Views from above

i don't think is about winning ramp. you just have to build a tradition. i don't think there's one town in the world that supports losing sports teams. i'm sure if 8 out of 10 seasons are hopefull and at least decent you'll have support, but when you dismantled a winning team and have only 1 winning season in 10 years and not much hope any time, people won't support you.

I agree very much with this statement. Although some of it is definately based on winning, a lot of teams who draw well even in mediocre seasons have been around for a very long time. It takes generations sometimes to build a great fan base.* Families go to games and bring their kids, and then those kids become fans, etc, etc... Over time it becomes part of the community, the way the Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes have become.

*The alternative is to win quickly and win a lot. (See Arizona Diamondbacks)

The other theory about teams in the south having fair-weather fans is an interesting one too, but hard to back up. Arizona's hard to compare since they're world series contenders every year lately, and Devil Ray fans really haven't had any reason to show up much anyway. The Braves are the only good example. The San Diego Padres for instance are not going to compete but they generally draw pretty good crowds.

here is a solution:

put a damn winner on the field year in and year out.....

yankeefan nails it...

you can count on one hand the number of true 'baseball towns'

he has 3 of them and is leaving out one.

St. Louis

This is interesting though....

They are not northern...

Nor or they southern....

Does Yankeefan's thesis still hold true????

To an extent yes....there still is not a southern city that will support their team year in and year out....

San Diego is an interesting example...but i need to see their attendance figures....

However one thing has been proven:

Winning brings in fans.

Lets look at the root of the problem instead of trying to create excuses.

Miami is not a small market. The next time someone uses that excuse either on these forums or in the media...I am going to call horseshit.

All knows that Miami is a fair weather sports town...as are many towns...

You can count on I would say two hands the number of towns that always support their respective teams.

Thats why I like Portland if the demand is there.

First - some 411 on Pudge from a lifelong AL fan:

Pudge is a fantastic O player, as all of you know. He also has a cannon attached to his neck and I pity the fool who tries to steal on him - hell he'll even pick you off at 1st if your lead is too big and you are lollygagging. HOWEVER - the knock on Pudge has ALWAYS been that he is clueless when it comes to handling his pitchers. He is also pretty poor when it comes to calling a game. Some attributed this aspect to poor pitching in Texas, but I think the Marlins will expose this weakness in Pudge's game for what it is.

oh yeah....

didnt i give the same arguement here????

all the homers here want to dismiss pudge's inadequacies as no big deal....

lets be objective people....

call things how they are.

Thats all I ask. Objectivity.

he has 3 of them and is leaving out one.

St. Louis

This is interesting though....

They are not northern...

Nor or they southern....

Does Yankeefan's thesis still hold true????

Ah yes, the infamous "exception to the rule" clause... :mischief

Some thoughts on the Cards...

1. After the Yankees, who has the most Pennants?

2. After the Yankees, who has the most World Championships?

3. Who is the oldest team in baseball?

Cards, Cards, Cards... [i know some of you are thinking Cubs but they weren't the "Cubs" until 1903... ;) ]

you are lucky yankeefan....

i was gonna call you out on that one....

but you corrected yourself.

its funny that many forget about the cardinals as being the second most successful franchise in baseball history...

and i swear if it wasnt for those dominant yankee teams of the 20s and 30s...the cards would have a few more titles.