Wood Tops List of 'Topes Call-Ups

MrAndMrsFish

Seven years removed from his last stint in the Major Leagues, Albuquerque Isotopes icon Jason Wood will get another chance, as the infielder?s contract has been purchased by the Florida Marlins today. Joining Wood in getting a September call-up is outfielder Eric Reed, outfielder Chris Aguila, and catcher Paul Hoover.

Wood, who leads the Isotopes in RBI with 77 to go along with a .288 batting average, will get his first opportunity in the Major Leagues since 1999, when he played in 27 games for the Detroit Tigers. The infielder, who was named ?Topes MVP earlier today, the third time in four years he?s won the honor, has been an institution in the Marlins system, having played for Florida?s Triple-A affiliate for the last five seasons, the last four of which have been in Albuquerque. This season, Wood has been a pillar of consistency, scoring 64 runs while hitting 23 doubles, three triples, and 11 homers in 123 games for the Isotopes heading into today?s season finale with Oklahoma. Meanwhile, Reed has provided a key spark at the top of the ?Topes lineup, batting .303 with a team-high 68 runs in 95 games. This year, the fleet-footed Reed, who swiped 20 bases, also found his power stroke, blasting a career-high five home runs. Reed will be making his second appearance with the parent club having started the season with Florida before being optioned to Albuquerque on May 17. Also making a return trip to the big leagues this year is Aguila, who earned his promotion with a stellar stretch run. In August and September, the outfielder batted .333 with six home runs and a team-high 29 RBI. Like Reed, Aguila started the year in Florida before being optioned to the Isotopes on May 29. Hoover returns to a Florida team that he just left two weeks ago. After having his contract purchased by the Fish on August 3, the catcher spent almost two weeks in the Major Leagues, getting one start, before returning to the Isotopes on August 16. Heading into play today, Hoover was hitting .278 and a team-best .417 with the bases loaded. Hoover also dazzled this year behind the plate, throwing out a PCL-high 35 would-be base stealers.

LINK

Only thing i find weird about these call-ups is.....wasn't hoover DFA'd when mitre was activated...if so...who would we have taken off the 40-man to recall him???? Unless they moved Martinez to the 60-day??? Im just a little confused on that one.

Wood was definately someone i didnt expect to be called up and the game goes for Hoover.

i thought we were going to add another arm in the bullpen and i was hoping it would be Adam Bostick

I do understand the callups of Aguila and Reed though, Aguila giving us more depth in the outfield and some goes with Reed and they could be late inning pinch runners that would give us alot more speed.