There Will Be Blood

Hotcorner

Synopsis please.

Loosely based on Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel "Oil!"

Even some of the reviews give me the chills:

Paul Thomas Anderson's extraordinary "There Will Be Blood" is a radical departure for the director of "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia." Though epic in sweep, it covers 30 years in the life of Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis), a fiercely driven oil baron in early-20th-century California, it's as singularly focused as those multi-character panoramas were sprawling. Because of its subject, its grand Western landscapes and its tycoon protagonist, Anderson's movie has already been compared, somewhat misleadingly, with "Giant" and "Citizen Kane." However, its uncompromising portrait of egotism and greed run amuck has more in common with Werner Herzog's hallucinatory "Aguirre, the Wrath of God." And as a harrowing account of an obsessively anti-social man, its emotional temperature is closer to "Raging Bull." What it shares with all of Anderson's work is a blistering intensity, and filmmaking that can make your jaw drop.

-David Ansen, Newsweek

http://www.newsweek.com/id/74407

Guest CrimsonCane

I think if that Daniel Day-Lewis keeps refining and practicing his trade, he could be a solid actor one day.

The guy's got some tremendous upside potential. I'd keep my eye on him.

Guest CrimsonCane

I hope this gives P.T Anderson his first Academy Award nomination for directing.

The Academy already owes him three.

The truth.

I'm really looking forward to this movie. My favorite director with my favorite actor. And I'm even more excited because of these two facts: Daniel Day-Lewis (arguably the pickiest actor when it comes to taking roles) said that all that was needed for him to be on board for this movie was for P.T. Anderson to ask AND P.T. Anderson has said that from the beginning he wrote the title character with Day-Lewis in mind. If PT Anderson films can get amazing performances from Tom Cruise and Adam Sandler (who are not bad actors IMO), I can only imagine what we might see in this film with an actor like Day-Lewis as the lead.

Penguino, I'm curious. What's your opinion on PT Anderson's other works?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it today. Thought it was excellent. I'm hesitant to call it the best film of the year because there are multiple contenders I haven't seen yet, but it is a safe bet.

However, I can certainly see why this film might not be for everyone. It is quite unique. Don't expect a Hollywood-style epic film. To the contrary, other than the film's story spanning multiple years, there is hardly anything epic about it. This is not a negative.

I haven't read any e-critic reviews of the film yet (I actually am quite interested if any of them caught this...) but I would classify the film as Kammerspiel or reminiscent of a chamber drama. To those who don't know, Kammerspiel refers to a movement in German silent cinema where a wide range of emotions were projected in an extremely intimate setting.

The score of the film is outstanding and kept many people in their seats through the credits. The music is atypical to say the least and reminds me of the type of music I would expect on a cue sheet for one of the aforementioned silent films. Ironically enough, the first line of dialogue isn't delivered until far into the film.

Daniel Day-Lewis delivers one of the best character studies I've seen in recent years. His range surpasses anything he's done in the past and produces a truly enigmatic character.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I'll be sure to comment once more people see it.

Gonna go see it tonight. Been literally dying to see this flick.

The score was composed by Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead.

Guest CrimsonCane

Best movie of the year.

Technically stunning. The score is amazing. Daniel Day-Lewis proves once again why he's in his own league among actors.

P.T. Anderson is really a master of his craft though. Every shot is perfectly framed. Among his films, I rate it below only Magnolia.

I must have very different tastes in movies from the rest of this board. I was not a fan of this film. It was long. It was boring. The ending was abrupt. I can appreciate the technical merits of the film but see them as - to be frank - baseline Hollywood production quality.

The one saving grace - the one that kept me watching - was DDL's performance. He did a lot with an uninteresting character.

I'll give it a 5/10.

I must have very different tastes in movies from the rest of this board. I was not a fan of this film. It was long. It was boring. The ending was abrupt. I can appreciate the technical merits of the film but see them as - to be frank - baseline Hollywood production quality.

The one saving grace - the one that kept me watching - was DDL's performance. He did a lot with an uninteresting character.

I'll give it a 5/10.

You have a lot of nerve giving this movie a mere 5/10. Don't you know that PTA + DDL = Automatic Best Of The Year?

You're a freakin bone-head YF21.

I'll give it a 5/10.

This movie would never come out of Hollywood. I don't think you an get more arty than this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.