Ryan Church?

Hollyberry

Ryan Church:

Chris Snelling's imminent arrival in Washington will likely further increase the chances that Ryan Church is dealt this winter.

Snelling and Church are both left-handed hitters who fit best in left field, though they do have some experience in center. It's unlikely that the Nationals will need both, and Church appeared to be on the way out anyway. We're guessing the starting job will be Snelling's to lose in spring training. Michael Restovich could act as his platoon partner

Thoughts? He might be worth a shot. Can't be any worse than Reggie.

Ryan Church:

Chris Snelling's imminent arrival in Washington will likely further increase the chances that Ryan Church is dealt this winter.

Snelling and Church are both left-handed hitters who fit best in left field, though they do have some experience in center. It's unlikely that the Nationals will need both, and Church appeared to be on the way out anyway. We're guessing the starting job will be Snelling's to lose in spring training. Michael Restovich could act as his platoon partner

He's a helluva of a lot better than Reggie ever was on his best day but this board has already decided they have no interest in him and it appears Admin Beinfest feels the same.

I thought a Sean West (#5-6-7 prospect) or a couple legitimate high A prospects would get him but either a) the Nationals and Marlins have had confidential conversations and couldn't work out a deal or b) Manny Acta has convinced the FO to keep him or c) the Marlins legitimately have no interest because they think PPS's centerfield is too big for him to play or d) some other reason.

Personally I think he'd be a good fit here, but I'm in the minority.

He's a helluva of a lot better than Reggie ever was on his best day but this board has already decided they have no interest in him and it appears Admin Beinfest feels the same.

I really think you are very wrong in this case. Most of us would welcome Ryan Church, not sure where that perception is that most of the board doesnt want him.

I really think you are very wrong in this case. Most of us would welcome Ryan Church, not sure where that perception is that most of the board doesnt want him.

You know what it probably wouldnt take a whole lot for us to get him either i mean they have a glut of outfielders...im seeing a sergio mitre deal maybe not straight up but i certanly wouldnt get rid of pinto

Well, I'd certainly be happy to hear I'm not in the minority on this. The impression I had was most people had little interest in him. I guess this is one where you win by losing. :thumbup

I would take him but sure as hell not for Sean West. I think he is our best prospective pitcher in the minors, even better then Volstad.

It was a mistake, I was looking at an old list of prospects and not thinking, but I thought I made it clear I was talking about a 5-6-7 pitching prospect.

I'd take Church but I don't really know if the Marlins can/should stop there.

My theory all along is that this team is organic, especially in trying to cost effectively finding the right guy to play there for four to six years in this white hot market. If not this guy, try the next until one of them clicks. As long as in the meantime you can get a .250 BA and a .340-.350 OBP and reasonable defense you are better off than three months+ of Reggie.

I still like Willits, think he would be great. If he fell on his face, I'd say what I'm saying now, go try Shane Costa, or Gathright or Church or fillintheblank because you can afford to experiment with a few guys to get it right when it's only costing $350k for a test flight. And a couple of them might wind up being your corner outfielders of the future.

I think we have good scouting and talent evaluators. They want to bring in a Ryan Church, who is a name most of us know, great. If they want to bring in some guy who tore up a AA-AAA league somewhere we've never heard of, I'm down with that until he proves them wrong. I don't feel any pressure to go get a big name CFer.

And frankly I'm not even against Amezaga landing the job if he improves a bit defensively (although I notice he is playing zero CF in Mexico which tells me that's not in the cards as far as the FO is concerned) and forgets about switch-hitting. he should hit lefty against everyone and I bet he's wind up hitting .240-.250 against lefties if he just stays on his left side and gains some confidence there.

Well, I'd certainly be happy to hear I'm not in the minority on this. The impression I had was most people had little interest in him. I guess this is one where you win by losing. :thumbup

I would take him but sure as hell not for Sean West. I think he is our best prospective pitcher in the minors, even better then Volstad.

It was a mistake, I was looking at an old list of prospects and not thinking, but I thought I made it clear I was talking about a 5-6-7 pitching prospect.

No worries dude it is kewl, just wanted to make sure :)

I know these stats don't carry much weight, but here are his splits from last year:

vs. Left: .167 vs. Right: .176

Home: .065 Road: .281

Day: .318 Night: .098

Grass: .281 Turf: .065

Looks pretty good if he's playing an entire season of road games, in the day, on grass. Not so great at home, in the dark, on turf. :D

Maybe a nice pair of hornrims with a skull & crossbones between his eyes would help him see the ball better at night. haha

Actually, I was looking a bit more in depth, wondering how if he hit so poorly against both lefties and righties he came up with such a decent batting average. But those stats were taken directly from the quick splits area on his player page, on mlb.com. If you look in depth at his splits, they look much more favorable, so I don't know where in the world mlb.com got the quick splits. Apologies to all.

Ryan Church:

I thought a Sean West (#5-6-7 prospect) or a couple legitimate high A prospects would get him but either a) the Nationals and Marlins have had confidential conversations and couldn't work out a deal or b) Manny Acta has convinced the FO to keep him or c) the Marlins legitimately have no interest because they think PPS's centerfield is too big for him to play or d) some other reason.

I don't know about being in the minority; I would love to have the guy. He reminds me of Kotsay and that is a good thing.

I know these stats don't carry much weight, but here are his splits from last year:

vs. Left: .167 vs. Right: .176

Home: .065 Road: .281

Day: .318 Night: .098

Grass: .281 Turf: .065

Looks pretty good if he's playing an entire season of road games, in the day, on grass. Not so great at home, in the dark, on turf. :D

Maybe a nice pair of hornrims with a skull & crossbones between his eyes would help him see the ball better at night. haha

Actually, I was looking a bit more in depth, wondering how if he hit so poorly against both lefties and righties he came up with such a decent batting average. But those stats were taken directly from the quick splits area on his player page, on mlb.com. If you look in depth at his splits, they look much more favorable, so I don't know where in the world mlb.com got the quick splits. Apologies to all.

Those are Church's splits from 2004 when he first came up and only had 63 ABs and batted .175 overall. His career splits show about the same OPS against lefties (.811) and righties (.807). He has more power against righties and hits for a better average against lefties.