Hamilton, Ontario Preditors?

JetsMania

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Predators owner Craig Leipold has asked the NHL to hold off its consideration of a deal to sell the team to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie.

Leipold wants to have a binding agreement on the proposed $220 million sale with Balsillie, the co-CEO of Blackberry makers Research in Motion Ltd., before the league further considers the transaction.

"We did send the NHL a letter today requesting that it not do any further due diligence on Jim Balsillie's offer for the Nashville Predators until we reach a binding agreement," Leipold said in a statement Friday evening. "If Jim is interested in reaching a binding agreement, we are prepared to move forward."

Efforts to reach Balsillie on Friday night by e-mail and through his attorney were unsuccessful. A spokesman for the NHL, which held the first round of its draft Friday night, also didn't return a message seeking comment.

Leipold announced May 24 he was selling the team to Balsillie after losing $70 million over 10 years with the franchise and called for the deal to be finalized by June 30, though that deadline could be extended. Leipold and Balsillie have agreed to a term sheet for the transfer of ownership of the club, but that is nonbinding.

A lack of binding agreement prevented the NHL's board of governors from voting on the Predators sale on Wednesday, and the board isn't scheduled to meet again until the fall. Any deal likely won't be approved before next season.

Balsillie has already started a process to move the Predators to Hamilton, Ontario, should a potential out in the team's lease with the arena in Nashville be exercised after the sale's completion.

Balsillie withdrew a $175 million offer to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in December because the league did not want him to relocate the team. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman earlier this week called plans to relocate the Predators premature.

A local group reportedly has emerged to buy the Predators if Balsillie's bid falls through despite Leipold's inability to find a local minority investor.

Leipold has owned the team since paying most of the $80 million for the franchise awarded in June 1997, the first team of the NHL's last expansion phase. Leipold helped negotiate the NHL's new labor agreement, which features revenue sharing for small market teams.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were curious, the population is about 600,000. Hamilton is about 30 miles from buffalo and toronto.

However they would probably stay in the west. It would be tough to build a fan base if you are always playing the teams everyone is already a fan of (buffalo and toronto).

I'd certianly put a team in Winnipeg before having a 3rd team in Ontario.

Still, you can put a team in any fairly large Canadian city and be guarenteed success.

So what happened to Winnipeg and Quebec before? Phoenix and Denver replacing them hasn't sent any NHL execs crying.

I'd certianly put a team in Winnipeg before having a 3rd team in Ontario.

Still, you can put a team in any fairly large Canadian city and be guarenteed success.

This would be just like what happened with the devils back in the early 80's. The guy that bought the team was from NJ and decided that he wanted to move the team to his home state. The Rangers are only 8 miles from where the devils play their home games. The Islanders are just an hour away, and the flyers are within an hour for anyone in south jersey. However, its the owners team so he can put it where he wants. I think Winnipeg or Quebec would be fine choices because they are large cities. However with a population of 600,000 they shouldnt have a problem filling the place. They will also benefit from playing in the western conference. If they were in the east, then fans in buffalo and toronto would automatically hate hamilton. Fans in hamilton would be forced to chose, either remain a leafs fan or become a hamilton fan.

Guest Guest

Kind of sad that the Gaylord Center will be losing its biggest tenant.

Then again, I hate it when anything happens to Nashville. It truly is the greatest city on earth.

Kind of sad that the Gaylord Center will be losing its biggest tenant.

Then again, I hate it when anything happens to Nashville. It truly is the greatest city on earth.

I've never been extremely fond of Nashville myself, but I've spent an extended period of time there. Funny thing is, I was supposed to go to a wedding this weekend in Nashville but it coincided with a trip I have to France.

Guest Guest

Their AAA team will probably be moving as well. It will be the Titans and nothing else(although, Lipscomb, Tennessee State, and Vanderbilt are there with Austin Peay a click up I-24 and MTSU in Murfreesboro).

Its a beautiful city, 2nd avenue is probably my favorite party destination on Earth(more than Carbondale even)...it deserves better.

If Nashville was to move in 2008, I could see the Panthers possibly opening up a minor league club (AHL) of their own there. The fan base is there and the attendence is not worse than the Panthers attendence, so they could be a very successful AHL team. Personally, I'd move the team to Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec, or Portland/Seattle in that order. Winnipeg is a great hockey city that has a new arena and one of the better AHL teams and a lot of history. Hartford would need a new arena...anyone whose been to the Civic Center knows its not fit for NHL hockey. Plus the fans are still bitter about the Whalers. Quebec would be a perfect fit for a second French Canadian team and Portland/Seattle is an empty spot on the NHL map.

If Nashville was to move in 2008, I could see the Panthers possibly opening up a minor league club (AHL) of their own there. The fan base is there and the attendence is not worse than the Panthers attendence, so they could be a very successful AHL team. Personally, I'd move the team to Winnipeg, Hartford, Quebec, or Portland/Seattle in that order. Winnipeg is a great hockey city that has a new arena and one of the better AHL teams and a lot of history. Hartford would need a new arena...anyone whose been to the Civic Center knows its not fit for NHL hockey. Plus the fans are still bitter about the Whalers. Quebec would be a perfect fit for a second French Canadian team and Portland/Seattle is an empty spot on the NHL map.

Why would fans in nashville start going to AHL games? Its not like you can substitute an NHL team for an AHL team and all of a sudden you have great attendance. Realistically the best they could hope for would be half capacity.

Why would fans in nashville start going to AHL games? Its not like you can substitute an NHL team for an AHL team and all of a sudden you have great attendance. Realistically the best they could hope for would be half capacity.

No, their attendence is not bad as of now in Nashville. Plus, the Gwinnett Galdiators have shown that minor league hockey does draw in an NHL environment in the Southeast. The diehard hockey fans will go. I am just saying minor league hockey would fit in a town like Nashville should the Preds move

No, their attendence is not bad as of now in Nashville. Plus, the Gwinnett Galdiators have shown that minor league hockey does draw in an NHL environment in the Southeast. The diehard hockey fans will go. I am just saying minor league hockey would fit in a town like Nashville should the Preds move

I am sure that the nashville team would probably lead the ahl in attendance, but that number would be somewhere around 10,000. The team didnt sell out a game until march despite have the best record in the NHL.