Arrested Development

Lefty

"It was Arrested Development."

:crying

Oh well, no one's ever made money overestimating the intelligence of the American population.

The Showtime offer is on the table for 2 more seasons with a 3rd season option, but if this is the end, it was a great one.

And thus ends our quality programming interruption, we now return you to your regularly scheduled garbage.

They played it like it was over and yet introduced a ton of stuff that they could continue off of.

Well played I thought.

We'll see what Mitch Hurwitz wants to do, he has until June 15 to make his decision. The entire cast is under contract.

Portia de Rossi is hawt.

They played it like it was over and yet introduced a ton of stuff that they could continue off of.

Well played I thought.

We'll see what Mitch Hurwitz wants to do, he has until June 15 to make his decision. The entire cast is under contract.

they need to put this on dvd asap.

and then hurwitz needs to sign with showtime damnit.

It sounds like the Showtime thing is somewhat unlikely. Hurwitz is understandably reluctant to pour more of his life and soul into this project.

I would put it at 50/50 at this point. I like the fact that it's in his hands and he isn't making the decision right away. I'm sure he's kinda burnt out and frustrated, but I think there's a decent chance he'll be rearing to go in 2 months, especially since we're talking 12 episode seasons, not 20. The real issue is what kind of budget Showtime is going to give it because ratings there won't be a problem. Arrested's fanbase is small, yes, but it's loyal, it draws the 2.5 million base no matter what they seem to put it against, no matter how they advertise it, etc. Most industry people think this show should have been on cable to begin with and will be a cable hit. They only need to bring about 60-65% of that 2.5 million with them to make that the case. He has the 1 year, 13-episode offer from ABC on Thursday nights, bigger budget, but then he still has to worry about ratings.

I'm just glad the 4 shows last night were so good. It's put it in a place where if this is the end, I'm content with it. Obviously, I'd love to see more episodes, but if it's over, they ended it very well.

They opened a ton of potential new storylines in the final hour though, so who knows what could happen. I have a feeling we won't know for a while.

If I were to guess, I would say as long as Showtime gives him a budget that allows him to make the kind of shows he wants to make, he's going to end up taking it. But Arrested is one of the most expensive shows in all of television, so there's no guarantee.

10 minutes left in this lifeless show!

I will laugh my ass off tomorrow morning when WWE Smackdown beats in total viewers.

This post proves all that is wrong with TV (and TV viewers) these days. :banghead

Networks don't give quality shows the chance to find an audience any more. Look at Love Monkey on CBS. It got all of 3 episodes. It's a shame. If Seinfeld or Cheers were to debut these days, they would have been pulled after a week or two. Both were near or at the bottom of the ratings in their first season.

As for AD, if it was the end, it was a great way for a brilliant comedy to go out. 4 great episodes...too bad very few people saw it.

I will laugh my ass off tomorrow morning when WWE Smackdown beats in total viewers.

This post proves all that is wrong with TV (and TV viewers) these days. :banghead

Networks don't give quality shows the chance to find an audience any more. Look at Love Monkey on CBS. It got all of 3 episodes. It's a shame. If Seinfeld or Cheers were to debut these days, they would have been pulled after a week or two. Both were near or at the bottom of the ratings in their first season.

As for AD, if it was the end, it was a great way for a brilliant comedy to go out. 4 great episodes...too bad very few people saw it.

You can't compare AD which has completed 3 seasons and Love Monkey which ended its run at 3 episodes. AD had its chance and it didn't deliver. Only reason it lasted this long was because of critically acclaimed and award winning show.

You can't compare AD which has completed 3 seasons and Love Monkey which ended its run at 3 episodes. AD had its chance and it didn't deliver. Only reason it lasted this long was because of critically acclaimed and award winning show.

The fans of the show would beg to differ. What aspect did it not deliver? Because people didn't catch on?

I would equate Arrested failing like the Simpsons not getting off the mark. The writing on the show is on that level.

Oh,w ell, it doesn't matter anyways. I own all the DVD's.

The fans of the show would beg to differ. What aspect did it not deliver? Because people didn't catch on?

I would equate Arrested failing like the Simpsons not getting off the mark. The writing on the show is on that level.

In no way did I mean the writting/acting didn't deliver.

But the fact that 4.12 million viewers watched the show this season was kind of sad.

In no way did I mean the writting/acting didn't deliver.

But the fact that 4.12 million viewers watched the show this season was kind of sad.

That's not a statement on the show itself. That's a statement that's more telling about FOX and people to catch onto the the speed of a show like Arrested.

Ratings and sales may be an indication of the success of an entertainment product, but they are certainly not the indication of the quality.

Unless, you also think Britney Spears is a very talented and fine musical performer.

I will obviously admit Arrested's ratings are a joke, but FOX has done nothing but mess with the show. They stopped advertising it after the first season. Number of advertisements for AD during the MLB Playoffs this year: 0. They simply didn't know how to market it, they never did. I'm not neccessarily saying anyone else would have, but the fact that there's another network and a cable station offering it deals despite its ratings say something about the show.

I'll take solace in the fact that The Office is becoming a hit.

I wasn't comparing the two shows, just saying that the networks don't give shows the time it takes to build up a following anymore. Love Monkey wasn't a great show, but it was probably better than 75% of what is on tv. It deserves more than 3 episodes to get its ratings up. Yes, Arrested Development got 3 seasons, but it was three seasons of switching days and times, long breaks between new episodes, shortening show orders from 22 to 13, and little to no marketing. It's hard to build week-to-week viewership when a show is A) always on at different times and B)only shown 3 or 4 weeks apart. You would think that Fox would have learned their lesson from Family Guy...

Like someone said, I don't think Hurwitz would go for ABC's offer- With the word being him debating on what offer to accept based on being stressed a lot of the time, no way would he go back into the fray of network TV and have another FOX situation again. Unless they put A.D. after Desperate Housewives. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.