Lakers-Pacers trade talk

Flying_Mollusk

Lakers-Pacers talks stallL.A. doesn't want to give up Odom and Bynum in a deal for Jermaine O'Neal

Where's Jermaine O'Neal? Still a member of the Indiana Pacers.

The Lakers and Pacers have stalled on trade talks involving the six-time All-Star forward-center because the Lakers do not want to give up both Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom in a swap for O'Neal and power forward Troy Murphy, a source said. The Lakers would also include Kwame Brown in the trade.

O'Neal, 28, is consistently among the league leaders in points, rebounds and blocked shots. He averaged 19.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.6 blocked shots last season, the continuation of a career that has been on a solid track since he was traded from Portland to the Pacers in 2000.

Murphy, 27, has outside range and rebounds well, but is a subpar defender who would be included in a deal primarily as salary-cap ballast. The four years and $42.3 million he has left on his contract, coupled with the three years and $64.1 million left on O'Neal's contract, would practically guarantee that the Lakers would pay the luxury tax for years to come.

Numerous sources have said O'Neal wants to play in L.A., but the Lakers simply do not want to part with Odom and Bynum to make it work. Lakers officials declined to comment Thursday.

Odom, 27, averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season, one that started strongly for him before being interrupted by knee and shoulder injuries. He underwent surgery last month to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but is expected to return in time for training camp in October.

Of equal, if not greater, concern to the Lakers is the Pacers' desire for the 19-year-old Bynum.

He averaged 10.7 points, nine rebounds and 2.3 blocked shots in 15 games in January before slumping badly. Coach Phil Jackson criticized his work ethic, but the Lakers aren't necessarily ready to give up on the potential of the 10th pick in the 2005 draft.

Brown, 25, also underwent surgery last month, and will be out several months while recovering from a reconstructive operation on his left ankle. He has one year left on his contract at $9.1 million, which makes him appealing to teams hoping to trim payroll after next season.

Talks between the Pacers and Lakers could be jump-started again as the June 28 draft draws closer.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/n...1&cset=true

If I'm Indiana, I'm holding out for Odom and Bynum. LA isn't going to get another superstar without giving up Bynum and they really need Kobe to be patient if they don't want to give him up. Although for Indiana, the possibility of getting rid of Murphy's horrible contract has to be appealing.

I read online that the Lakers offered Kwame Brown for Marcus Camby straight up. I never laughed so hard in my life.

While I have no idea the validity of that rumor it's actually not that absurd.

Kwame is an expiring contract next year, Camby has more years left on his deal for similar money.

For a team that is still on the hook for Kenyon Martin and Nene for 3 more years and one of it's key players has very little time left in his prime, its not that bad of a thought.

Kidd on the Lakers last year they still lose to the Suns and have less of a future.

You seem to like Lamar Odom a lot more than I do.

I can see them winning a playoff series with O'Neal and the guy is still only 28 years old. As for adding something to Lamar and Kobe, the only chip you have is Bynum and the FO seems unwilling to trade him so once again it is back to square 1.

First of all, if we don't trade Butler for Brown this team's in alot better shape then it is right now. That's not the point here though.

Are we the 7 seed if we have Kidd though? Even if we are, our point guard play was horrible other then a quater from Farmar. Smush is trash, and Farmar isn't ready to be a major contributor, and who knows if he will ever be. Sure we don't have much of a future outside of a 3-5 year period, but when you have Kobe you don't worry about the future.

Odom absolutely tore up the Suns in Game 5 of the series on one arm and one leg. He was the best player on the floor in that game, including Kobe and Nash. He showed me a ton in that game. He does so much for the team. He's the 2nd best scorer, best rebounder, and best passer. I wouldn't trade him.

Kidd for Bynum makes the team better then J.O. for L.O. and Bynum does.

It sure sounds like Kobe is hell-bent on being traded anyway.

The more I thought about the future, the more I became convinced that the Lakers and me just have two different visions for the future. The Lakers are pursuing a longer-term plan that is different from what Dr. Buss shared with me at the time I re-signed as a free agent. I have seen that plan unfold for the last three years and watched great trade opportunities come and go, and have seen free agents passed on. That has led to the Lakers not winning a playoff series. All of that was frustrating in itself, but then, this week to have someone "inside" the Laker organization try to blame me in the media for us not being a contender right now -- that is what brought me to my current position today

Good luck getting O'Neal or trading Kobe before the draft next week guys.

Sorry, I'm a little spaced out right now that was just thoughts being typed (I'll await, 'lolz dat explains your posts', from someone soon ;) ) but there was a time reportedly when Boozer could have been a Laker.

Thats one of the trades Kobe is writing about when he talks about trades that could have happened.

Kobe is the best player in the league.. I have no problem saying that... and ive been listening to chicago talk radio a little tonight on the way home, and people are calling in the dozen saying theyd give hinrich and deng no problem... i just dont see that at all. I think the step the bulls are away from a championship appearnace isnt big at all... basically what im saying, im in the small group that hopes we keep this enitre core together, draft hawes and call it a day.

Kobe is the best player in the league.. I have no problem saying that... and ive been listening to chicago talk radio a little tonight on the way home, and people are calling in the dozen saying theyd give hinrich and deng no problem... i just dont see that at all. I think the step the bulls are away from a championship appearnace isnt big at all... basically what im saying, im in the small group that hopes we keep this enitre core together, draft hawes and call it a day.

The Lakers are in between a rock and a hard place. They really are in no position to demand any other team give them a ransom in return. They can't appease Kobe without giving up Bynum or Bynum and Odom. So if they don't do that, they can't expect to trade Kobe to a team he wants to go to and get the package they absolutely want.

They are also stuck because there are only three teams he wants to go to. The Suns are out because they are in the west and that would be a disaster. The Knicks are out because they really can't offer much.

The Bulls are in the driver's seat. Even if the Bulls wanted to give the Lakers Deng and Hinrich, Kobe probably doesn't want the team he is going to to be gutted for him. So the Bulls can offer the best that the Lakers can get and not gut their team.

Gordon, Thomas(or Wallace), and the #9. That seems to be the best the Lakers can do.

In the end, I think they appease Kobe and stop the rebuilding, then trade players that need to be traded to win now.

I'd do Gordon, Thomas, and the #9 without even thinking about it.

What F_M spells out about the Lakers situation is pretty much on point with my stance on their problem. Well put.

I think with Walton being a free agent, if the Bulls would sign and trade Nocioni then the deal would be closer.

Gordon

Thomas

Nocioni

Would be about as good as I could see the Lakers getting in a packae from anyone. The Bulls still have Hinrich, Deng, and Big Ben.

I'd do Gordon, Thomas, and the #9 without even thinking about it.

What F_M spells out about the Lakers situation is pretty much on point with my stance on their problem. Well put.

I think with Walton being a free agent, if the Bulls would sign and trade Nocioni then the deal would be closer.

Gordon

Thomas

Nocioni

Would be about as good as I could see the Lakers getting in a packae from anyone. The Bulls still have Hinrich, Deng, and Big Ben.

that would mean nocioni wants to goto los angeles.

i'm not sure thats a sure thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.