Official NBA Offseason Thread

JonDigital

Didn't see an offseason thread like the NHL one. Might as well start one...

Bobcats free agent shooting guard Matt Carroll has agreed to a long-term deal to stay with his current team. A source close to the situation said Carroll will sign a six-year contract, worth roughly $27 million, when he returns from a trip to Asia. "I can't describe how happy I am," Carroll said. "After the Jason Richardson (trade) I didn't think it would work out like this. I thought I might have to go somewhere else.''

The Spurs reached agreement Tuesday with forward Matt Bonner on a three-year contract worth about $9 million. The Spurs have kept their championship team intact this summer, agreeing to terms with Fabricio Oberto and Jacque Vaughn earlier in the week. "Matt always wanted to stay with the Spurs, so he's very excited to be coming back," said Kenny Grant, Bonner's agent.

The Spurs have reached an agreement to re-sign center Fabricio Oberto. His deal is said to be for three years and worth $10.5 million.

Other news...

A league source says that talks are in the early stages, but suggested the Bulls and Grizzlies may be working on a deal that would send Pau Gasol to Chicago for a package that would include forward Andres Nocioni.

Derek Fisher left $21 million behind when he asked for his release from the Jazz and is looking to move to one of six cities that can provide proper medical care for his daughter, who has a rare form of eye cancer.

According to a league source, the Kings recently contacted Orlando about Hedo Turkoglu. The Kings might be offering Ron Artest in return, whose $7.8 million salary for the 2007-08 campaign is close enough to Turkoglu's $6.3 million salary to fall within the parameters of the collective bargaining agreement.

The Heat are having discussions with Denver free agent point guard Steve Blake, among several other players. The team is also working landing a small forward or re-signing James Posey. They've contacted Mo Peterson, Matt Barnes and Warriors restricted free agent Mickael Pietrus recently.

There ya go. A nice cut and paste job!

Guest FishFanInPA

One theory is the Bulls would be willing to send Andres Nocioni, first-round draft pick Joakim Noah, backup point guard Chris Duhon and filler to the Grizzlies in exchange for the 7-foot Pau Gasol, who averaged 20.8 points and 9.8 rebounds last season. Nocioni is a restricted free agent, which means the Bulls can match any offer the third-year forward receives. Bulls general manager John Paxson stated emphatically Monday that he'll match any offer sheet for Nocioni. But it's possible Paxson's message was another way of saying any team that wants Nocioni will have to negotiate a trade.

Derek Fisher, who was released by the Jazz in order to take better care of his ill daughter, would love to play in New York, where little Tatum has been receiving treatments for retinoblastoma. His agent, Mark Bartelstein, spoke to Knicks assistant general manager Glen Grunwald yesterday about the possibility, which is probably a bit remote. The Knicks have 17 players on the roster and are stocked at guard, but for Fisher it would be the perfect match. "It's all very preliminary," said Bartelstein, one of this summer's busiest representatives, with a dozen free-agent clients. "Obviously, Derek would have a lot of interest in New York." Bartelstein said his client plans on playing next season, and a return to the Lakers, where he could be a starter, is probably a stronger possibility than the Knicks. -- Newark Star-Ledger

The Kings are willing to trade Artest for Turkoglu, but not for Udonis Haslem? Hmm...

All these teams are signing players or making trades while Riley is sitting back shining his rings. Get on the horse, Patrick. Damn.

One theory is the Bulls would be willing to send Andres Nocioni, first-round draft pick Joakim Noah, backup point guard Chris Duhon and filler to the Grizzlies in exchange for the 7-foot Pau Gasol, who averaged 20.8 points and 9.8 rebounds last season. Nocioni is a restricted free agent, which means the Bulls can match any offer the third-year forward receives. Bulls general manager John Paxson stated emphatically Monday that he'll match any offer sheet for Nocioni. But it's possible Paxson's message was another way of saying any team that wants Nocioni will have to negotiate a trade.

Um, I'd do that in half a second.

Um, I'd do that in half a second.

You'd do anything to get rid of Noah. :lol

But no, I'd do it too.

No, its just he is a very expendable piece to me and I'm not as high on Nocioni as some people. If that offer is really on the table, the Bulls would be retarded not to do it.

C - Wallace

PF - Gasol

SF - Deng

SG - Gordon

PG - Hinrich

Bench - Thomas, Thabo, Curry, Brown (?)

Yes please.

I will admit that I'd like to never see Noah play a minute of time on the floor in a Bulls uni though.

If Orlando gets Artest all I can say is watch the f*** out.

That team will be a force, if it isn't already.

Artest would be perfect for us talent wise. Of course there is always the cocern that he does something crazy. Besides, I read on another board that he is on record saying no matter where he ends up, he is going to opt out after next season and go to the Knicks.

So along those lines, I would love to do this trade:

Sactown gets: Hedo, 2009 Orlando lottery protected, 2008 NY top 3 protected first rounder

NY gets: Artest

Orlando gets: David Lee, Dan Dickau, and Fred Jones

If Sacramento REALLY wanted Hedo, I would personally pack his bags, fly him over cross country, and drop him off myself. But I'm pretty sure this rumor is bogus. Or maybe they want Hedo, but not for Artest, ie the writer making that part up.

No, its just he is a very expendable piece to me and I'm not as high on Nocioni as some people. If that offer is really on the table, the Bulls would be retarded not to do it.

C - Wallace

PF - Gasol

SF - Deng

SG - Gordon

PG - Hinrich

Bench - Thomas, Thabo, Curry, Brown (?)

Yes please.

I will admit that I'd like to never see Noah play a minute of time on the floor in a Bulls uni though.

I think this deal is going to get done. It makes sense for both sides. That also puts the Bulls on top of the east IMO.

Guest FishFanInPA

Now, any team in the league can sign Milicic without fear of the Magic matching an offer. Only three teams, the Bobcats, Grizzlies and Bucks, have the cap room available to offer more than the mid-level exception. A fourth team, the Chicago Bulls, might be able to clear enough room if they were to renounce their rights to free agent Andres Nocioni.

If Milicic does decide to sign a mid-level deal, expect the teams like Philadelphia and San Antonio that will have signficant cap room to re-sign him in the summer of 2008.

I still dont see memphis trading Gasol w/o getting one of Deng or Gordon.

No way they will get that.

That phone call to Pax would be over and done within 2 seconds.

Deng is not going anywhere unless a handful of players became available and even then I seriously doubt Pax would gut a huge part of the future and part with him.

I, and I suspect the FO expects him to be a 22 and 8 guy next year and probably an all-star. Kid just turned 22. The Bulls don't need Gasol as much as the Grizz need to deal Gasol as they start anew.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Several twists and turns still could develop before the free-agent signing moratorium ends July 11.

But for one relatively quiet holiday, some momentum swung the Bulls' way in the wooing of Andres Nocioni.

As one of only three teams with significant cap room now that the Orlando Magic has reached an oral agreement with Rashard Lewis, the Memphis Grizzlies are weighing their options with interest in Nocioni as well as Cavaliers restricted free agent Anderson Varejao.

The longer the Grizzlies wait, however, the more attractive a Bulls offer that already is on the table could become.

A source said the Bulls' five-year offer starts near $6.3 million to $6.4 million for the first season. Factoring in a 10.5 percent increase of the first season's salary annually, the total package sits at approximately $38.1 million to $38.7 million.

The Bulls could increase that offer and also would have seven days to match any offer sheet Nocioni signed with Memphis. General manager John Paxson has vowed to match any offers for his hyperactive forward.

Per the collective bargaining agreement, the Bulls are allowed to offer Nocioni a six-year contract. Sources said the Grizzlies have yet to tender Nocioni an official offer.

It's unclear whether any oral offers or promises of an offer have been made. Nocioni is believed to be the Grizzlies' No. 1 target. The Grizzlies, however, can offer only an 8 percent increase in their package. Thus, a five-year offer starting at $7 million is worth $40.6 million, a figure the Bulls almost surely would match.

Should the Grizzlies start a five-year package at $8 million, that deal would be worth $46.4 million. That number might give Paxson pause, although nothing on the Grizzlies' roster beyond Pau Gasol interests the Bulls in sign-and-trade scenarios.

And Paxson has vowed not to lose Nocioni for nothing.

There are no indications the Grizzlies will make Gasol available. In fact, contradicting that notion, the Memphis Commercial Appeal reported that Gasol personally recruited Nocioni with a phone call while new Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace visited Nocioni in Buenos Aires.

Nocioni has told contacts in Argentina that he liked Wallace and believes he could fit in well with new coach Marc Iavaroni's envisioned up-tempo system.

The Grizzlies used their lottery pick on Ohio State point guard Mike Conley Jr. to be the push guard in that attack. But Nocioni also has a strong comfort level with Paxson and coach Scott Skiles and maintained throughout last season that his first priority would be to re-sign with the Bulls.

Even if the Bulls add a scoring big man, as Paxson has stressed is their main off-season priority, and Luol Deng stays healthy at the small forward spot, Nocioni is considered a vital cog in the Bulls' attack.

His ability to stretch defenses with his three-point shooting, rebound bigger than his 6-foot-7-inch size and play multiple forward positions is valuable.

Nocioni, 27, is recovering from plantar fasciitis in his right foot. His manic playing style may be cause for worry at times, but it's only the second significant injury of his career.

Article doesn't make the Gasol trade potential look very apparent.

Anything this early is a lot of noise though both ways.

Forget paying that much for Nocioni if we are going to keep him. Seriously.

They were talking on the radio today about how it seems like Paxson falls in love and gets to attached with his guys, and isn't willing to deal them for anything.

Sure he'll part with the likes of Duhon, but what is that going to get you? Nothing.

I could see them dealing Gordon because they got a similar player in Curry in the draft.

I'm not adverse to trading Gordon.

He'll put up 20 for you but that comes at the cost of him being undersized at the defensive end and he has limitations on offense with creating his own shot big time.

I wouldn't trade Deng, Kirk, Thomas, or Thabo unless a real sexy trade came a long and I don't think I'd trade Deng + others in any package. The rest are fine.

It just seems to me the Bulls as is can only go so high and if we go into next year with a similar line-up I can see them having a very good regular season 1/2 seed and then falter in the playoffs.

Agreed, out of the young core the Bulls had Gordon is most expendable. Like you said, he'll put up his points but he's a very undersized 2 who isn't equipped to play the point and is simply a bad defender. With that being said, he has value because of the offensive numbers he puts up. Some team will be looking for that guy you go to down the stretch when you need a bucket, and to a certain extent Gordon can be the guy.

Eh, I felt the Gasol trade was dead this afternoon when both on PTI ripped the trade and I was reading several other columnists with the same opinion. I think Memphis would have taken the deal had the media not gotten hold but I doubt they'll pull a trigger on a trade that is already getting bad press.

A bad deal for the Grizz?

I mean in terms of the players it is, but really what is Memphis going to do as they are constructed in the west? Not much.

Why not try to deal a non-franchise player who is signed for a long time to get younger and less expensive? Not that bad of an idea.

A bad deal for the Grizz?

I mean in terms of the players it is, but really what is Memphis going to do as they are constructed in the west? Not much.

Why not try to deal a non-franchise player who is signed for a long time to get younger and less expensive? Not that bad of an idea.

Eh, you're right it's not a terrible deal but even if I'm GM of the Grizz, I still have a real hard time pulling the trigger on that deal. I would want at least one guy that you can be fairly certain is going to be an intergral part of your team in any deal that would send your franchise player out. I mean, I think most agree Noah could be a good but unspectacular piece in the NBA. Their's not a lot there for growth it seems to me, and Nocioni is a real nice player to have if you already have a core group.

I mean, I understand the dynamics. Free up cap space and get some youth in their and hope lighting strikes much like it did for the Bulls a few years back, its just I personally couldn't do it with the players involved.

If Orlando gets Artest all I can say is watch the f*** out.

That team will be a force, if it isn't already.

Artest would be perfect for us talent wise. Of course there is always the cocern that he does something crazy. Besides, I read on another board that he is on record saying no matter where he ends up, he is going to opt out after next season and go to the Knicks.

So along those lines, I would love to do this trade:

Sactown gets: Hedo, 2009 Orlando lottery protected, 2008 NY top 3 protected first rounder

Orlando gets: David Lee, Dan Dickau, and Fred Jones

If Sacramento REALLY wanted Hedo, I would personally pack his bags, fly him over cross country, and drop him off myself. But I'm pretty sure this rumor is bogus. Or maybe they want Hedo, but not for Artest, ie the writer making that part up.

The Knicks are not giving up a lottery pick, David Lee, and an expiring contract for Artest. Even if it is Isiah...

I could see this happening, though...

Sac gets: Turkoglu, 1st round 08 protected, and take on a bad contract like Garrity

Orl gets: Jamal Crawford, and some other little sweetner