Marlins taking a 2nd look at Free Agents

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sport...ll/16233113.htm

Posted on Thu, Dec. 14, 2006

MARLINS

New free agents might be sought

BY KEVIN BAXTER

[email protected]

Unable to find a trade he could make or a free agent he could afford in the first two months of the offseason, Marlins general manager Admin Beinfest awoke to a changed landscape Wednesday, which he hopes will prove more fruitful.

At midnight Tuesday, 28 major-leaguers became free agents when the clubs holding their rights declined to offer them contracts.

With the regular free agent market ridiculously overpriced for the commodities the Marlins need most -- a closer and outfielder -- Beinfest undoubtedly is looking over these new offerings with interest.

Among the more attractive ones are right-hander Todd Williams, who appeared in 134 games for the Baltimore Orioles the past two seasons; veteran right-hander Chris Reitsma (Braves); outfielders Aaron Guiel (Yankees), Jayson Werth (Dodgers) and Alexis Gomez (Tigers); and catcher Toby Hall (Dodgers).

Beinfest, who declined to comment Wednesday, has plucked a number of reclamation projects -- including Joe Borowski and Miguel Olivo -- from baseball's nontender bargain bin in the past. But the talent pool is markedly smaller this year.

With so few teams willing to trade, most clubs elected to hold on to their role players at Tuesday's deadline. As a result, the number of arbitration-eligible players not offered contracts this winter is a fraction of what it has been.

But that, too, could work in Beinfest's favor.

Clubs hoping to grab a young pitcher on the free agent market had to have been disappointed at the list of players who became available Wednesday and might now be motivated to make a trade.

That could create additional opportunities for the Marlins, who have the deepest surplus of young arms in baseball.

I hate to say it but given the current market conditions i dont see how the Marlins are going to afford even mediocre players mentioned above i think unlike the previous year there is such little talent out there that larger market teams will pay for a todd jones or joe bo (before the marlins saved them) on the oft chance they will turn it around. IMO this year is probably more frustrating than last year because we arent too far away but we dont have the resources to make a move

I hate to say it but given the current market conditions i dont see how the Marlins are going to afford even mediocre players mentioned above i think unlike the previous year there is such little talent out there that larger market teams will pay for a todd jones or joe bo (before the marlins saved them) on the oft chance they will turn it around. IMO this year is probably more frustrating than last year because we arent too far away but we dont have the resources to make a move

wrong....we do have the resources (young pitching). We just aren't stupid to trade with idiots like the D-Rays and more and more GMs are scared to deal with Admin Beinfest. They don't want to give away the next D-Train or Hanley Ramirez or Anibal Sanchez.

wrong....we do have the resources (young pitching). We just aren't stupid to trade with idiots like the D-Rays and more and more GMs are scared to deal with Admin Beinfest. They don't want to give away the next D-Train or Hanley Ramirez or Anibal Sanchez.

I was thinking spending money on a free agent or two to address our needs in the outfield and bullpen , so we dont have to think about trading our pitching, i dont think the Marlins ownership will ok the money to get those pieces .

I was thinking spending money on a free agent or two to address our needs in the outfield and bullpen , so we dont have to think about trading our pitching, i dont think the Marlins ownership will ok the money to get those pieces .

Don't worry as we get closer to ST there are always F/As that are ignored in the market by all teams . they will be several trying to establish or hold onto a MLB career. Those will be available to the Marlins and within the budget frame. It's a game of patience...and you are right the D-Rays are idiots!. Upton is an outstanding young talent which they lack the opportunity of developing. His trade value is marginal at best at this moment due to not really have performed in his brief MLB career and not being able to field a position. Ofcourse you project a high upside but how many players have the tools and never bring it together. D-Rays overplay their hand and will end up getting rid of him for almost nothing. I believe Werth is the best F/A CF and he will be looking for a chance to start which the Marlins do offer. Will he command a large salary? I doubt it

Don't worry as we get closer to ST there are always F/As that are ignored in the market by all teams . they will be several trying to establish or hold onto a MLB career. Those will be available to the Marlins and within the budget frame. It's a game of patience...and you are right the D-Rays are idiots!. Upton is an outstanding young talent which they lack the opportunity of developing. His trade value is marginal at best at this moment due to not really have performed in his brief MLB career and not being able to field a position. Ofcourse you project a high upside but how many players have the tools and never bring it together. D-Rays overplay their hand and will end up getting rid of him for almost nothing. I believe Werth is the best F/A CF and he will be looking for a chance to start which the Marlins do offer. Will he command a large salary? I doubt it

you don't make the leap with that strategy. you just fill out the 11th man in the bullpen and the 4th outfielder that way...not the closer and starting centerfielder.

I say Beinfest sign players to multiyear contracts... spend way over the limit handed down by loria and claim it was david samson that authorized it!

and trade reggie abercrombie for a nice gift basket because he is a cheaper cheap man's version of preston wilson... without talent!

:batman