Food for thought......

Accord

And yet we kept hearing all year how much better the AL was than the NL.

and it was...

but an american league team didnt the win the world series...so they couldnt have been that much better

anything can happen in a 7-game series, especially in baseball, that proves nothing. Did you notice the interleague standings last year?

Did the Marlins play in the weakest division in baseball (NL Central)?

Nope. That's all that needs to be said. They weren't good enough to beat the Mets. They weren't good enough to beat the Padres (or the Dodgers).

Did you stop watching on Oct 1st??

anything can happen in a 7-game series, especially in baseball, that proves nothing.

And if a 7-game series means nothing, then I guess the World Series, and any championship period (since every championship has a decisive game or series) means nothing too.

Yes, the regular season is a larger sample size, but considering all the other variables such as injuries and the comparable difficulties of teams' schedules, it's not a perfect way to decide which team is "better". In baseball, we all accept that you work to qualify for the playoffs, then win them. If not that, then what? Because I'm not about to say the Yankees are the best team in baseball off their record when they get to pad their record with around 35 games a year with the Orioles and the Devil Rays. Not to mention the fact that the entire Boston pitching staff collapsed when Varitek got injured, basically giving away the division (and plenty of wins).

My point is basically this - if not the playoffs and all it's 7-game series, what does actually prove something in terms of which team is "better"?