Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Well, we know Sergio owns the FSL

Featured Replies

0 K, eww

He's scheduled to start Saturday against the Braves....so Field will go down for Nolasco today. Im guessing Obermueller moves to the bullpen until Saturday and then gets waived or optioned to AAA for Mitre. Gardner would also be a candidate to go down for Mitre and I believe he has options.

He's scheduled to start Saturday against the Braves....so Field will go down for Nolasco today. Im guessing Obermueller moves to the bullpen until Saturday and then gets waived or optioned to AAA for Mitre. Gardner would also be a candidate to go down for Mitre and I believe he has options.

 

I don't think you mean "waived" because not a chance at minimum wage Obermueller gets through waivers. I don't know, do you, does he have options left?

  • Author

I'm pretty sure Wes would be out of options.... then again, I thought the same about Gardner... soooo

I'm pretty sure Wes would be out of options.... then again, I thought the same about Gardner... soooo

 

 

Ocassionally, I think there's a good website idea there, ala Cot's and baseball contracts, covering eligibility and things like options on ballplayers for all of professional sports.

He's scheduled to start Saturday against the Braves....so Field will go down for Nolasco today. Im guessing Obermueller moves to the bullpen until Saturday and then gets waived or optioned to AAA for Mitre. Gardner would also be a candidate to go down for Mitre and I believe he has options.

 

I don't think you mean "waived" because not a chance at minimum wage Obermueller gets through waivers. I don't know, do you, does he have options left?

no, but if he doesnt have any there's a good chance we will waive him....nifty start and all. Not sure if Gardner has any options remaining but we could save Obermueller (for the bullpen) until Julio comes back I guess

  • Author

He's scheduled to start Saturday against the Braves....so Field will go down for Nolasco today. Im guessing Obermueller moves to the bullpen until Saturday and then gets waived or optioned to AAA for Mitre. Gardner would also be a candidate to go down for Mitre and I believe he has options.

 

I don't think you mean "waived" because not a chance at minimum wage Obermueller gets through waivers. I don't know, do you, does he have options left?

no, but if he doesnt have any there's a good chance we will waive him....nifty start and all. Not sure if Gardner has any options remaining but we could save Obermueller (for the bullpen) until Julio comes back I guess

Gardner still has options

  • Author

Just so I know, options are a yearly thing, not per option right?

correct

  • Author

Am I the only one who prefers to keep Obermueller in the rotation over Mitre?

lol

Am I the only one who prefers to keep Obermueller in the rotation over Mitre?

lol

 

Dont really get whats so funny about that Ramp.

 

Obermueller has the same # of wins as a starter as Mitre does in 8 fewer starts. Obermueller has a better ERA and much much much better WHIP. Obermueller has a quality start, Mitre doesnt.

 

Once again, whats so funny? Neither pitcher really gives us a chance to win, but IMO Obermueller has been better so far this year than Mitre.

I can't believe I'm somewhat agreeing with spike.. but come on, hes a hawk :mischief

 

Don't we have the highest starters ERA in the NL? I could think of worse things than giving a guy who was 1 out away from giving us two straight quality starts a few more. Lets not kid ourselves here, I like mitre but his career was headed the similar direction as Wes until he got another chance here.

 

I don't know about automatically giving Wes a rotation spot but i really hope we dont lose him because he's out of options. I like Mitre, I think he can be a good starter for us. I think putting Gardner back in AAA and using Wes for long relief, and keeping that SP insurance around would be the smartest thing to do.... if Nolasco/Mitre falters or if we suffer, god forbid, another injury in the rotation, we'd need him to be available.

Nothing in Mitres career, including his time here(ERA and WHIP of close to 6 and close to 2 as a Marlins starter, respectively) indicates he will ever have anything but sporadic success surrounded heavily by intense mediocrity.

 

Obermueller has had a hot hand since coming to the rotation, and been better than Mitre has been this year.

 

Mitre coming back and being handed a rotation spot over a pitcher who has been BETTER is lunacy.

It has a lot to do with many things. A young pitcher has an upward trajectory, meaning he will improve as time goes on. I happen to think that Sergio has the stuff to be a decent 3rd or 4th starter in the next couple of years. Obie will never be more than a 5th starter at best. He's shown his ceiling, while Mitre has not.

I dont agree. I dont think either will ever be someone you want on the mound in this league.

 

We also have so many prospects coming up, Mitre isnt long for this rotation. He gone when JJ comes back anyway, Obermueller is hot right now, leave him in there.

As much as we know Spike has never been a Mitre fan, I have to agree with him. Riding Wes whilst he is hot is probably the best idea. Mitre has the 'stuff' to be a decent 3/4 starter, but the fact is his performances at the major league level have been poor, and though wins are generally not a great indicator of how good a pitcher is, I think in this case it shows the guy just doesn't win a lot, that and being guilty of the gopher ball.

Do any of you seriously think Obermueller can pitch this way for an extended period of time? I mean, Mitre has definitely struggled in the majors and I don't know that he'll ever turn the corner, but Obermueller has an even longer record of mediocrity, both in the majors and minors.

 

By the way, all 18 outs Sergio recorded were on groundballs. Not sure I've ever seen that in a box score before. Wish he could do it in the bigs.

  • Author

fun with numbers, brought to you by Hammer Time©:

 

Sergio Mitre as a starter, and not including his 1 terrible outing vs St Louis.

 

42ip 44h 18er 15bb 32k 3.85era

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.