Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins' pitch for stadium cash apt to fall short

Featured Replies

Well, as expected, the slime has come out from under the rocks to express their opinions on today's House vote. Here is another sampling of the "voices" on the Sun-Sentinel message boards:

 

DolFanChas

United States #85 3 hrs ago

Everyone here that will drive to DADE to watch/do anything ,, raise your hands ,,,,,, ANYBODY????,,,, ANYBODY at all????

Anytime I HAVE to go to Mi-jammie,, I wanna bring a gun,, an attack dog and a rocket launcher to protect myself!

I'll go see the Dolphins cause it's barely south of the 'border'. I LOVE all south Florida sports teams ,, but really ,, look who PAYING for tickets! Broward & Palm Beach FANS ...

 

John in Fort Lauderdale

AOL #88 2 hrs ago

What a fokking waste of money. Look, you can build it, but no one will come. The only ones interested in South Florida baseball are all the illegal alines here. And the only thing they can afford are the nose bleed, cheap seats a couple of times per year. No, this is going to be a $700 million dollar white elephant that will smell of stale beer and urine shortly after it is opened.

 

bubba

United States #95 2 hrs ago

you people are CLOWNS!there's nothing wrong with the stadium they all ready have and can't even fill that one because lets face it the MARLINS SUCK! people,do nt allow them to build another stadium! especialy NOT IN COOOOBA VILLE! everyone i know in s.fl will not go there! it SUCKS!

 

bubba

United States #96 2 hrs ago

Leeeroy wrote:

I've been here 50 years and wouldn't travel to Miami for any reason...much less baseball...no habla

me either MIJAMY JUST PLAIN SUCKS! there just trying to boost tourism and atract more coooooba rafters looking for work!

 

THE DONALD

AOL #107 2 hrs ago

GIVE ME A BREAK I DON'T WANT MY MONEY SPENT ON A STADIUM FOR SPANISH SPEAKING BALLPLAYERS

 

Rickybobby

Melville, NY #109 2 hrs ago

They need to put in on the Broward Palm Beach Boarder.

 

This will draw more people from Palm Beach. Who wants to go to Miami?

 

This guy is my new hero:

 

Miami Bashers

Miami, FL #111 2 hrs ago

What I am most curious about is why these debates always turn into a Miami bashing parade. Perhaps many of you Broward/Palm Beach people find it hilarious to bash Miami because, well, it makes you feel good about your own pathetic lives. It gives you a nice, warm feeling inside to take out your frustration and hatred for things you don't understand or that scare you, such as diversity and different languages. God forbid you would learn a little about different cultures and the fascinating nuances that exist between people. God forbid you should have an open mind. But instead, you choose to stay in your little protected world criticizing Miami from afar, while, at the same time, knowing very little about it.

 

I, for one, avoid going into Broward as much as possible. Whenever I am there I feel like I am in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the banalities of suburbia. Everything looks and feels the same. I could be in Broward or in Orlando or Jacksonville or Peoria. YAWN.

 

Baseball has a chance to stay in the area. For those of you that are too close minded to come and see the games in Miami, I feel sorry for you. Evidently you have bigger problems you need to work on. For those of you who love the sport and the team, this is a bright day in the future of the Marlins and baseball in the region.

 

Bernardo in Miami

 

Watz Next

United States #115 1 hr ago

Wrong. I care about South Florida, but I don't care about Miami (North Cuba). Broward would be a much better location - they'll sell a lot more tickets there. I'll go to Miami when someone there can and will speak English to me. I love diversity and culture too, but if I want to hear nothing but Spanish, I'll go to Spain.

 

Kiki

Pompano Beach, FL #125 17 min ago

WHAT ABOUT BULL FIGHTING? OLE!

 

For those of you in Broward tonight, be on the lookout for the smell of smoke, because I'm sure some of these posters are going to be doing some cross burnin' tonight!

Are any of those guys even Marlins fans? Did they listen to Olivo last night? The guy barely speaks any English.

I don't know how this swirled into a racist thing. Or county vs county chest thumping. Racists in Broward, all over 60 crowd in PBC. Give me a break here.

Evidently it needs to be said again. IF it is built in downtown Miami we will keep our season tix for at least one season. One reason is pure selfishness. We "worked" hard at getting those row 1, on the aisle seats and I want to enjoy the equivalent of them in a brand new pond with that new car smell. But the main one is we want to see if it is feasible to attend week night games and still maintain my day time job. I don't think of Miami as a "banana republic". I don't drive into Broward and comment on how "dark" it just got around here. Or come back to PBC and think I just entered the "retirement zone". MLB is entertainment, a hobby for us fans, something to do in our spare time that we love to watch. If it interferes with your work then you need to change your habits. Meaning, if we can't go to the games during the week and still maintain the same level of workmanship then it will be time to trade in those full season ticket packages for something that is better fit for our schedules.

I don't want to hear the typical arguments that I always hear either. No one actually knows how much more time it will take getting into and out of downtown when/if it is built there until it is actually built there. No one can say the traffic won't be different than it already is, because it will be different. Traffic patterns will be different with that many autos going into downtown with basically the same amount as now leaving downtown. Alternative (public) transportation will take far longer than actually just driving there. As it is now during the week it takes an average of just over an hour to get to the ball park. Same thing home. And long games can have my Steinbrenner dragging the next day. Changing in our full season packages for week end packages is the only alternative other than saying the hell with MLB totally. No MLB at all is not an acceptable alternative. Through conversations at the ball park and in my "travels" just about everyone I talk to feels the same way. Going to the Sun's message board, or any message board, and pulling some posts is not a realistic view of the real Marlins fans. We may be few, but we are proud to be Marlins fans. And we want the team to stay regardless of where they are calling home.

 

Did it just become San Francisco in here? I haven't seen fog this thick since Adrienne Barbeau was the hottest thing going (I knew that BroncoBob, Marlins2003, and myself would probably be the only ones old enough to get that joke) :D

 

Are you saying we are the only ones here that remember when a cell phone was something you were allowed one phone call on???

The four economists mentioned in the article are correct and because they're correct if the rebate proponents continue to push the rebate as if it's for economic development then the rebate wont pass. There are reasons to vote for the rebate but economic development is not one of them. Push the other reasons.

 

 

You are right. The economic argument has been disproved so thoroughly that it is ridiculous to talk about it.

 

The case for the stadium has to be built on other grounds, or we will not win.

 

And the fact that Forbes reports that Loria made $43.3 million last year in Operating Income the most of any team in MLB doesn't help. The "no subsidies for the rich" argument comes to mind.

I still laugh at how many people dont understand how so many people can not understand the concept of a rebate...or if they just ignore it and knowingly spew falsely that the state is just giving the Fish $60 million.

 

Anyhow, driving an hour to a game and an hour back once or twice a week shouldnt be a big deal. As much crap as I give Cardinals fans, and I heap it on o-plenty, they drive sometimes 2 hours there and 2 hours back multiple times a week.

 

The "well I dont want to drive an hour to a game and an hour back home" is nothing but a flimsy excuse and an easy out to why you dont attend games.

I still laugh at how many people dont understand how so many people can not understand the concept of a rebate...or if they just ignore it and knowingly spew falsely that the state is just giving the Fish $60 million.

 

Anyhow, driving an hour to a game and an hour back once or twice a week shouldnt be a big deal. As much crap as I give Cardinals fans, and I heap it on o-plenty, they drive sometimes 2 hours there and 2 hours back multiple times a week.

 

The "well I dont want to drive an hour to a game and an hour back home" is nothing but a flimsy excuse and an easy out to why you dont attend games.

 

I agree. We have been making the hour plus drive a lot more than once or twice a week for years now. If it ever is built downtown we will most likely have to turn that into once or twice a week, but the alternative is just not acceptable. Most here (I think "most') remember when we didn't have MLB within an hours drive. I was one of the Dade resident bashers for them not going to games when they are 30 minutes or so from the stadium. Hearing all the excuses, and some were very, um, unique. But the best excuse I ever heard was from a regular here. People, and especially young people, want things NOW. That means things in their back yard. They shop within a couple miles from their home. Eat there, take in entertainment there, etc... To me it's still not a good excuse. But at least it's an honest one. Tis the nature of the beast, so to speak.

new ballpark will help miami area by having more job right now we short of job in miami area that help alot i notice alot you bashing new ball park are not from here i add that to sun-sentinel message forum

Their take - which aligns with academic studies done during the past four decades - is that sports stadiums for professional teams bring negligible economic benefit because the attendance base is the local area.

 

For some reason I even doubt Miami would still even be the attendence base. Theyd bring thousands of fans from the northern countys, maybe the number of fans taken away from not wanting to make the extra long drive south would be cancelled out by fans seeking a beautiful rain free facility.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.