Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins' pitch for stadium cash apt to fall short

Featured Replies

Bob, we're almost always on the same page but when you said above "...I see nothing negative coming from either county for the team to stay. Just concern about it being accesable to the tri county residents. Broward and Palm Beach don't want to make it the Miami Marlins..."

 

It should be accessible to the tri-county residents because they've contributed so much financially to keeping the team inS outh Florida? They've contributed so much towards the construction of a new stadium? They don't want the team named the Miami Marlins because????.

 

The northern counties could get in step with the Miami delegation. They could be twisting arms in Tallahassee for the proposals instead of trying to kill them, they could have done so many things to have been participants in the process instead of roadblocks and naysayers. As SoFlaFish points out just read the PBP and Sun-Sent blogs and comments to see what the residents feel about the subject.

 

You're a nice guy but you are defending the indefensible.

 

None of the above about contributions. The place will get built by who ever contributes the $$$. I have no complaint about that. Nor am I blind to that. I've said it many times. But I have also said it should be built where it is accessable to the residents of the tri county area equally. I would think if the proposed site was heavily pushed for in Hialeah then we would see more support coming from the politicos in Broward and PBCs.

It's a touchy stance to take, I know. But it seems as if the delegation for the team is looking at it as Dade County vs Broward/PBC (and the rest of the world to some degree) and saying that Dade is the place they want to target as the fan base. Big mistake, IMO. They should be looking at the tri county area as the fan base. Because at present, it is. If you look at the estimated numbers and seperate Dade from Broward/PBC then the numbers would say build it in Broward. Even if you took Sean Flynn's wild and inappropriate guess from October of 2003, which some seem to take as The Word, then the same rings true. But Broward isn't willing to fess up with the bucks. Neither is PBC, even tho no legitimate site has ever been proposed (and I would be against that BTW). Dade is. Hialeah is in Dade. But MLB wants a downtown shoe box that will severly limit the accessability for Broward fans and even more so for PBC fans. Orange bowl has more room but is even more limited-ish (sorry about making up that word).

In a perfect world the 3 counties would be working together for a site that is best for the 3 counties. We would be in this together and fighting for what is best for the three of us as one. Just about everyone I have talked to in PBC says that whatever it takes to keep the team here is going to have to be fine. The few I know from Broward say the same thing. We, as fans, are looking at it in the long run. The politicos look at it one term to the next, hear the malcontent about the present situation, see the attendance, and will cast their votes accordingly, conveniently forgetting the time limits we have thrust against us with the current lease.

Is that a little clearer? Or did I just fog up my perspective of it even more?

Did it just become San Francisco in here? I haven't seen fog this thick since Adrienne Barbeau was the hottest thing going (I knew that BroncoBob, Marlins2003, and myself would probably be the only ones old enough to get that joke) :D

 

Here's my two cents on this, which I've referred to in another post, but "Cut&PasteFish" wanted it somewhere else. Unfortunately in this situation, we live in a region that is still too parochial to allow for regional planning and cooperation. I think in time you'll see that wane, somewhat (SFRTA is the first example of regional planning). However, I'm not so sure that a Regional Stadium Authority would ever really work. Think about the creation of one governing/funding body that would be responsible for Dolphin Stadium, American Airlines Arena, Bank Atlantic Center, Roger Dean Stadium, and the Orange Bowl? Interesting, eh? But I think it's going to take a legislative act to create such a multijurisdictional entity. So, for the time being we have what we have.

 

Location and feasibility are two different aspects. Yes, in an ideal world the baseball stadium should be placed in a location that is easily accessible for all residents of South Florida. If you look at it in a geographical sense, the answer would probably lie in an area between Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood Int'l Airport and Dolphin Stadium. But, having spoken with Broward County Commissioners Ilene Lieberman and Lori Parrish (back when she was a commissioner, not the current Property Appraiser) in the past, they were adamant that not a single penny of Broward County money was going to go to build a facility in Broward County. They were still licking their wounds from the whole "Rent-A-Center" fiasco. So, with that you can pretty much rule out any Broward CDT funds. Up here in Palm Beach County, the county government doesn't have any interest, nor have they raised any interest, in using County funds for a ballpark. If there is to be any County funds to be used for any facilities down here, I will know as I am Co-Chair of the Facilities Committee of the Palm Beach County Sports Commission. There is a better chance of having a second Spring Training facility constructed in Palm Beach County, than of any County monies being used for a Marlins ballpark, since a Spring Training facility actually does generate sales tax revenue that would not have been generated had it not been for the park because the majority of Spring Training attendees actually come from out of state. Finally, Commissioner "Mike" Ferguson's "pipe dream" of building a Marlins park at Quantum Park in Boynton Beach was just that, a "pipe dream". In my course of dealings, I really never considered Ferguson seriously (and Marlins2003 knows what my "course of dealings" are, so he can attest to that!)

 

So that leaves us with the only local government that has ponied up the "dough": Miami-Dade County. The City of Miami is in this because they have the land. With land being "donated" by the City (without the need for condemnation or eminent domain proceedings that would last for years and cost mondo-bucks!) at either Government Center or the Orange Bowl, the costs are minimized. Hialeah, remember, will involve a complicated land-swap that will result in a potential increase in costs, and the City of Hialeah has already said that no City tax dollars will be given to the project. So, in the end, the financing trumps the location.

 

Look, I live in Western Lake Worth, but I will not be the first to complain about a park in downtown Miami. Maybe it's because I was born and raised in Miami and lived there until I left for college 17 years ago. I still routinely visit as my family still lives down there. Maybe I don't mind a park downtown because I'm not "afraid" of downtown Miami. I don't subscribe to the irrational fears that are posted on other message boards in South Florida. Most of you do know that I am Latino. Every time I hear someone mention Miami-Dade as a "Banana Republic" it really offends me. That term can be considered the equal of "nappy headed hos" or other derogatory statements. I have a degree in History with a concentration in Latin American history and know that the origin of "Banana Republic" comes from the U.S. domination of poorer Central American countries through corporations, namely United Fruit, who would basically create their own serfdoms in these countries at the expense of the indigenous populations. There is a lot of "blood" associated with that term and it's use to describe Miami-Dade County is downright insulting, if not racist (it speaks to the superiority of the "white" man over the "brown" peoples). These are actual examples of postings out there:

 

/S/ A BASEBALL FAN.

 

By FLORIDA Marlins-NOT MIAMI

 

Apr 23, 2007 12:46 AM | Link to this

 

THe Marlins will never fill a stadium as long as they remain so far from where the money is.

 

The money is in Palm Beach COunty. NOT Hialeah..please! Hialeah residents would rather watch or play soccer.

 

Attention Marlins owners: About your team-Move it or Lose IT!

 

PDG

West Palm Beach, FL #46 Mar 15, 2007

Building a park in dumps of Miami will not see a ticket sale from me.

 

Foul Ball

Boca Raton, FL #71 Mar 15, 2007

Who needs a ball park buried in Miami. No one in Broward or Palm Beach County will make that trip very often, if at all.

 

I don't want my tax dollars going down that rat hole. Let them leave. Florida will be no worse off without them.

 

glnae

Hollywood, FL #95 Mar 15, 2007

 

We are not lazy we just choose not to go into the '3rd world country' of Miami to watch a loser team that cares nothing about the fans and threatens to move elsewhere for every petty thing. The tickets cost far too much for an average family of four. The owners of this team get enough personal tax breaks without getting anymore via business tax breaks. What will they threaten to move for next year? Will it be because of lack of fan support or no one to buy them new team uniforms? Please...This team is poorly managed doesn't perform well and who cares if they go elsewhere ... maybe 23% of the people living in Florida would care. Majority should rule and this team should not get the stadium.

 

But back on point, would I rather a park be built up here in Palm Beach County? YES! Hell, build the damn thing right here in downtown West Palm Beach so that I can just walk over there after work. But that is selfish of me, and that is what the majority of the sentiment on stadium location is based on, selfishness, not rational thought.

 

The Heat play in downtown Miami and always have. Do Broward and Palm Beach Heat fans bellyache about the location when it comes time to getting playoff tickets? NO! Do the Heat suffer from attendance because the arena is downtown? NO! Then why will the Marlins suffer from this fate because those in Broward and Palm Beach say that they will not come? The Marlins will probably average between 25,000 to 27,000 a night in a downtown park, which would put them in the middle of the pack with teams like Atlanta, Toronto, ChiSox, Minnesota, and Oakland. Compare it to the Heat, who have a much more expensive product, but a 20,000+ seating arena. They average 19,725 a night. If the Marlins, with a cheaper product and more dates would probably be able to equal those numbers. Before ya'll jump on me by saying, "Yeah, but the Heat are a Championship Team!", in 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 (lean Heat years) the team was averaging 15,000 a night for a product that is still much more expensive! I don't believe location is an issue for the Heat, so it shouldn't be an issue for a Marlins team that will have a cloud of "geographic uncertainty" removed with a new downtown ballpark.

 

I've now rambled on this issue long enough.

thank SoFlaFish, some of those comments are sickening

Gotta love Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

 

So liberal, yet such a lack of tolerance.

 

It is sickening to the point you wished they would shut up and go away.

I dont buy the argument that the stadium should be built anywhere near broward or palm beach. Dolphin Stadium is accessible to everyone yet no one goes. If the other counties arent going to contribute then they really have no say, nor does miami-dade have any reason to make it accessible to fans from those counties. Once the stadium (hopefully) gets built in downtown, we'll have fans from broward and palm beach crying for a little while, then they just drive alittle farther if they want to see games. In the end the marlins are better off with a stadium in downtown miami than one near dolphins stadium.

 

thank SoFlaFish, some of those comments are sickening

Gotta love Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

 

So liberal, yet such a lack of tolerance.

 

It is sickening to the point you wished they would shut up and go away.

 

 

Has anyone meet anyone from palm beach who isnt older than 60?

Gotta love Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

 

So liberal, yet such a lack of tolerance.

 

It is sickening to the point you wished they would shut up and go away.

 

From my experience, those that make the comments of Miami-Dade as a "third world country" are not the "liberal Broward Democrats" you seem to allude or insinuate to. Those are the folks that I would categorize as either "displaced low to lower-middle income whites" who came up from Miami-Dade during the "White Flight" of the 1970s and 1980s, and I would bet to you that 2 times out of 10 that they actually VOTE, they vote Republican, because the Democratic party is the party of f*gs, n****rs, and sp**s.

 

Those folks in the pickup trucks with Confederate battle flags DO NOT vote Democratic. Yes, there is a paradox in Broward, but I wouldn't say that those "liberals" are the ones perpetrating the hate. It's just the last vestiges of "rednecks" that remain down here who do so. That's why it's not surprising to see that Broward County leads the state in hate crimes.

thank SoFlaFish, some of those comments are sickening

Gotta love Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

 

So liberal, yet such a lack of tolerance.

 

It is sickening to the point you wished they would shut up and go away.

 

Actually that is typical liberal polictics. I love everyone, but I do not want them in my neighborhood, nor will I ever go to their neighborhood. :rolleyes:

Gotta love Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

 

So liberal, yet such a lack of tolerance.

 

It is sickening to the point you wished they would shut up and go away.

 

From my experience, those that make the comments of Miami-Dade as a "third world country" are not the "liberal Broward Democrats" you seem to allude or insinuate to. Those are the folks that I would categorize as either "displaced low to lower-middle income whites" who came up from Miami-Dade during the "White Flight" of the 1970s and 1980s, and I would bet to you that 2 times out of 10 that they actually VOTE, they vote Republican, because the Democratic party is the party of f*gs, n****rs, and sp**s.

 

Those folks in the pickup trucks with Confederate battle flags DO NOT vote Democratic. Yes, there is a paradox in Broward, but I wouldn't say that those "liberals" are the ones perpetrating the hate. It's just the last vestiges of "rednecks" that remain down here who do so. That's why it's not surprising to see that Broward County leads the state in hate crimes.

 

 

In response from the other side of the aisle, Democrats love these kinds of stereotypes. They push so many buttons in so many people, the yahoo gun-toting, beer drinking, redneck, confederate flad waving (read, racist) Republican. It's funny because when it suits the Democrat's purposes they have a completely different description of Republicans as the mega-rich, the entitled, the social snobs, the under-taxed.

 

I say, you can't have it both ways.

 

If you read through the volumes of anti-marlins posts from Broward and PBC you'll see a couple of common threads. One is "not my tax dollars for (ugh) baseball", in same way that the folks who brought Miami-Dade the Performing Arts Center debacle look down their collective noses at our game, inferring "their" tax dollars shouldn't be used for something as lowly as MLB. My suspicion is that crowd is much more Democratic leaning than Republican.

 

The other is social warfare so often waged by the Democrats, the party of devisiveness and name-calling. That's what I hear when I read alot of this trash. The elitism and the we're better than you and we know better than you-isms practiced by Democrats in general. Democrats know better where to apend tax money and it isn't on baseball, you know that place where you'll find all those pickup truck drivin', beer drinkin', good ole boys who go to ballgames.

 

SoFlaFish, your turn :D

It is normally Democrats who are against publicly funded stadiums. The typical argument is it does not benefit the community as a whole becuase the needy can not afford tickets to the games. Also, the Republicans usually promote new stadiums and sports franchises because it brings in TV revenue to the city, encourages big corporations to spend high $$$ on luxury seats, and it gets the city more media exposure. At least that's how it is in Duval when it comes to the Jags. Oh and BTW, I do drive a pick-up, drink beer, and yes I pay to attend games. :cool

 

Another issue that y'all have down there though when it comes to getting a stadium built is the snowbird resistance. Many of those snowbirds might lean Republican and would normally be in line with the stadium for reasons I mentione din my prior post; however, because they are out of Florida during baseball season, they don't see a personal benefit to keeping the team there. When they are back in NY/NJ/PA, they can always see their Yanks/Mets/Phils play. :mad

In response from the other side of the aisle, Democrats love these kinds of stereotypes. They push so many buttons in so many people, the yahoo gun-toting, beer drinking, redneck, confederate flad waving (read, racist) Republican. It's funny because when it suits the Democrat's purposes they have a completely different description of Republicans as the mega-rich, the entitled, the social snobs, the under-taxed.

 

I say, you can't have it both ways.

 

Ah, yes, you CAN have it both ways. You should read Thomas Frank's book What's The Matter With Kansas? which details the strange alliance between the big corporate business wing of the Republican Party and the rural, Christian Conservative wing of the party. It is a fascinating story of how a group of individuals (in this case Kansans) would align themselves with a Party and political movement that consistently pushes measures that are contrary to their economic interests. One of the things that still sticks in me from that book was the rural Kansas resident that voted for George W. Bush because "he was going to stick it to those Wall Street guys!" HUH?!?! Think about it!

 

Now, your point is accurate in that most of the NAYSAYERS in this "stadium battle" basically fall in the NIMBY crowd. They rattle off on how "I don't want my tax dollars to support . . . ." but don't actually take the time to think out their statements. Once you give up your "tax dollars" you don't have a say where they're applied to.

 

I wouldn't say that the "don't use my tax dollars" crowd is mostly Democratic, since it is Republicans who stand by the notion that NO TAX MONEY should be used for any type of municipal projects. In the end, most of the NAYSAYERS use typical knee-jerk responses that they've heard from somewhere else. They don't think about the fact that CDT dollars are dedicated to a specific use. To them, they think that tax money should be used for school, roads, etc., as if those entities don't have funding right now. I think our schools would be in better shape if they wisely used the money they had, just a reallocation of capital and less waste. However, I do believe we have a shortfall in infrastructure spending that will come back and bite us soon.

 

You can't get off scot-free calling the Democrats the party of name calling when all you hear from the "right wing blow hards" on the radio is "name calling." C'mon, you've got to be serious here? You can't go ten minutes listening to Bill O'Reilly, Michael Savage, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, and Ann Coulter without one of them using some derisive name. Geez, upon Bill Clinton getting elected in 1992, Rush Limbaugh started all of his shows with "Day ___ of America Under Seige!" Like that doesn't cause divisiveness in this country!

 

Okay, I've now returned your volley. I hope you see that I haven't engaged in any name calling you Right Wing Freak :p

The right-wing rants on this blog are beyond the pale. First Marlins2003 brings out the standard right-wing talking point "the party of name-calling" what a crock. I think you're still angry because the Marlins and MLB realized Hialeah is a complete and utter dump and nobody in their right mind wanted to put a stadium there, knowing that no sane person would ever set foot in that hole.

 

Can't have it both ways? How about you criticizing Democrats for supporting social welfare and then calling them elitists (a name-call, by definition). It's elitist to try to help people? My idea of elitism is someone who thinks he's too good to help someone else. Like the Republican Congress that for 12 years didn't do one single thing to help 40 million uninsured. They sure helped out Hialeah!

 

And Real Teal, I was reading your post and trying to find one thing that was factually correct, but I simply couldn't. Pretty impressive. Democrats are more likely to oppose public funding of stadiums? Are you kidding me? Public funding for stadiums is most loudly opposed by right-wing economists who hate any subsidizing by governments. Anyone who pays the least amount of attention to the process knows that. Look at DC. Their city council has to be the most Democratic on the planet, and they supported $611 million in financing (ok barely, but they supported it) for their ballpark. The main reason there was a big fight in DC was because all the right-wing economists released ridiculously flawed studies claiming that there would be no tax benefit to the city because baseball only diverts people from movie theaters, an insane proposition given that 80% of the fans come from outside the city, and most people go to movies in their own locale.

The right-wing rants on this blog are beyond the pale. First Marlins2003 brings out the standard right-wing talking point "the party of name-calling" what a crock. I think you're still angry because the Marlins and MLB realized Hialeah is a complete and utter dump and nobody in their right mind wanted to put a stadium there, knowing that no sane person would ever set foot in that hole.

 

I would have supported your response to Marlins2003, except for the way you opened it. There is no rational basis for using the terms "dump" and "hole." That just killed whatever semblance of credibility you had. You singlehandedly aligned yourself with the "naysayers" when you were trying to oppose them. Bravo! Bravo!!

 

Why would Hialeah be a "dump" and a "hole"? Give me your honest answer, buddy. I was born, raised, and educated in Hialeah as were some of my best friends who are leading attorneys and doctors in South Florida. So, please, tell me how and why my hometown (I was born in Hialeah Hospital) is a dump and hole? And then, carry that a bit further and explain to me exactly how the proposed Hialeah Heights location is exactly a "dump" and a "hole"? I've opposed the Hialeah Heights site for reasons that are purely objective (economics, future development, distance from employment centers), but your reasons appear to stem from some dislike or hatred since it was your terms "complete and utter dump" and "no sane person would ever set foot in that hole."

 

Begin your answer . . . . NOW

The right-wing rants on this blog are beyond the pale. First Marlins2003 brings out the standard right-wing talking point "the party of name-calling" what a crock. I think you're still angry because the Marlins and MLB realized Hialeah is a complete and utter dump and nobody in their right mind wanted to put a stadium there, knowing that no sane person would ever set foot in that hole.

 

Can't have it both ways? How about you criticizing Democrats for supporting social welfare and then calling them elitists (a name-call, by definition). It's elitist to try to help people? My idea of elitism is someone who thinks he's too good to help someone else. Like the Republican Congress that for 12 years didn't do one single thing to help 40 million uninsured. They sure helped out Hialeah!

 

And Real Teal, I was reading your post and trying to find one thing that was factually correct, but I simply couldn't. Pretty impressive. Democrats are more likely to oppose public funding of stadiums? Are you kidding me? Public funding for stadiums is most loudly opposed by right-wing economists who hate any subsidizing by governments. Anyone who pays the least amount of attention to the process knows that. Look at DC. Their city council has to be the most Democratic on the planet, and they supported $611 million in financing (ok barely, but they supported it) for their ballpark. The main reason there was a big fight in DC was because all the right-wing economists released ridiculously flawed studies claiming that there would be no tax benefit to the city because baseball only diverts people from movie theaters, an insane proposition given that 80% of the fans come from outside the city, and most people go to movies in their own locale.

 

I guess you proved 2003 point . . .

The right-wing rants on this blog are beyond the pale. First Marlins2003 brings out the standard right-wing talking point "the party of name-calling" what a crock. I think you're still angry because the Marlins and MLB realized Hialeah is a complete and utter dump and nobody in their right mind wanted to put a stadium there, knowing that no sane person would ever set foot in that hole...

 

What you don't understand is that SoFlaFish and I are good friends, taking a little, friendly poke at each other.

At this point I feel like I can't add anything to the discussion without offending someone inadvertantly. How in the world did this thread devolve from a discussion on what's going on in the legislature into a political and geographical us against them diatribe. Enough. I don't think this belongs on this part of the site. Go talk about in the outfield.

Honestly, I think we've got bigger fish to fry anyway in order to get a final agreement. It sure would be nice to have the state cooperate and be a part of the process. It shows good faith. But Primenito is right. The 30 Million from the state is peanuts. About all it does is show good faith. Surely that 30 Million can't be the straw that dooms any deal. Surely, if the state coughs up the bit yet again, then somehow the 30 Million can be found between MLB, Marlins, city, county. I think the biggest obstacle we face, with or without the state tax rebate, is dealing with the crooked politicos in Dade. Mainly Republican. Just sayin'.

Gotta love Broward and Palm Beach Counties.

 

So liberal, yet such a lack of tolerance.

 

It is sickening to the point you wished they would shut up and go away.

 

From my experience, those that make the comments of Miami-Dade as a "third world country" are not the "liberal Broward Democrats" you seem to allude or insinuate to. Those are the folks that I would categorize as either "displaced low to lower-middle income whites" who came up from Miami-Dade during the "White Flight" of the 1970s and 1980s, and I would bet to you that 2 times out of 10 that they actually VOTE, they vote Republican, because the Democratic party is the party of f*gs, n****rs, and sp**s.

 

Those folks in the pickup trucks with Confederate battle flags DO NOT vote Democratic. Yes, there is a paradox in Broward, but I wouldn't say that those "liberals" are the ones perpetrating the hate. It's just the last vestiges of "rednecks" that remain down here who do so. That's why it's not surprising to see that Broward County leads the state in hate crimes.

I wasn't trying to offend those who live in Broward or Palm Beach. Nor was I trying to oversimplify the way each individual in those counties may feel. I understand your redneck argument, but I lived with them in Broward and their voice is non-existant politically. (US 27 and Pines Blvd. has a huge community of "rednecks" within 5 minutes drive to Griffin or into the trailer park right there off 27.)

 

My issue is that, as someone who has lived in 5 out of Florida's 67 fine counties (Miami-Dade/Monroe/Broward/Lee/Leon), I find the attitude of those in power in Broward County towards those from outside the county or the in-county minorities to be totally intolerant. The county's leaders are mostly white, liberal Democrats in a county with a large and vibrant black population. Why is it that Broward County, supposedly so progressive politically, is so backwards culturally? Your hate crime number suggests this paradox.

 

Most of the Sun-Sentinel articles on the Marlins stadium issue have many comments made on them online and they are mostly the same thing from different people. It is insulting to those who are from Miami-Dade County, Broward County, or any other part of this fine state. It makes the posters look weak, bigoted, and mean....which they may or may not be....but that is all we seem to hear from the powers in Broward. Why is it no voices of moderation and friendliness ever seem to come from Broward's political ranks?

 

Just for once, why can't Broward County stop being the selfish, complaintful middle child? Palm Beachers don't bitch nearly as much and they have more reason to than Broward citizens.

 

At this point I feel like I can't add anything to the discussion without offending someone inadvertantly. How in the world did this thread devolve from a discussion on what's going on in the legislature into a political and geographical us against them diatribe. Enough. I don't think this belongs on this part of the site. Go talk about in the outfield.

Honestly, I think we've got bigger fish to fry anyway in order to get a final agreement. It sure would be nice to have the state cooperate and be a part of the process. It shows good faith. But Primenito is right. The 30 Million from the state is peanuts. About all it does is show good faith. Surely that 30 Million can't be the straw that dooms any deal. Surely, if the state coughs up the bit yet again, then somehow the 30 Million can be found between MLB, Marlins, city, county. I think the biggest obstacle we face, with or without the state tax rebate, is dealing with the crooked politicos in Dade. Mainly Republican. Just sayin'.

Deep wounds take forever to heal. Even the best of neighbors can bicker from time-to-time.

 

BTW, I apologized if I offended anyone. Politics can frustrate me sometimes. :D

I think the biggest obstacle we face, with or without the state tax rebate, is dealing with the crooked politicos in Dade. Mainly Republican. Just sayin'.

I don't think that's correct. I'd bet the majority or at least half of the county and city (Miami) commissioners are Democrats. I'm pretty sure Alvarez is a Republican but I think Diaz has been a Democrat, a Republican and an Independent at various times so who knows what he is. Many people think Miami-Dade is a Republican stronghold but it's not. If I remember correctly Kerry beat Bush in Miami-Dade.

Miami-Dade County sways politically because it has so many people with so many different backgrounds.

 

The county is more old style Southern Democrat than either conservative or liberal though. Think Bob Graham rather than Jeb Bush or Lawton Chiles. There are more Democrats than Republicans in MDC, but the Democrats cross-over more frequently to Republicans than vice versa.

  • Author

I rarely get political on this forum but I am going to chime in for this instance. You see, I can understand why there is some confusion as to whether to call opposition to public financing (which is different to funding...yeah, semantics and all) of sports facilities construction according to the traditional political orientation. I think that the issue of public financing (or funding) of stadia is one of the few political issues where the division is NOT along straight party or ideological lines. This actually reminds me of those debates dealing with trade until very recently. The divergence is one where local district interests matter much more than party or group interests.

 

Supporters and opponents can be found at all sides of the spectrum. Perhaps at the most hardcore of the ideologies are where you'd find the most opposition, mostly due to the perception by the same individuals of the government being too intertwined with special interests, be they sports leagues, construction unions, financial institutions, bond traders, etc.. As you move towards the center that's where you'd find degrees of support (or lack of immediate dismissal, however you want to call it), depending on the region. For example, you had degrees of support in cities such as liberal Detroit and conservative San Diego. But you also had intense opposition in both cities as well.

 

Also, the bigger the city, the greater is the resistance to public monies going to sports facilities construction. For example, Los Angeles is very resistant to this practice. What usually happens is that private sector monies are used in lieu of public dollars. The Staples Center was built primarily with funds from private investors. Same with Dodger Stadium.

 

Finally, save for spring training in February and March, Florida is a football state, well ahead of every other sport.

The Marlins bills are moving forward in the House. Tomorrow HB323 should be voted on.

 

Seems like it may pass the House and go into the Senate where Villalobos is whipping folks into place for it to pass.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.