson batted .269 with nine home runs and 55 RBIs with the Astros, but disappointed them with a lack of power. The Cardinals hope to improve their lineup against left-handed pitching.

St. Louis was 17-28 against left-handers entering Friday's game at Chicago. Wilson, who joined the team in time for the game, was batting .312 against left-handers.

The team also has concerns about center fielder Jim Edmonds, who missed the last two games because of post-concussion syndrome. Edmonds had been optimistic about playing Friday, but there was no word about the day's lineup.

Wilson made only two starts after July 29 for the Astros, who replaced him in the lineup with Luke Scott. He was designated for assignment Saturday.

Rookie pitcher Anthony Reyes, who lasted 3 1-3 innings in his shortest start Wednesday and is 4-6 with a 4.73 ERA, was optioned to Triple-A Memphis. That move left the Cardinals with an 11-man pitching staff and could signal the return of Mark Mulder, despite a so-so third rehab start Thursday.

Pitching for Triple-A Memphis, Mulder gave up five runs in four innings at Oklahoma City.

The Cardinals have been weak in the outfield most of the year before the emergence of rookie Chris Duncan in the last month. Wilson possibly could platoon in left field with the left-handed hitting Duncan, who's batting .338 overall but .222 against lefties in 27 at-bats.

Wilson was batting .301 with runners in scoring position and got his 1,000th career hit earlier this season against the Cardinals in Houston. An NL All-Star in 2003, he led the league with 141 RBIs that season for the Rockies.

In 2000, Wilson had 31 home runs and 36 steals with the Marlins and has six seasons with 25 or more homers.

The Cardinals have spent much of the season looking for a replacement for Reggie Sanders, who was not re-signed and ended up with the Royals, in left field. St. Louis also has tried So Taguchi, Admin Bigbie, John Rodriguez and Scott Spiezio at that position.

http://www.macon.com/mld/macon/sports/coll...er/15305886.htm

Well done Cards :thumbup

Gay.

Why b/c he isn't a relief pitcher going to the Reds? :lol

And he's not injured.

Remember us claiming Majewski was hurt before we got him? Check this out.

ST. LOUIS | It was after Wednesday night's game and the newest occupant of the Cincinnati Reds' bullpen, Scott Schoeneweis, walked to his locker wearing an ice bag on his left knee big enough to sink the Bismarck to the bottom of the sea.

And he didn't even pitch.

Some eyebrows raised around the clubhouse after all the problems with injuries to bullpen guys brought in from other teams ? Gary Majewski (shoulder), Eddie Guardado (forearm), Rheal Cormier (gluteus maximus).

Schoeneweis says it is nothing.

"A freakish thing," he said. "Did it about 10 days ago running in the outfield in Toronto. I lost my footing and slipped. I blew some stuff out in the back of my knee

:plain

Gay.

And he's not injured.

ST. LOUIS | It was after Wednesday night's game and the newest occupant of the Cincinnati Reds' bullpen, Scott Schoeneweis, walked to his locker wearing an ice bag on his left knee big enough to sink the Bismarck to the bottom of the sea.

Some eyebrows raised around the clubhouse after all the problems with injuries to bullpen guys brought in from other teams ? Gary Majewski (shoulder), Eddie Guardado (forearm), Rheal Cormier (gluteus maximus).

"A freakish thing," he said. "Did it about 10 days ago running in the outfield in Toronto. I lost my footing and slipped. I blew some stuff out in the back of my knee

Interesting. Although the only person on that list that should raise an eyebrow is Majewski. The rest have had there share of injuries and setbacks this year. If anything perhaps Mr Krivsky (sp?) should have evaluated what he was getting a bit better before pulling the string on half of the relief pitchers in MLB.

Gay.

And he's not injured.

Interesting. Although the only person on that list that should raise an eyebrow is Majewski. The rest have had there share of injuries and setbacks this year. If anything perhaps Mr Krivsky (sp?) should have evaluated what he was getting a bit better before pulling the string on half of the relief pitchers in MLB.

:lol

So true.

Gay.

And he's not injured.

I heard about that. They were saying that Majewski could possibly have to return to the Nationals and that the trade would be voided. But he passed through the Reds' physical before he was traded. The Nationals gave all information they had on Majewski to the Reds.

Gay.

And he's not injured.

I heard about that. They were saying that Majewski could possibly have to return to the Nationals and that the trade would be voided. But he passed through the Reds' physical before he was traded. The Nationals gave all information they had on Majewski to the Reds.That's not true, but there is no point in discussing it. I doubt anything happens.

Gay.

And he's not injured.

I heard about that. They were saying that Majewski could possibly have to return to the Nationals and that the trade would be voided. But he passed through the Reds' physical before he was traded. The Nationals gave all information they had on Majewski to the Reds.That's not true, but there is no point in discussing it. I doubt anything happens.

At least thats what SC said. They're always right, aren't they?

I know anyone can hit homers against the Cubs but we we're 0-10 in CHICAGO until today.. Wilson's homer came when the Cards were up only 4-3 in the 6th.. he put it at 5-3 and then Bennett, Pujols, Rolen, and Belliard all followed with homers to put it outta reach.. It was a nice 2/5 game for his debut.. a needed addition today.. maybe he wont be much but I think he'll be fine

Gay.

And he's not injured.

Some eyebrows raised around the clubhouse after all the problems with injuries to bullpen guys brought in from other teams ? Gary Majewski (shoulder), Eddie Guardado (forearm), Rheal Cormier (gluteus maximus).Schoeneweis says it is nothing.

that's kinda weird in proper terms he strained his ass.

• 2 weeks later...