McCain camp begins to gut itself

Rune

WASHINGTON (AP) ? John McCain?s campaign, trailing top Republican rivals in money and polls, is undergoing a significant

reorganization with staff cuts in every department, officials with knowledge of the shake-up said Monday.

Some 50 staffers or more are being let go, and senior aides will be subject to pay cuts as the Arizona senator?s campaign bows to

the reality of six months of subpar fundraising, these officials said.

They spoke on the condition of anonymity because the plans have not been made public. An afternoon conference call was scheduled to announce the results of second-quarter fundraising.

Once considered the front-runner for the GOP nomination, McCain came in third in the money chase behind Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani, raising $13.6 million in the first three months of the year. He is struggling to reach that total in the second financial quarter.

Officials said the fundamental leadership of the campaign will not change; Terry Nelson, a veteran of President Bush?s winning 2004 campaign, will remain campaign manager but may volunteer his time instead of drawing a salary.

Nelson declined to comment, and Brian Jones, the campaign?s communications director, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Mccain's not a guy who likes to be embarrased, this is my take but I see him as a stubborn slightly egotistical guy. So the question is will he be stubborn and stay in this race or if his trend continues and it looks like it will, will he drop out of the race if he has no shot?

Yes, he's very stubborn.

He decided to sell his soul to the people who won the White House for Bush in 2000 and 2004, and he's paying for it. It seems clear to me that he is obsessed with winning the Presidency at all costs. I'm sure he realizes that this is his last chance.

I would want the people who won two elections for a very flawed candidate if I were him too.

:lol True.

I don't blame him either, but Bush himself may end up ruining his own party for years to come as a result.

You would think McCain would also have looked at all those polls and articles about this President, but perhaps he is in the same denial as Bush is.

Guest Festa

I would want the people who won two elections for a very flawed candidate if I were him too.

:lol True.

I don't blame him either, but Bush himself may end up ruining his own party for years to come as a result.

You would think McCain would also have looked at all those polls and articles about this President, but perhaps he is in the same denial as Bush is.

How many people look at who's running the campaign when it comes time to vote? A very very small percentage.

What does one have to do with the other? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Guest Festa

I'm just saying that even if McCain's gamble had worked, he would have likely been just as unpopular a President as Bush.

I seriously doubt they would have used the same material they used for Bush on McCain. Especially since it has become was unpopular as it has in the last few years since 2004. These people aren't dumb. Different candidate, different campaign rhetoric.

I'm just saying that even if McCain's gamble had worked, he would have likely been just as unpopular a President as Bush.

I seriously doubt they would have used the same material they used for Bush on McCain. Especially since it has become was unpopular as it has in the last few years since 2004. These people aren't dumb. Different candidate, different campaign rhetoric.

Maybe somewhat, although McCain has taken many of the same positions as the current President.

Anyone who wants to be president as much as McCain (and Kerry in 04, Hilary now, and Bush in 00) probably doesn't deserve to be President because they are almost assuredly going to mess up. It's all about the power for those people and legacy and nothing about serving the needs of the country.

Anyone who wants to be president as much as McCain (and Kerry in 04, Hilary now, and Bush in 00) probably doesn't deserve to be President because they are almost assuredly going to mess up. It's all about the power for those people and legacy and nothing about serving the needs of the country.

Exactly what I think.

However, I don't think that Kerry wanted the Presidency as much as McCain does now. I do agree on Hillary, however. It's pretty clear that she feels entitled to it, I guess because of what she endured during MonicaGate? I have no idea.

Rudy is still doing well. :whistle

Totally agree with you.

I really have no idea how badly Rudy wants to be President. I'm not even sure when he decided that he wanted to run, but my guess is that it was around the time of the Republican National Convention in 2004, when he spoke before the delegates. Regardless, I would be interested to know.

I think Rudy just likes thinking of himself as President, not whether or not he is the man for the job. He wants the title (See: Rodham Clinton, Hillary).

*pukes*

Possibly. However, I would think that he realizes that if it wasn't for 9/11, nobody would even know who he is.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. There's still the odd chance that someone wants to be president AND might lead the nation in the right direction. I certainly don't want some guy who doesn't really want the job, or measure up to the job, who's just been thrust into the position by his party because they feel they can control him.

But I know what you're getting at there.

I see it some in Hillary, not so much with Kerry but to each his own.

But for some reason I don't see the passion (no not you Fox) for the job with Rudy when he's giving speeches.

Kerry was never passionate about anything, so I doubt that argument can be made, unless it's coming from someone really close to him.

It's possible that Rudy should hopefully realize that he's in the wrong political party, and he's a long-shot to win the nomination, despite his polling numbers right now.

I think Rudy just likes thinking of himself as President, not whether or not he is the man for the job. He wants the title (See: Rodham Clinton, Hillary).

*pukes*

Possibly. However, I would think that he realizes that if it wasn't for 9/11, nobody would even know who he is.

:|

Would he be in this position? Probably not, but he was still an important figure and a very good mayor for New York. Hell, the guy had some SNL cameos. He was definitely known across the country.

I don't know that I necessarily agree with that. There's still the odd chance that someone wants to be president AND might lead the nation in the right direction. I certainly don't want some guy who doesn't really want the job, or measure up to the job, who's just been thrust into the position by his party because they feel they can control him.Sounds like a certain current 'sexy' candidate.

But for some reason I don't see the passion (no not you Fox) for the job with Rudy when he's giving speeches.

I think that is just how he is, before 9/11, during 9/11, after 9/11, currently. Just his 'style'. Plus the venues he has been speaking at now isn't really the place to give a hard hitting speech like that will come when we get closer to the primaries and the campaigning really revs up. I definitely feel he wants it.

It's possible that Rudy should hopefully realize that he's in the wrong political party, and he's a long-shot to win the nomination, despite his polling numbers right now.

I don't see any scenario right now that has him less than 2nd place for the nomination. Not exactly a long-shot but if it's Thompson and Giuliani head to head he will not win in my mind. Thompson will destroy him in the debates.

I say long shot because his positions are just too far to the left for GOP supporters to swallow. It's even beginning to look like even Mitt Romney (John Kerry II) has a better shot because of his politics than Giuliani. It looks like it's probably Fred Thompson's nomination to lose, although he certainly has his fair share of problems.

BTW, I'll say it now. Mccain will go down in the history books as another Stephen Douglas. He'll get his page about being such a larger than life Senate but ultimately he wanted the presidency and he could never have it because his entire Senate career was driven to get to that point.

It isn't McCain's agreements with Bush on certain issues such as the troop surge that will doom him. What will doom him is that during his time in the Senate he has too often 'reached across party lines' but not to achieve compromise as much as to be the 'I'll get it done b/c I'm the compromiser' Senator.

McCain has been disliked by the true conservatives from the getgo, so if anything his attempt to appease the neoconservative wing is a last ditch effort to win a nomination.

[ I certainly don't want some guy who doesn't really want the job, or measure up to the job, who's just been thrust into the position by his party ....

Sounds like a certain current 'sexy' candidate.Fred Thompson?

:mischief

In Fox's view, probably. :mischief

[ I certainly don't want some guy who doesn't really want the job, or measure up to the job, who's just been thrust into the position by his party ....

Sounds like a certain current 'sexy' candidate.Fred Thompson?

:mischief

I hope that wasn't more than a quip and didn't actually have some belief behind it. :mischeif