2008 Projected Lineup

-Miami Fan-

I like Jake alot, but he doesn't have the potential to drive in more runs than Hammer based on his skill set

perhaps he will luck into more RBI one year than Hammer, but Josh is the much better hitter... especially when he is gonna pound lefties again in 2008

I hope you're right... But I view Josh as that Jeff Conine type guy that you know is going to give you a .275/.370/.480 year with at least 20 homers and 80 RBI. But if he can combine his '06 season against lefties and his '07 year against righties... We have a very dangerous left fielder.

And I'm just happy there was only one thing people didn't like about my lineup... haha

heh, your lineup looked exactly like mine except for the swap between Jacobs and Willingham's spots. :thumbup

I like Jake alot, but he doesn't have the potential to drive in more runs than Hammer based on his skill set

perhaps he will luck into more RBI one year than Hammer, but Josh is the much better hitter... especially when he is gonna pound lefties again in 2008

I hope you're right... But I view Josh as that Jeff Conine type guy that you know is going to give you a .275/.370/.480 year with at least 20 homers and 80 RBI. But if he can combine his '06 season against lefties and his '07 year against righties... We have a very dangerous left fielder.

And I'm just happy there was only one thing people didn't like about my lineup... haha

Conine only had a .480 or higher SLG in 3 seasons.

jake also hit behind cabs alot more then hammer not alot of guys on base for him when you have cabs driving in all the runs and we all know cabs is not scoring from first and not from second on a base hit

jake also hit behind cabs alot more then hammer not alot of guys on base for him when you have cabs driving in all the runs and we all know cabs is not scoring from first and not from second on a base hit

Not sure what you're getting at there, most of 06-07 had the top 5 in the batting order arranged with both Jake and Willingham behind Cabrera being interchangeable.

1. Ramirez

2. Uggla

3. Cabrera

4. Jacobs

5. Willingham

Or...

1. Ramirez

2. Uggla

3. Cabrera

4. Willingham

5. Jacobs

Cabrera definitely doesn't have first to home speed on a double, but he scored from second base several times from a base hit. There are so many different situations that could have happened like Ramirez leading off with a single, getting to third from an Uggla single, Cabs walking or singling in Ramirez leaving plenty of runners on for the clean-up guy if it was Jake or Willingham. Even if Jake batted behind Cabrera more than Willingham, you're going to get opportunities to drive in plenty from the clean-up spot. Even if the number 3 hitter is the leading RBI guy, there are going to be scenarios where Jake came up with a Ramirez or Uggla at second or third.

I think alot of us are underating Mike Rabelo.He showed alot of potential last season, even in the backup role behind Pudge.Imagine what he'll do full time.When Ivan Rodriguez retires in a few years he was gonna be Detroits starting man.

He will be one of the top Ten Catchers in the league,mark my words

I'll admit I was a little optimistic about Robelo too when I first heard that we got a switch-hitting catcher who was solid behind the plate and could call games. Anything sounded good after Olivo, but then reality set in. I'm not exactly sure what potential you're reffering to from last year when Robelo went .256/.300/.657 with 1 homer and 18 RBI.

I highly doubt he was going to become detroit's long term catcher after Pudge, let alone one of the top ten in the league. I still like him though, and I'm intrested to see what he can do in 08 with 400 at-bats. Until he prooves otherwise, I still view him as in between a back-up catcher and a starter.

Why is everybody so gung-ho about moving Ramirez down in the order? I know losing Cabrera left a big hole in the middle of the lineup but Hanley needs at-bats. He's dangerous every time he steps into the batters box so if leading off gets him a few ABs then I say leave him there, at least until Maybin is ready. He'll be much more disruptive at the top of the order. He's less likely to get walked intentionally but they still have to be careful how they pitch to him. The situations are more unpredictable with him on base leading off than with him on base further down the order. That makes it more difficult to neutralize his game. If I were a pitcher he would be the one guy on the team I would fear most. Batting third I would take my chances with the guy behind him. It's harder to do that if he's leading off

I think alot of us are underating Mike Rabelo.He showed alot of potential last season, even in the backup role behind Pudge.Imagine what he'll do full time.When Ivan Rodriguez retires in a few years he was gonna be Detroits starting man.

I'll admit I was a little optimistic about Robelo too when I first heard that we got a switch-hitting catcher who was solid behind the plate and could call games. Anything sounded good after Olivo, but then reality set in. I'm not exactly sure what potential you're reffering to from last year when Robelo went .256/.300/.657 with 1 homer and 18 RBI.

I highly doubt he was going to become detroit's long term catcher after Pudge, let alone one of the top ten in the league. I still like him though, and I'm intrested to see what he can do in 08 with 400 at-bats. Until he prooves otherwise, I still view him as in between a back-up catcher and a starter.

Most people would be ecstatic with the Rabelo acquisition except that he is already 27 y/o. In a backup role it is hard for a catcher to put up consistent stats. Rabelo was outstanding at times during his ocassional starts

Most people would be ecstatic with the Rabelo acquisition except that he is already 27 y/o. In a backup role it is hard for a catcher to put up consistent stats. Rabelo was outstanding at times during his ocassional starts

Isn't 27 yo the year where most players are supposed to be at their prime? If this is the case, Rabelo should be in for a good year. That is if this reasoning is true. If so, we should hopefully see what he could do at his prime.

As a good year, I mean for his abilities. Don't know how that will translate, but hopefully it will be a lot more than expected.

For our sake I hope so, but it's highly doubtful. I am sure many here agree.

Why is everybody so gung-ho about moving Ramirez down in the order? I know losing Cabrera left a big hole in the middle of the lineup but Hanley needs at-bats. He's dangerous every time he steps into the batters box so if leading off gets him a few ABs then I say leave him there, at least until Maybin is ready. He'll be much more disruptive at the top of the order. He's less likely to get walked intentionally but they still have to be careful how they pitch to him. The situations are more unpredictable with him on base leading off than with him on base further down the order. That makes it more difficult to neutralize his game. If I were a pitcher he would be the one guy on the team I would fear most. Batting third I would take my chances with the guy behind him. It's harder to do that if he's leading off

The problem with batting Ramirez leadoff is he's way too good to become a Soriano. He is flat out the best hitter in the lineup, and you bat your best guy third. He's got too much power to bat first and those power numbers are only going to rise next season. He will develop into a 100 RBI guy and needs to be in a spot in the lineup where he will get RBI opportunities.

The one thing that makes it extremley hard to move him out of the lead off spot is sacraficing his speed. With runners on ahead of him, he's going to have less opportunities to steal bags from the 3 hole. He was a 50+ SB guy in both his full seasons and it will be hard to keep that streak going from the 3 hole. We lose alot of our running game because he's only going to be able to steal 20-30 bags if he spends most of the season in the 3 spot.

If Maybin does not start on opening day (which probably won't be the case) then Ramirez has to start the season from the lead off spot because nobody else can lead off. Ross would probably be the center fielder until Maybin got there, so Ramirez is the only possibility to bat first wihtout Maybin in the line up.

For our sake I hope so, but it's highly doubtful. I am sure many here agree.

Because Uggla is a big power bat with huge RBI potential, and being a straight fastball hitter, needs some protection in the order. If Uggla had Jorge Cantu or Jose Castillo hitting behind him, how many fastballs do you think he's going to see compared to Willingham being behind him?