Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FIU Orientation

Featured Replies

Anybody else went to FIU orientation today?

 

wow I am stressed up lol

 

however i'm glad theres only one more day, but tomorrow is the class picking thing.

Orientation is the most boring thing in the world. I slept through it.

 

I was down at the school today because I'm working for the Beacon now. Didn't even realize it was orientation though... I'll be there tomorrow too, hope it's not a madhouse.

Any form of Orientation at any school is the most mind numbing experience. THe only part I enjoyed was the hour long talk we got on Date rape, god I love police written scenario's.

What exactly do you do at orientations? I've got mine at UM on the 17th of Aug.

They talk at you all day about a bunch of obvious stuff (if a girl is drunk, don't put it in her, just say no, etc.) and then you sign up for classes.

They talk at you all day about a bunch of obvious stuff (if a girl is drunk, don't put it in her, just say no, etc.) and then you sign up for classes.

 

Its not rape if she can't say no.

i hated orientation, i was sleepy as hell and there are all these cheery ass peer advisors trying to get you do all these idiotic chants. thats all i really remember from mine, that and registering the next day for classes and taking my ID picture.

 

oh and i went wearing a UM jersey that first day without even thinking and lets just say i got called out by some of the peer adviosrs.

  • Author

hahaha how you gonna wear a UM jersey man lol

 

but yeah like my cousin told me, most of it is a waste of time, breaking the ice and stuff. The most useful stuff is the campus tour so you can get familiar with where stuff is, and the advisor meeting, because (at least personally) its really confusing... everything they present you with and all the requirements and all the different majors and stuff.

 

btw I am planning to study a major in Computer Science because I love computers. Can anybody advice me on it? Pros/Cons? Which is a good field/career within Computer Science? It'd be really nice if anyone could enlighten me lol

hahaha how you gonna wear a UM jersey man lol

 

but yeah like my cousin told me, most of it is a waste of time, breaking the ice and stuff. The most useful stuff is the campus tour so you can get familiar with where stuff is, and the advisor meeting, because (at least personally) its really confusing... everything they present you with and all the requirements and all the different majors and stuff.

 

btw I am planning to study a major in Computer Science because I love computers. Can anybody advice me on it? Pros/Cons? Which is a good field/career within Computer Science? It'd be really nice if anyone could enlighten me lol

 

I started off Computer Science/Computer Engineering, but I just didn't enjoy a lot of the coursework. I enjoyed the Java class I took but I wanted to get more into the hardware aspect, so I switched to Electrical Engineering.

Yeah the FIU Orientation sucked. I went last week. At least on the second day all you have to do is meet with your academic adviser and then you can leave.

 

P.S. They try to get you to pick your classes right then, but you don't have to. If you want to think it over, you can do it from any computer by logging into your Panthersoft account.

I really hate those peer advisers. They are giving these freshmen a false image of the university. They need to tone it down. I got stopped by one of them today and she got on my nerves quickly.

  • Author

Alright I'll pick tomorrow anyways I already have classes in mind...its only the fall semester anyways.

 

I have one question though, lets say in four years I graduate with a major in Computer Science, what career/job opportunities do I have? Is it like, you graduate with all that knowledge and then you apply to places and choose what you want to do? Or is it maybe in the last year of FIU you pick your classes that match your specific career within your major?

i hated orientation, i was sleepy as hell and there are all these cheery ass peer advisors trying to get you do all these idiotic chants. thats all i really remember from mine, that and registering the next day for classes and taking my ID picture.

 

oh and i went wearing a UM jersey that first day without even thinking and lets just say i got called out by some of the peer adviosrs.

 

Haha! That wasn't the only time you got called out. :p

 

 

My orientation was pretty boring. But FIU is a lot of fun. Welcome to the Golden Panther family! :)

Yeah the FIU Orientation sucked. I went last week. At least on the second day all you have to do is meet with your academic adviser and then you can leave.

 

P.S. They try to get you to pick your classes right then, but you don't have to. If you want to think it over, you can do it from any computer by logging into your Panthersoft account.

 

Might as well pick classes then that you think you want so they dont fill up and then I would assume youcould just change your schedge later

  • Author

Ahhhhh the days of orientation... BORING!! Dont get stressed out dude, it will all come together

 

yeah bro I feel alot better today now that its over, picked my fall classes except the science, because I was going for intro to genetics but the class doesn't show up and the ppl there said that means that they aren't going to offer it or something...so now i have to pick one of these intros: microbiology, botany, or marine biology...which do you guys recommend is the easiest/funnest?

Ahhhhh the days of orientation... BORING!! Dont get stressed out dude, it will all come together

 

yeah bro I feel alot better today now that its over, picked my fall classes except the science, because I was going for intro to genetics but the class doesn't show up and the ppl there said that means that they aren't going to offer it or something...so now i have to pick one of these intros: microbiology, botany, or marine biology...which do you guys recommend is the easiest/funnest?

 

this doesnt answer your question but i was wondering what campus were you at?

Have you started looking into on campus activities like club and greek life?

  • Author

Have you started looking into on campus activities like club and greek life?

 

Nah bro not yet, these past days have just been overwhelming so Im going to cool down a bit before going into that...Are you attending FIU?

  • Author

Ahhhhh the days of orientation... BORING!! Dont get stressed out dude, it will all come together

 

yeah bro I feel alot better today now that its over, picked my fall classes except the science, because I was going for intro to genetics but the class doesn't show up and the ppl there said that means that they aren't going to offer it or something...so now i have to pick one of these intros: microbiology, botany, or marine biology...which do you guys recommend is the easiest/funnest?

 

this doesnt answer your question but i was wondering what campus were you at?

 

University Park. You?

Ahhhhh the days of orientation... BORING!! Dont get stressed out dude, it will all come together

 

yeah bro I feel alot better today now that its over, picked my fall classes except the science, because I was going for intro to genetics but the class doesn't show up and the ppl there said that means that they aren't going to offer it or something...so now i have to pick one of these intros: microbiology, botany, or marine biology...which do you guys recommend is the easiest/funnest?

 

this doesnt answer your question but i was wondering what campus were you at?

 

University Park. You?

 

nah i graduated, i was just asking because i knew North campus had one yesterday and today

  • Author

Ahhhhh the days of orientation... BORING!! Dont get stressed out dude, it will all come together

 

yeah bro I feel alot better today now that its over, picked my fall classes except the science, because I was going for intro to genetics but the class doesn't show up and the ppl there said that means that they aren't going to offer it or something...so now i have to pick one of these intros: microbiology, botany, or marine biology...which do you guys recommend is the easiest/funnest?

 

this doesnt answer your question but i was wondering what campus were you at?

 

University Park. You?

 

nah i graduated, i was just asking because i knew North campus had one yesterday and today

 

oh man thats awesome its over for you lol

 

what did you study?

Have you started looking into on campus activities like club and greek life?

Nah bro not yet, these past days have just been overwhelming so Im going to cool down a bit before going into that...Are you attending FIU?Yes sir.

 

You should go to Welcome Week the week before school starts if you're interested in club activities. Or, if you want to know about the right club, you could just ask me!

  • Author

Have you started looking into on campus activities like club and greek life?

Nah bro not yet, these past days have just been overwhelming so Im going to cool down a bit before going into that...Are you attending FIU?Yes sir.

 

You should go to Welcome Week the week before school starts if you're interested in club activities. Or, if you want to know about the right club, you could just ask me!

 

lol lemme guess, you are one of the peer advisors right?

Ahhhhh the days of orientation... BORING!! Dont get stressed out dude, it will all come together

 

yeah bro I feel alot better today now that its over, picked my fall classes except the science, because I was going for intro to genetics but the class doesn't show up and the ppl there said that means that they aren't going to offer it or something...so now i have to pick one of these intros: microbiology, botany, or marine biology...which do you guys recommend is the easiest/funnest?

 

this doesnt answer your question but i was wondering what campus were you at?

 

University Park. You?

 

nah i graduated, i was just asking because i knew North campus had one yesterday and today

 

oh man thats awesome its over for you lol

 

what did you study?

 

tv production

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.