Have we really addressed our needs?

Pnino

With all the hoopla going on lately, I want to step back and think about what has been accomplished thus far.

Based on last year, I would say our offense was pretty solid from top to bottom. Now that Cabs is gone, we have lost offense for this upcoming year. But I am still satisfied with it considering many of our young hitters are one year older and should start showing up at the plate (i.e Hermida, Ramirez, Uggla, not sure Jacobs is gonna get much better).

But our main problem last year was pitching and defense. Have we improved thus far this offseason.

This is the way I see it:

So far at 3rd, we have not upgraded. Yes Cabs was pretty poor defensively, but as of now there is no replacement. If moving Uggla to 3rd, don't think we have actually improved there.

CF, doubt it. If Maybin is the starter, I can't give him the thumbs up. He will make plenty of errors considering it will be his first year there in that massive hole Dolphin offers in CF.

C speaks for itself. We have no Starter and the option out there don't seem as if it will offer much improvement on the defensive side.

Pitching, No. Don't see any improvement in our SP. Our relief should be solid. W/ the loss of Dontrelle, I see us acutually sliding behind here. He ate up innings and now that he is not there, our Relief will be much more taxed.

What do you think?

With all the hoopla going on lately, I want to step back and think about what has been accomplished thus far.

Based on last year, I would say our offense was pretty solid from top to bottom. Now that Cabs is gone, we have lost offense for this upcoming year. But I am still satisfied with it considering many of our young hitters are one year older and should start showing up at the plate (i.e Hermida, Ramirez, Uggla, not sure Jacobs is gonna get much better).

Hanley hasn't showed up at the plate yet?

Hanley hasn't showed up at the plate yet?

Leave the sarcasm please. I meant he will only improve. I have high expectation for him. I think he will get even better offensively now that he is more experienced.

Well Beinfest is singing to the Tune "We've only just begun"...I guess we can only comment on what has transpired so far. We have obtained a CF who has the speed to cover CF at DS, defensively Amezaga had very limited range. We will now see a centerfield being played the way it ought to always have been played. Hermida and Willy will benefit enormously, our pitchers will learn to appreciate Maybin in CF very quickly as well. Andrew Miller is the type of pitcher that if we had to lose Dontrelle, but we had his arm to fall back on just leaves you with a smile on your face. The comparison with Randy Johnson is not an exageration. It actually might be a conservative projection. Think in terms of Josh Beckett but throwing from the left side. He could anchor a rotation for the next 10-12 years. We also acquired some more pitching depth that will compete to hammer out our rotation in ST. Mike Rabelo has skills as a catcher that are very much a significant piece for his name to be included in the trade. I highly doubt he was obtained for his bat, his handeling of pitchers and defense is his calling card. We definitely need more of that on our team. I don't know if he is a stopgap til Langley arrives. I know Maybin will likely hit lead-off but with his power he may end up hitting 4th down the road. He will be a fun player to watch. I just am a little concern with the strikeouts ratio but lets sit back and enjoy.

Next matter of business: 3rd base...

pitching and defense were our weaknesses in 2007 , we obtained no immediate help in those areas , I think tiger trade 2-3 years down the line will bare fruit in both areas but in 08 I dont see much improvement which is kind of funny because I do think we have a fair shot of winning more games than 07.

The platoon of Rabelo/Treanor automatically improves the defense of Olivo/Treanor

With Cabs gone, anyone outside of Jorge Cantu at 3b more than likely improves the defense

If it is Maybin in CF, our defense will improve in CF. Hell, if it's Carroll for 3 months, it improves out there.

And for the hell of it, I'm going to say Hanley will be improved too

Andrew Miller is the type of pitcher that if we had to lose Dontrelle, but we had his arm to fall back on just leaves you with a smile on your face. The comparison with Randy Johnson is not an exageration. It actually might be a conservative projection. Think in terms of Josh Beckett but throwing from the left side.

While I'm extremely giddy about Andrew Miller, some of you guys comparisons are off the charts

Andrew Miller is the type of pitcher that if we had to lose Dontrelle, but we had his arm to fall back on just leaves you with a smile on your face. The comparison with Randy Johnson is not an exageration. It actually might be a conservative projection. Think in terms of Josh Beckett but throwing from the left side.

While I'm extremely giddy about Andrew Miller, some of you guys comparisons are off the charts

lol yea seriously... I'm waiting till I see him to start saying that kinda stuff. plus I doubt he can throw 102 mph in the 11th inning like randy did???

or kill a pigeon in mid flight

Our defense will be better this year.

Hanley and Hermida's defense can't get worse and like Ramp mentioned, anyone but Cantu is an improvement over Cabs (BTW, Cabs lookin VERY fit in a picture that was taken of him as he was at the airport leaving Miami).

No Olivo means balls will be getting caught at the catcher position.

Well Beinfest is singing to the Tune "We've only just begun"...I guess we can only comment on what has transpired so far. We have obtained a CF who has the speed to cover CF at DS, defensively Amezaga had very limited range. We will now see a centerfield being played the way it ought to always have been played. Hermida and Willy will benefit enormously, our pitchers will learn to appreciate Maybin in CF very quickly as well. Andrew Miller is the type of pitcher that if we had to lose Dontrelle, but we had his arm to fall back on just leaves you with a smile on your face. The comparison with Randy Johnson is not an exageration. It actually might be a conservative projection. Think in terms of Josh Beckett but throwing from the left side. He could anchor a rotation for the next 10-12 years. We also acquired some more pitching depth that will compete to hammer out our rotation in ST. Mike Rabelo has skills as a catcher that are very much a significant piece for his name to be included in the trade. I highly doubt he was obtained for his bat, his handeling of pitchers and defense is his calling card. We definitely need more of that on our team. I don't know if he is a stopgap til Langley arrives. I know Maybin will likely hit lead-off but with his power he may end up hitting 4th down the road. He will be a fun player to watch. I just am a little concern with the strikeouts ratio but lets sit back and enjoy.

Next matter of business: 3rd base...

There has been a lot made of his propensity to fan, and it is an area of concern (perhaps the only major concern with Maybin), but I think it is also important to consider that it's not like he doesn't know how to draw a walk. Baseball Prospectus has noted his advanced pitch recognition, and last year he posted OBPs nearly 100 points higher than his BA. So that bodes well for his ability to improve in this area. It seems with Maybin it's largely a matter of knowing when to lay off/learning to hit the curveball. It would be of greater concern if he were striking out a ton and not walking at all.

It is hard to envision the Marlins upgrading at 3B. If you're talking strictly defense, sure, we'll probably upgrade there. But we aren't replacing Cabrera's bat there anytime soon. The question is whether the Marlins will fill the hole they created at 3B or if we just traded one hole we've had for awhile (CF) for another (3B).

Amezaga was a real good defensive CF and with a good arm too, just sayin'

I watched both Amezaga and Abercrombie in CF a lot at the games I saw in person, and I can honestly say that Amezaga doesn't really get good reads on the ball which is why he made so many highlight reel catches. Abercrombie caught balls in stride that Amezaga had to die for. I think Amezaga's defense, while not atrocious by any means, was a little overrated.

Amezaga was a real good defensive CF and with a good arm too, just sayin'

I watched both Amezaga and Abercrombie in CF a lot at the games I saw in person, and I can honestly say that Amezaga doesn't really get good reads on the ball which is why he made so many highlight reel catches. Abercrombie caught balls in stride that Amezaga had to die for. I think Amezaga's defense, while not atrocious by any means, was a little overrated.

i remember abercrombie running into hammer alot and then watching the ball drop in between them. he improved though can't deny it

He was 6th in +/- and that's in half the innings of the other guys...and although he wasn't qualifed due to lack of innings, he would have been first in RZR, and although he was 18th in OOZ, again he only had about half the innings of the other guys, his rate of OOZ plays per inning is top-3.

However I also have to wonder how much of that is the fact that he plays really shallow. But even then, his RZR shows he still covers the zone greatly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.