Marlins Marketing

manzyfan

I've been reading a lot of posts where people are complaining about the Marlins marketing. I agree that it does need an overhaul. So, as diehard fans, what are things that you would like to see happen?

I, for one, feel there needs to be more things geared towards women (and not those stupid pink jerseys. UGH!). Women make up a significant percentage of the attendance at ballgames. The Dodgers have a Women's Initiative Network and the Pirates have started a Lady Bucs Club. A few friends of mine and I are trying to start the Lady Marlins club.

Ladies Nite needs to be changed somehow. I haven't figured out what I would do differently yet. As a female baseball player, I would make me feel more connected to the team if they had more things geared toward women who were interested in the game and not just the eye candy.

Just my two cents.

You know you're marketing department sucks when...

1) Your 2005 marketing slogan is GET HOOKED!

2) Your 2006 marketing slogan is GET HOOKED UP!

:|

:lol

for me I'd like to see better giveaways, and some other attractions at the ballpark. make it enjoyable to come out to the park.

Ladies night is a huge step.

I don't think we can do the whole gender specific thing until we get down the concept of general fan support/incentive.

Just taking a hint from teams I've seen (Red Sox, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Padres)

1) Put up team stores that aren't just glorified ports of stadium stores. For the Marlins, having one in Sawgrass Mills, or in Mizner park or in Palm Beach county to go with the one in Miami would start the whole process of getting the "logo out." Add stuff for the hardcore fan (throwbacks, autographs, tshirts) to go for the real purpose (ticket counter without the TicketMaster surcharges) is just a fantastic way to get exposure for the team and generate income for the team.

2) Embrace the past (hard to do given our spotted past) but with such rich history in the team's brief existence, using this as a springboard for the creation of "true" Marlin tradition is the way to go. I hope we do something for the 10th anniversary of '97 next season, and continue in that way as some of our more established players (Conine, Sheffield, Leiter, Brown) come closer to retirement or have already hung them up.

3) Fan "loyalty" program. I'm not sure how the teams I've seen do it (Padres, Dodgers) do it, but it involves somehow rewarding the fans for spending on the team. So much and you can go on a road trip with the team, get autographed stuff, etc. It's like a rewards program for rabidly obsessed fans.

Add to that typical business sense that we've seemed to ignore (don't criticize the venue or the consumers) and we should be taking baby steps.

To me, goal #1 should be getting more Marlins hats on the heads of South Florida consumers than Yankee/Mets/Red Sox hats.

:thumbup

So true!

I don't think we can do the whole gender specific thing until we get down the concept of general fan support/incentive.

Just taking a hint from teams I've seen (Red Sox, Mets, Yankees, Dodgers, Angels, Padres)

1) Put up team stores that aren't just glorified ports of stadium stores. For the Marlins, having one in Sawgrass Mills, or in Mizner park or in Palm Beach county to go with the one in Miami would start the whole process of getting the "logo out." Add stuff for the hardcore fan (throwbacks, autographs, tshirts) to go for the real purpose (ticket counter without the TicketMaster surcharges) is just a fantastic way to get exposure for the team and generate income for the team.

2) Embrace the past (hard to do given our spotted past) but with such rich history in the team's brief existence, using this as a springboard for the creation of "true" Marlin tradition is the way to go. I hope we do something for the 10th anniversary of '97 next season, and continue in that way as some of our more established players (Conine, Sheffield, Leiter, Brown) come closer to retirement or have already hung them up.

3) Fan "loyalty" program. I'm not sure how the teams I've seen do it (Padres, Dodgers) do it, but it involves somehow rewarding the fans for spending on the team. So much and you can go on a road trip with the team, get autographed stuff, etc. It's like a rewards program for rabidly obsessed fans.

Add to that typical business sense that we've seemed to ignore (don't criticize the venue or the consumers) and we should be taking baby steps.

To me, goal #1 should be getting more Marlins hats on the heads of South Florida consumers than Yankee/Mets/Red Sox hats.

The idea for a fan "loyalty" program is happening for season ticket holders. If their accounts have racked up like $15,000 or more they get rewards like a road trip, or dinner with the Marlins during the Caravan, and stuff like that. But it would be nice to have a program like that for regular joes like me. Although I have season tickets, I would never be able to rack up that much money.

:thumbup

So true!

The idea for a fan "loyalty" program is happening for season ticket holders. If their accounts have racked up like $15,000 or more they get rewards like a road trip, or dinner with the Marlins during the Caravan, and stuff like that. But it would be nice to have a program like that for regular joes like me. Although I have season tickets, I would never be able to rack up that much money.

I'm aware of that program, but you have to drop the money right then and there on the tickets.

In this program, it's a running point total like an Amex card.

what program are you talking about Swifty?

another thing: it'd also be nice if concessions and the store items weren't soo much. some things are decently priced but some are a little too expensive.

1) You spend X amount of money on season tickets and then something comes relative to what you spend (unless it's over $20 G's it's nothing notable).

2) :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol

for me I'd like to see better giveaways, and some other attractions at the ballpark. make it enjoyable to come out to the park.

you're right about that.

I'm not sure how all the teams do it, but the Dodgers do it by linking your existing credit card to their rewards program, kind of like the 1% back promos that the credit card companies do. Once linked to the card, you recieve points for using that card to make purchases at participating retailers, the stadium, or in the MLB shop online. It's pretty cool.

Pay off local news programmers to give more time to covering the Marlins. Especially when they're actually doing well. Seems like it should be unnecessary, but there just isn't awareness among locals of what the team is doing, which was really sad with all the amazing things this team accomplished (First Rookie 10-game winning trio since Brooklyn in 52, MLB rookie 2B HR record, first no-hitter in over 2 years, soon to be 4 10 game winning rookies, rookie teammates with 100 runs scored, or 3 rookies with 20 HRs, etc etc). Get the players on TV more. Even if that means buying them good seats for Heat game...just get them out there, so that people know who they are before they come to see a game, and they find out what they're doing.

Lets get billboards with faces other than Miguelito & DTrain's too.

And something better than "get hooked" or any variation thereof.

3) In 2005 your marketing department markets the "81 Reasons to go to a Marlins game", themselves corny and shitastic reasons rather than marketing all-stars Carlos Delgado, Mike Lowell, Luis Castillo, Paul LoDuca and South Florida favorites Josh Beckett, Juan Pierre and Jeff Conine.

2003 was byfar the best year in recent memory when it comes to marketing. Remember those commercials that made fun of other teams and got Maddux' panties in a bunch? Those were commercials. Not these Mets fans spitting coffee and Marlins' fan pouring fish into a Phillies' fan's car commercials.

It didn't really occur to me the "genious" of the marketing departments using basically the same slogan twice until this topic was brought up.

Also, I agree the TV commericals about vandalising other teams' fans cars was childish, stupid, and not humorous in any way. You want to have a humorous commercial showing the the team? Look at the MLB/XM? commercials or using another sport - anybody remember that commercial from about 3-4 years ago with the Jets fans in a sports bar and then the Dolphin fan celebrates a touchdown and the place goes silent? That was funny. (I'm a Dolphin fan, BTW).

Regarding 2007, they better not blow the opportunity to properly honor that 10-year anniversary. Maybe do like what the Mets did this year with several themes throughout the year celebrating 1986 and then having a specific 1986 celebration day (against Colorado).

i couldn't agree more!

I'm all for womens night.

i think there should actually be a striper night. :] (but thats a different type of womens marketing)

anyway.

what about like, marlins tarp-blankets, sponsored by the weather channel... that would be funny...

i also think they should be giving away free tickets, it doesn't cost them anything and even if they're not making money on parking and concession, at least they're in the stadium rooting for the marlins, which is more than the orange seats are doing...