No chance of a multiyear contract for D-Train

PBCMarlinsFan

While the Benitez portion of Juan Rodriguez's article in today's Sun-Sentinel got most of the discussion today, there were two briefs of interest.

ONE SEASON AT A TIME

Asked to characterize the likelihood of the Marlins and arbitration-eligible left-hander Dontrelle Willis agreeing to a multi-year deal this offseason, a Willis associate said: "No chance of it happening."

This is disappointing to me. I thought this offseason was pretty much the last chance the Marlins had to sign Dontrelle to a contract extension through the rest of his arbitration years and possibly beyond. It seems that was a naive belief and that time has already come and gone, if this Dontrelle associate is legitimate.

My ETA on Dontrelle getting traded is anywhere from the 2007 offseason (if he bounces back in 2007 and pitches more in his 2003/2005 form) to before the 2008 season's trade deadline (if he has another 2004/2006 type season in 2007, hoping he comes out strong in 2008 and ups his trade value).

While this isn't necessarily bad for the Marlins longterm depending on the prospects we can probably expect to get in return for him, I wanted to see this type of multiyear deal happen. Besides securing the services of a 24-year-old lefty workhorse 20-game winner, one of the most marketable players in baseball and a team leader, the Marlins would also have gone some way to restoring some of the faith of the more fairweather fans that were lost during the last offseason (as well as not cause another fan exodus).

REITSMA INTEREST

According to an industry source, the Marlins have reached out to right-hander Chris Reitsma's representatives.

Mike Paolercio, Reitsma's Cincinnati-based agent, would not confirm whether the Marlins were one of "multiple teams" that have called about his client, who the Braves non-tendered this week.

The Marlins may also investigate right-hander Jorge Sosa.

Source-- Juan Rodriguez, Sun-Sentinel, Dec. 16, 2006

Great. First it was Reitsma and now the rumor is the Marlins may look into acquiring Jorge Sosa? This is not the bullpen upgrade you are looking for.

I'm not saying Dontrelle is going to pitch for the Fish his entire career but if a stadium deal gets done and construction proceeds on schedule so that the Marlins can calculate the start of a predictable cashflow, I'd bet Dontrelle is still on the team for opening day in their new stadium.

I'm not betting the ranch on it but its more than just plausible, it makes good busines sense.

I'm not saying Dontrelle is going to pitch for the Fish his entire career but if a stadium deal gets done and construction proceeds on schedule so that the Marlins can calculate the start of a predictable cashflow, I'd bet Dontrelle is still on the team for opening day in their new stadium.

I'm not betting the ranch on it but its more than just plausible, it makes good busines sense.

If no further CF upgrades are made this offseason, my guess is that the Marlins view Dontrelle as being the key next offseason to either a) getting a elite CF prospect who figures to be our longterm solution there plus an average to slightly above average near-MLB ready catcher prospect/non-arby eligible young catcher or b) an elite catcher prospect plus an average to slightly above average young CF prospect/non-arby eligible player. Plus maybe a 3B prospect depending on how they view Miguel's signability.

Edit: I do see the Marlins holding onto Dontrelle until they get a stadium deal inked (to not poison the well any further than they have as far as local support goes), but as far as pitching in a new stadium on Opening Day? I doubt it.

Screw Rietsma, guy sucks!

As for the long term deals for Willis and Cabs.. I have no problem with the Marlins giving them 1 year deals. That how it should be. The Marlins will never be stuck with a contract. I dont expect them to sign any player long term unless the get a stadium deal done. They aren't stupid

Screw Rietsma, guy sucks!

As for the long term deals for Willis and Cabs.. I have no problem with the Marlins giving them 1 year deals. That how it should be. The Marlins will never be stuck with a contract. I dont expect them to sign any player long term unless the get a stadium deal done. They aren't stupid

As far as the Miggy and DTrain opinion, I agree. I have never had a problem giving one year contracts to AE players. These two can't become FA until after the '09 season. So no rush. The players seem to understand what is happening even if the fans don't. No doubt they will cost us more down the road, but down the road we will be able to afford more with a stadium in place and a fan base that is slowly coming back. And would anyone care to bet on how much season ticket sales explodes when a stadium deal is penned and ground is broken?? A new ball park will be the place to be seen in South Florida for at least a couple years. That is a big deal with such fashion conscious fans as we have. Contrary to what some think, season ticket sales is what the team looks at when they figure out what they will be able to afford to spend and not just the corporate sales, which BTW also figures into season ticket sales.

As far as Rietsma goes, I don't pass judgement on who ever the team brings in as closer. They seem to have a Midas-like touch there. I can't remember the last time a would be closer was brought in during the off season that garnered much fan support. Almost always it has been, "Are they crazy? This guy sucks!!"

Well time to jump off whatever is left of this so-call fan base. :mad

I would say see ya and good riddance, but it dosen't sound as if you ever really were on the boat. So buy your Cards hat for the first half of the season and save up for a new hat of whoever is predicted to do the best after the ASB. We promise to wave as we zoom on bye.

I have no problem giving these retreads deals. Anything can happen in our ballpark. Just keep throwing sh*t against the wall and see what sticks.

That's how I feel about centerfield. There are so many bonafide young players who are buried in other systems and can be had for a minimal price, as long as your scouts and talent evaluators think they are major league capable, keep trotting them in until one of them "sticks".

We don't need a "big name" superstar free agent in centerfield, we need someone who can contribute there. If we can keep developing terrific pitching prospects and other teams develop quality positional pospects things having a way of working themselves out.

My goals would be Miggy this offseason (a la Pujols) Dontrelle next season (that way we can give him only a 4 year deal and just buy out two free agent years and not just one).

Sadly, I'd say Miggy's even less likely.

Those goals are solid ones, but as the days pass the likelihood of either happening seems to become fainter and fainter. If there is one player I do expect the Marlins to make some kind of multiyear offer for Miguel once they have some idea of when they can expect revenues from their new stadium it is Miguel. But I have serious doubts the Marlins will be willing to pony up the necessary cash. If the Marlins make a multiyear offer for Miguel next offseason, I don't see them being able to sign him to an Albert Pujols type contract. The days they could sign him that cheaply have passed. I'm thinking it would take more of a 6-7 year, $120-$150 million contract to keep him longterm at this point.

With a huge crop of players set to become arby eligible at the same time in 2009 (Olsen, Johnson, Nolasco, Hermida, Willingham, Jacobs, Ramirez, Uggla and Tankersley) Beinfest needs to really take a page out of Mark Shapiro's handbook and start working on a few affordable multiyear deals to cover at least the arby years of some of our young players. I'm just hoping that losing Dontrelle and Miguel will make Beinfest consider the need to do this with some of them.

And by the way, I've seen in the past some suggest Ramirez be one of the players we do this with. I agree he should probably be one that is targeted. But then again, he is a Boras client (as far as I know), so you have to wonder how affordable a multiyear deal covering his arby years would be.